Hoyt RX4, my thoughts >>———->

ontarget7

WKR
ea3211125746c322c0919670b8c21abf.jpg

338ee8c7cfa22f21efcfa0f73987004a.jpg

Not ground breaking technology breakthroughs but nonetheless, there are notable differences that may matter to some when comparing the RX3 to RX4.

The biggest difference for me is the tweaking of the cam tracks that allow for a better overall tune setting. I am finding the RX4 more forgiving in nock travel. Whether pulling hard, soft or somewhere in between you don’t have the swings in tears through paper with bareshafts. All this while allowing you to tune top cam hitting slightly ahead and maintaining nock level at brace.
This has also paved the way to allow for more forgiveness at the grip, as I haven’t seen those high tears that has plagued them here and there the last few years in certain draw length settings.

Valley is a touch better, even in the #2 cam and the backwall firmer. I’m choosing to take the rubber out of the stop for a touch more firmness.

When comparing the #2 cam to the #3 cam I’m finding the 2 to be a little more quieter. They still aren’t Triax quiet but don’t really have any concerns myself in this area. Don’t see it costing me any concerns in the field.
It does have a slight pop to it on the shot due to the mass weight and hollow tube construction. Really no noticeable vibe, even while hitting the side of the limbs or on the shot.

Holds on target well so far with no really excessive pin float for its mass weight and how short it is.

Finish appearance wise is a little better but I feel the finish is the one area we still need to be perfected on carbon. Wouldn’t be surprised if the rattle can comes out at the end of a hard hunt for some touch up.

Right out of the box total adjustments needed for clean bareshafts to start are

1 full twist in right side yoke
1 full twist out of left side
1/2 twist in the control cable
Centershot 13/16 off leading edge of riser not rubber
Nock height dead level
Top cam hitting just shy of 1/16 ahead of the bottom cam

No real drastic changes to initial setting out of the box. Doesn’t get much easier

Specs
28” on the money true measured draw
74#
423 gr arrow
302-303 fps

Overall, I feel they nailed tune setting finally, at least to what I prefer them. Just a more forgiving setup and tune friendly.

d4689e342fb021a425cc6f8ae35a5559.jpg

086a3ec043cf9ce7b2c4b1ea4a7fda1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fingers

FNG
How is the pin float comared to the Evoke (can't remember for sure if that's the last bow you were shooting).

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
How is the pin float comared to the Evoke (can't remember for sure if that's the last bow you were shooting).

Man, I’ve tested and owned many bows since then.

I will try to do my best to answer this

They are different cams when comparing the two. Holding weight between the two are different, how they rollover and lock in at full draw is different. It really takes getting used to both and having your muscle memory kick in and adjust accordingly from one to another.

I feel to many don’t have the ability to do this as it’s quite pricey to go through bows when testing out to that extent. With different cam systems I feel there are Certian adjustments that need to be made on our part to see a bows full potential to the individual when comparing cam systems.

For me personally, I feel pin float is at least equal at this point with really not much time behind it. Fairly happy with it to be honest for the size,
mass weight and very little effort with stabilizer.

Hope that makes sense

fingers

FNG
I'm still shooting my Carbon Defiant 34, when I'm not shooting my recurve. I'm not sure it's worth an upgrade yet. What do you think I'm missing out on?

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I'm still shooting my Carbon Defiant 34, when I'm not shooting my recurve. I'm not sure it's worth an upgrade yet. What do you think I'm missing out on?

I didn’t care for tune settings as much as I wanted to like the Defiant I found it very grip sensitive and prone to a tail high reaction.

However, in your situation, enjoying both back and forth as you do, I would save your money and continue on

I need to finally get my arrows dialed in for my Satori

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I’ll probably place an order on another RX4 after the first of the year, just not sure if I go the same route of mix it up with the Ultra.

I’ve had quite a few PM’s asking about the VXR vs the RX4.

To be honest, for me personally the only areas I feel Mathews wins out is a little softer tone on the shot and finish is always more durable on aluminum vs carbon.

The RX4 wins out for me on fine tuning, overall balance, feel in the hand, draw cycle, grip and curb appeal.

