HS Precision stocks

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
I’m having a rifle built and I’m down to ordering the stock. I’m down to HS Precision and McMillan. There is a HUGE price point difference, nearly double. This will be a dual purpose rifle, I’ll hunt with it and I’ll play with it at the range.

I am kinda leaning to the HS precision. Is McMillan worth the price difference? What kind of quality can I expect from HS precision?

I think the quality is definitely going to be way better but I think alot of the price difference comes down to Oz = cost

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
I have both and they are both very good stocks. With the McM's you can get a lot more options in color, shape, style, weight, and accessories.

I have quite a few HS Prec. stocks on builds and for their price point I think they're hard to beat. My only issue with the HS Prec. stocks is they have a fairly low comb height but that is easily fixed by installing a inexpensive Kydex adj. cheek piece and those Kydex adj. cheek risers add nearly no weight at all.

This is my 6.5-284 with HS Prec. stock and Kydex adj. cheek riser.
6.5-284 +P.jpg

Yeah I ordered a stock from them a few years ago for a well known production rifle. Paid for all the extras... inletting, drop-in fit, etc....was prepared to send my action/barrel in and guy convinced me it would fit perfectly. Stock arrived months later and didn't fit worth a damn, not even close. Had to take it to a local smith who was barely able to get it in there, and bed it....which cost me more money. Rifle didn't shoot as well as it did with original stock, so I ended up tossing the McMillan in the trash......didn't like the feel of the McMillan stock either.....lesson learned.

homers

WKR
I have and love a couple of McMillans I have. Dropped right in, perfect fit and finish.

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider

Antares

WKR
I've bought two McMillans in the past two years and I think they're the bee's knees. Great customer service too.

Adjustable Game Scout w/ standard fill and a Game Hunter w/ EDGE fill. Both Tikka inlets. I worked with them on the barrel channel for Game Scout because it was when Tikka just released the Roughtech/Veils with the D18 barrel contour and they didn't have a program for it yet. They were great to work with.

I love McMillans but there’s nothing wrong with HS as long as you’re ok with the weight. Grayboe is another company(McM spin-off) that offers solid stocks at a very good value.

DEJaca

FNG
The HS will be heavier in any configuration due to the bedding block. I like the fact that they can take a beating and my rifle still shoots great. If I were to build a sheep rifle it would have a McMillian on it for weight savings and they are very high quality stocks in my opinion. I have owned 3 and they all preformed great, with abuse. The McM better fits my hands but at almost twice the price on forum classifieds, I just run HS. My son put a CArms on his 280AI I just finished for him. Once we get done with load development, they may become my go to.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Kelly McMillan sold the company. Not sure what the new management is like. They have dropped a lot of inlets.

I don’t like Tom Houghton’s stocks. When you have to cast an aluminum pipe into the wrist to make them hold together, you need to beef up your process. I’ve owned 2 that cracked right down the pistol grip. Sold a lot of stocks with BS.

B23

WKR
In all fairness to the HS Prec. stocks, they're only heavier than McM's if you're comparing them to McM's Edge fill stocks and even then it'll depend on which stock profile it is. My McM A5's are much heavier than my HS Prec.

Ive got an HS on my 338 RUM. The weight is appreciated in that particular case. The only thing i would gripe about was the pad (frozen turd). Fit a kick eez to her and shes golden. One of my favorites.
Granted that's an older one. Maybe they changed their ways as of late.
Best of luck on your choice.

I have both and they are both very good stocks. With the McM's you can get a lot more options in color, shape, style, weight, and accessories.

I have quite a few HS Prec. stocks on builds and for their price point I think they're hard to beat. My only issue with the HS Prec. stocks is they have a fairly low comb height but that is easily fixed by installing a inexpensive Kydex adj. cheek piece and those Kydex adj. cheek risers add nearly no weight at all.

This is my 6.5-284 with HS Prec. stock and Kydex adj. cheek riser.
View attachment 318399
Where did you get the cheek plate for the stock?

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I have McMillan, B&C and HS. If for play and hunting, my preference is B&C. If I want top shelf, McMillan.

Have you looked at AG Composites? I like what they offer and are more middle of the road.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve always had B&C stocks. I bought into the hype and bought a McMillan edge filled stock for a Remington Model Seven a few years ago. I had to send it back 3 times to get the inletting correct. In the end, my rifle weighed the same as when I had my B&C stock on it.

B&C stocks have been a much better stock for me than the McMillan ever has. McMillan is definitely not worth all the hype.

I replaced my Weatherby FiberMark stock with a HS Precision I bought from Stocky Stocks. They had the one I needed in stock, and price was really good too.