Hoyt Peep Alignment

Elkineer

FNG
Hi All. I’ve got a 2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant, and I just replaced my string with an ABB Platinum. I paid top dollar for a string in an attempt to keep perfect peep alignment over the next few years, but I can’t for the life of me get the peep to lay perfectly perpendicular to the string - it always tilts one way or the other. Adding twists to the string over corrects, so haven’t had luck with the string. I’ve tied several D loops trying to get it just right, but still can’t get it perpendicular. I’ve also reserved the center serving hoping to even out the natural string twist and potentially shift the position of the strings right where I want my peep. But no luck on that either. A local pro shop recommended adding twists to the yolks, but my cam lean is perfect right now, and paper tune verifies that it’s on. So don’t want to mess with the yolks. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get your peep set correctly when tying a D loop? Or any advice to get your peep aligned such that it stays perpendicular to the string throughout the draw cycle? Thanks in advance.

Rob5589

WKR
I've had strings that just won't align perfectly. What I do is tie/twist the d loop so that the peep aligns at draw.

wnelson14

WKR
Hi All. I’ve got a 2017 Hoyt Pro Defiant, and I just replaced my string with an ABB Platinum. I paid top dollar for a string in an attempt to keep perfect peep alignment over the next few years, but I can’t for the life of me get the peep to lay perfectly perpendicular to the string - it always tilts one way or the other. Adding twists to the string over corrects, so haven’t had luck with the string. I’ve tied several D loops trying to get it just right, but still can’t get it perpendicular. I’ve also reserved the center serving hoping to even out the natural string twist and potentially shift the position of the strings right where I want my peep. But no luck on that either. A local pro shop recommended adding twists to the yolks, but my cam lean is perfect right now, and paper tune verifies that it’s on. So don’t want to mess with the yolks. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get your peep set correctly when tying a D loop? Or any advice to get your peep aligned such that it stays perpendicular to the string throughout the draw cycle? Thanks in advance.
Had the exact same issue with ABB strings, I finally got the twists semi right I had to keep hand adjusting the peep before each shot, and the d loop tightened in the correct spot, shot it a decent amount nothing crazy, and one day it kind of just settled in and stayed in place. What I will say is don’t get frustrated in one sitting give it a few days.

I don't work on peep alignment until I put at least 100 shots on a new string/cable set. That gives things time to settle in to their final position.

If you can't get satisfactory peep alignment by adjusting the string in half twist increments, you could try moving individual string strands from one side of the peep to the other. If you use this method, maintain the same number of strands on each side of the peep. For example, if you move 2 string strands from the left side to the right side, you should also move 2 strands from the right side to the left side.

Another strategy would be to put in a silencer that fits between the string bundles (e.g., string leech) then slide the silencer up/down to fine tune peep alignment. Once you're happy with the alignment, you could add serving above and below the silencer to fix its position.

Marble

WKR
Usually a string twist will do it, either adding to the top or taken away from the bottom. So you may need to experiment a little bit. But it sounds like you have.

With your center serving, I had one guy wrap my serving in the wrong direction, another serve it too loose, another too tight.

The other thing I've done is out it in the press, pull the peep and reset it.

I wouldn't mess with the yokes. Never seen that to be the problem.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
E

Elkineer

FNG
Had the exact same issue with ABB strings, I finally got the twists semi right I had to keep hand adjusting the peep before each shot, and the d loop tightened in the correct spot, shot it a decent amount nothing crazy, and one day it kind of just settled in and stayed in place. What I will say is don’t get frustrated in one sitting give it a few days.
Thanks wnelson14. After reading a few other threads, I’m realizing the 20 or so shots I’ve put through the new string may not be enough for settling, even with a “premium” string.

OP
E

Elkineer

FNG
I don't work on peep alignment until I put at least 100 shots on a new string/cable set. That gives things time to settle in to their final position.

If you can't get satisfactory peep alignment by adjusting the string in half twist increments, you could try moving individual string strands from one side of the peep to the other. If you use this method, maintain the same number of strands on each side of the peep. For example, if you move 2 string strands from the left side to the right side, you should also move 2 strands from the right side to the left side.

Another strategy would be to put in a silencer that fits between the string bundles (e.g., string leech) then slide the silencer up/down to fine tune peep alignment. Once you're happy with the alignment, you could add serving above and below the silencer to fix its position.
These are great tips, thanks Mighty Mouse. I definitely haven’t put enough arrows through the new string to let it settle, so that may be part of my problem. I haven’t counted exactly but I’m at only 20 or so shots if I had to guess. Just enough to get arrows tuned messing with cam lean and rest position. If I still can’t get it right after 100 shots, I’ll try these tips.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks wnelson14. After reading a few other threads, I’m realizing the 20 or so shots I’ve put through the new string may not be enough for settling, even with a “premium” string.
You are correct. 20 shots isnt enough with any string. I never mess with my yoke(s) or twisting strings except for tuning purposes. I always move strands over, regardless of whether it's a two color string.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Put 100-200 shots through it then you’ll see it settle. Even the best strings need this because your bow loads the strings and cables differently than their linear jigs.

Dryfly1

FNG
As above you need more shots on the strings for them to settle. Patience I always have to remind myself of this when tuning on my bow.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How did you tie in your peep? That can make a difference as well. I just put a set of Platinum's on my Traverse. I've always gotten their next grade down which are also 452x and I've never had a problem with those. You just get the 1 year warranty instead of 2. But I got this Platinum set for free so I'm trying them out.

I only put maybe 25-30 shots through mine before installing my Raptor peep, but so far it's sitting right where it should be.