Hoyt’s grip is stellar IMO. There is no lateral pin float like some grips that take a minute to get settled in. Take the Triax or VRX for comparing the short bows to my RX4 Alpha. I get less pin wobble laterally with the RX4 and it settles in faster. The grip is darn near impossible to rock a little laterally at full draw. I have very little differences in left to right impacts.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
This first pic is out of the RX4 with a 500 spine CX Nano RX ultra micro diameter shaft

333ed34ca02c1a8153a3c4cbff2687b0.jpg

The next pic is out of the RX4 with a 330 Hexx
21cb2155ada8d7d912d42ea9f2f70385.jpg

Now I did this test with the Kure to show how well they have improved with being forgiving to lateral cam movement from brace to full draw. The forgiveness in spine range is a huge improvement.

I can say the same for Hoyt changing to their new cam and half system. Not much movement laterally from brace to full draw and the pics above can attest to that.

Now, this pic is from a bow that is still perfectly in tune with bareshafts but has more lateral cam movement from brace to full draw.

330 Injection
f50e24e28bc7d4fbacf6e6a06edc48d9.jpg

Now, the same bow moving to a 500 spine
5b6a249ac49458f6214c3045f667d266.jpg

So, I’m finding the new RX4 with their current cam system and improved cam track in the RX4 every bit as forgiving as the Kure and their new system for 2020.

nphunter

WKR
How much difference are you noticing in these new bows vs a few year old bow? I'm currently shooting a 2014 CST with the Z5's and I have gone and shot almost every Hoyt made since buying mine. For me the next few years after 2014 Hoyt went backward at least when it came to smoothness on the draw. I'm 27.5" so a #2 cam shooter, my bow when tuned well calculates to 344fps. I have no issues tuning my bow now to get great arrow flight and bare shafts to hit with fletched arrows. I'm shooting a 490gr arrow and don't feel like my bow is overly loud and it still has less vibration than most new bows I have shot off the shelf (possibly not tuned well?). I have shot the RX3 and it is a nice bow but honestly to me even at 77lbs I feel it is just as easy to draw then the RX3 maxed out at around 74lbs, maybe that's because I'm used to it?

In your opinion what am I leaving on the table by not going out and buying a new one? Part of me wants to get a new one just because they are new, I also don't want to regret getting rid of a bow I've had great luck with. You shoot and tune way more than me or most for that matter and I would love to hear your feedback on this.

Thanks,

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
How much difference are you noticing in these new bows vs a few year old bow? I'm currently shooting a 2014 CST with the Z5's and I have gone and shot almost every Hoyt made since buying mine. For me the next few years after 2014 Hoyt went backward at least when it came to smoothness on the draw. I'm 27.5" so a #2 cam shooter, my bow when tuned well calculates to 344fps. I have no issues tuning my bow now to get great arrow flight and bare shafts to hit with fletched arrows. I'm shooting a 490gr arrow and don't feel like my bow is overly loud and it still has less vibration than most new bows I have shot off the shelf (possibly not tuned well?). I have shot the RX3 and it is a nice bow but honestly to me even at 77lbs I feel it is just as easy to draw then the RX3 maxed out at around 74lbs, maybe that's because I'm used to it?

In your opinion what am I leaving on the table by not going out and buying a new one? Part of me wants to get a new one just because they are new, I also don't want to regret getting rid of a bow I've had great luck with. You shoot and tune way more than me or most for that matter and I would love to hear your feedback on this.

Thanks,

That’s a tough question that ultimately you would have to answer.

Here’s my thoughts on the 2014 to say the 2020’s.

You will have a more forgiving hold on target due to the new cam system and how it applies more even loads on the limbs.
Less overall torque on the system
More forgiving to a wide range of spine
Grip debatable since it’s personal preference but I feel it’s improved
A little quieter as well in the current line
Better overall balance
Improved draw cycle to performance( I’m getting 345 ish out of my #2 cam)

Will you be more accurate ?

Honestly, probably not at first since your so accustom to your current bow. Now with time, I feel after muscle memory kicks in on a few changes I feel it definitely has potential that you would be more accurate with it.

