Humbled 1st Timer

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Well... been thinking about throwing up a quick report on my first ever solo back pack hunt so here goes. First thing I need to do is publicly thank idahohikker (on this forum). He is a stand up guy that helped me get pointed in the right direction. A little background info. In my early 40's, decent shape, and grew up in northeast WI. Have been deer hunting for nearly 35 years. Last spring decided I needed more adventure. Did some research and bought a general season Idaho mule deer tag. On to my experience. Decided on unit :oops:, parked the truck, and took a well known trail back into the mountains about 6 miles (more on that mistake later) at day break the morning before the season opened. The trek in was glorious. Although it was physically tough the adrenaline and excitement made it enjoyable. Once I found my spot for camp I got set up and found a decent spot to glass before dark. The following 4 days were what I'm guessing were pretty standard. Got up early, climbed up, glassed, and then made my way back to camp just after dark. Saw some bucks but nothing better than a small 4 point. On day 5 I decided to make a longer push up a mountain I'd been eyeballing the entire time. Took the bare necessities for the day to keep my pack light and set out early. Made it to where I wanted to be and got set up. At that point I was dead tired, about 1.75 miles from my camp and another 6 miles from my truck. After a couple hours of glassing I had finally found a buck worthy of getting in the scope. Was all set up, heart thumping, and getting ready to click off the safety. Then, it dawned on me and here comes the mistake I referenced earlier. I was 100% unprepared to make 3 (maybe 4 including camp?) 13ish mile round trip treks back and forth to the truck with with this animal on my back. I had pushed myself so hard getting father into the "backcountry" than anyone else in that particular area that I didn't have the juice left in my tank to be able to do exactly what it was that I was there for. Side bar, I only had one day left before my family became my #1 priority and I needed to bolt. At that point I made a decision to put the rifle down and enjoy the moment. The next morning I packed up and hunted my way out. All that said, here's what I learned. In my opinion nothing can prepare someone for doing this, besides doing it. Just decide to go, research, do it, and make a few mistakes (hopefully non life threatening). I think about this experience almost every day and am planning on giving it another go in the fall of 2022, would be doing it this fall if not for a planned elk trip. Sorry for my terrible rambling w

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun experience! At least you saw a shooter buck, I’d count that as a win!
For what I worth, i don’t think it’s 3-4 round trips for a single mule deer. With a good pack you can get a while boned out deer in one trip. Should be 1 or 2 round trips with camp. Maybe you get the deer back to camp then split things up for two round trips from your camp site.

An elk on the other hand........

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Good call knowing your limitations, but I agree with Will. If you're in good enough shape to hike in that far with camp, going out in 2 trips tops should be doable

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
The 3 trip thing was a guess. Was so tired I thought "3 lighter trips would work... yeah lighter". But in the end couldn't even BS myself into it.

Originally from Pulaski, WI. Live toward Fond du Lac now. Actually ran into a fella that was from Manitowoc (if I remember correct) on my way out. He had walked in with his group a mile or two to hunt and was taking out a load of meat from a dandy buck. Running into him helped me come to the conclusion that in that area the deer see as many people 2 miles in that they see 6 miles in.

CAB

FNG
I think it is better to not pull the trigger if you are questioning how you are going to get an animal out at all. To me that is a smart hunter who thinks before shooting. I've heard a story of a friend that found a guy crying in the woods because he killed an elk and had no idea how to get it out. You can always go back and hell that buck might still be there. The big thing is you did something that is really tough by going to some place new and getting very close to packing out a muley.

If it was a draw unit I wouldn't care because the odds suck regardless. OTC tags are whole different story. Tons of ID resident hunters simply hunt wherever the internet says is awesome.

brn2hnt

WKR
The 3 trip thing was a guess. Was so tired I thought "3 lighter trips would work... yeah lighter". But in the end couldn't even BS myself into it.

Originally from Pulaski, WI. Live toward Fond du Lac now. Actually ran into a fella that was from Manitowoc (if I remember correct) on my way out. He had walked in with his group a mile or two to hunt and was taking out a load of meat from a dandy buck. Running into him helped me come to the conclusion that in that area the deer see as many people 2 miles in that they see 6 miles in.
Manitowoc is a real place? I thought it was just a made up name for that comedian on YT 😂

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
100% fail on my part. Know it's too late, but I edited out the unit #

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Dang right Manitowoc is real!! Sadly, most of the stuff WI is made fun of for is real 😞

Calbuck

WKR
I had a nice buck in my sights last year in a general unit as well. Only mature buck anyone in my group saw. And I was glassing next to my side x side..where this buck was, I could easily have killed it, but getting to it to get it outta there would have been an absolute nightmare! I passed. One thing about when you get one, you no longer have to try and be as quiet and stealthy, plus it allows you to relax just a bit. But if you felt you could't get him outta there, you made a great decision!

Good call on not shooting if you weren’t confident you could get it out. But like a couple others have said 2 trips max and you’d have been golden. One long tough hike is doable depending on how much your camp weighs.

Troutnut

FNG
Sounds like our hunts had a lot in common! I'm also from Wisconsin (years ago, though) and had a lot of help from Idahohikker planning my Idaho hunt. I shot my first mule deer this year at a similar distance into the backcountry, but I had a lot of time to get it out (and needed it). Great job on knowing your limits (including time constraints) and not biting off more than you're ready to chew out there! That takes some serious self control.

I think the number of hikes depends on your condition, camp weight, and skill boning out the deer. I got my buck and camp out in two leg-burner trips without deboning. I doubt three would ever be necessary, and there's no way in hell I'd try it in one. An NFL linebacker could one-trip it no problem though.

jolemons

WKR
Good points made. If I haven't killed something by the last 1.5-2 days of my hunt, I pack out knowing that I would need that time for meat packing and trophy care. Also, important for first timers to not over exert themselves. I get a kick out of all of the first time backpack hunters posting their plans to camp X miles deep then spike out another X miles deep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sounds like an amazing trip, and the wherewithal to know your limits and not back yourself into a having to make some potentially bad choices!

Sounds like a fantastic adventure! I don’t think you would have had to do more than 2 trips. A boned out mature Mule Deer is only 70lbs, that’s taking every scrap of meat and not trimming fat. But you made the best choice for you in that situation. Congrats
Matt