Tough to answer but I did my best to break it down for you.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
You said the draw weight is at 74#. Is that with the 70# limbs or the 80# limbs on a #2 cam. I’ve always shot Mathews myself but feel like switching to Hoyt. Not a big fan of what Mathews has done with the grips and I always find myself replacing them. Held a rx3 and helix and liked how they felt. Going to be hitting the bow shop shortly to actually drive some arrows down range with both brands

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
You said the draw weight is at 74#. Is that with the 70# limbs or the 80# limbs on a #2 cam. I’ve always shot Mathews myself but feel like switching to Hoyt. Not a big fan of what Mathews has done with the grips and I always find myself replacing them. Held a rx3 and helix and liked how they felt. Going to be hitting the bow shop shortly to actually drive some arrows down range with both brands

Yes sir, 70# limbs
Hoyt’s grip and overall balance is still top on the charts for me.
Enjoy testing some new ones out

bat-cave

WKR
I'm curious as to the thoughts of the smart thoughts here on something I'm pondering. I am currently shoot an RX-1 with 70 lb limbs and very happy with the bow. My backup bow isn't something I'm happy with, so I've considered picking up a new bow and my backup likely becomes my RX-1 … or I buy a used RX-1. I have not had great experiences shooting shorter bows or speed bows … which leads me to think that maybe the Ultra is the way to go. However this being said, I'm curious as to what the thoughts are here on how something like a shorter RX-4 compares to my slightly longer RX-1? I find the RX-1 crazy easy to shoot and in fact it's the only bow that I have ever shot that I think I could consider a set of 80 lb limbs.

I have not shot the RX-4 yet, so I may be asking prematurely ... but would appreciate any insights you guys have.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I'm curious as to the thoughts of the smart thoughts here on something I'm pondering. I am currently shoot an RX-1 with 70 lb limbs and very happy with the bow. My backup bow isn't something I'm happy with, so I've considered picking up a new bow and my backup likely becomes my RX-1 … or I buy a used RX-1. I have not had great experiences shooting shorter bows or speed bows … which leads me to think that maybe the Ultra is the way to go. However this being said, I'm curious as to what the thoughts are here on how something like a shorter RX-4 compares to my slightly longer RX-1? I find the RX-1 crazy easy to shoot and in fact it's the only bow that I have ever shot that I think I could consider a set of 80 lb limbs.

I have not shot the RX-4 yet, so I may be asking prematurely ... but would appreciate any insights you guys have.

I owned the RX1 and would say you would be very pleased with the RX4

bat-cave

WKR
Thanks ontarget7 … any thoughts on the Alpha vs the Ultra? You obviously give up some speed, but I am curious as to how different your take is from the RX-4 Alpha to the RX-1 Carbon Redwrx. I will say, Id seriously consider the Axius for the $$. The carbon isn't night and day lighter and I question if it's really appreciably colder in the hand … I froze my backside, hand and pretty much everything else in Whitetail season in KS this year. That Carbon riser was not very warm! :) Thanks!

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Thanks ontarget7 … any thoughts on the Alpha vs the Ultra? You obviously give up some speed, but I am curious as to how different your take is from the RX-4 Alpha to the RX-1 Carbon Redwrx. I will say, Id seriously consider the Axius for the $$. The carbon isn't night and day lighter and I question if it's really appreciably colder in the hand … I froze my backside, hand and pretty much everything else in Whitetail season in KS this year. That Carbon riser was not very warm! :) Thanks!

Just depends on your draw length and if you can hit all your reference points with a shorter ATA. I don’t really have any concerns and only a 28” draw and really accurate with a short ATA so the more compact platform works great for me.

Well, I was shooting with an aluminum and carbon today in 19* weather and I can say for certain there is a huge difference in comfort, it’s not even close.

I’m a little partial to the carbons myself.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Shane are you going to test any of the prime black bows? Curious what your thoughts will be on them...

I may at some point
I will say I’m glad they added the ability to shim those cams. They were very limited to a certain grip stance so the ability to shim will give them room for adjustments. This will also help so you don’t have centershot measurements pushing past 1”.