Hunt Quietly - Matt Rinella's new website and podcast

That's a more reasonable statement.
1% of hunter days and 34% of hunter days are very different. But you are correct residents do have more hunter days.

Another fun fact is overall NR are around 10% more successful than residents
I’ve always wondered what success rates were like NR vs resident.

That doesn’t shock me, NR generally have a lot more invested financially, between tag and trip costs, not to mention opportunity cost of maybe getting to go only once every few years.

But the residents generally know the area better and have more opportunities for pre season scouting.

Overall I’m not surprised however.

I’ve always wondered what success rates were like NR vs resident.

That doesn’t shock me, NR generally have a lot more invested financially, between tag and trip costs, not to mention opportunity cost of maybe getting to go only once every few years.

But the residents generally know the area better and have more opportunities for pre season scouting.

Overall I’m not surprised however.

I was surprised too, but it seems to be that way across the board. I feel there may be a little more outfitted success there, but you are right a lot more NR can put in a week at a time.

For elk, I personally have about 3 days to bow hunt and if I cant pull it off I have 3 more days with a rifle. What I do have on my side is I can watch for favorable weather, but it's still 4 hours one way. In reality scouting only gets you so far. It only takes one guy with a wheeler and bugle tube to blow out an entire drainage over a weekend no matter how many elk were in there the weekend before.

I trade scouting for kick ass wilderness trips where I will never hunt 👍.

Hunters who spend their time criticizing other hunters for hunting the wrong way and/or hunting for the wrong reasons are more potentially destructive to the future of hunting than anti-hunters will ever be. Hunting is one of the main tools of successful game management. Hunters need to kill the right number of animals each year in order to keep game populations in balance. And game management as a whole can't happen without the money that hunting generates. It's short-sighted and foolish to think that everything would be better if hunters just stopped spending money, boycotted landowners and guides, and all had the "right" motivations for hunting. The deer and elk who are killed every year during hunting season don't care why the guy or gal who killed them chose to go hunting. And they don't care if the guy or gal who killed them spent any money on the hunt or not. All of that only matters to some guy that gets his panties in a wad over some other hunter who isn't hunting the same way as him or with the same thoughts about hunting as him.

Matt just needs to go hunting however, wherever and whenever he wants to, and then he needs to quit worrying about how and why other hunters hunt. If he's successful in his endeavor to end paid hunting on private lands, he'll destroy game populations all across the country. If there's no value assigned to the animals, there will be no incentive for landowners to tolerate them on their land. They'll replace the wild game with livestock or some other cash crop. Matt isn't thinking about what would happen in response to and as a result of his proposed action.
Well stated Shane. It's interesting how actual management of the resource gets ignored when it might not play well within a given argument. I guess coming from a state with mostly private land helps to realize that resources must have a value to landowners over cattle, sheep, goats, crops, whatever for them to be incentivized to protect and manage the land for that resource.

Threads like this quickly demonstrate why hunters are our own worse enemy. It has little to do with posting pictures of animals, telling stories or showing videos of hunts ,etc, etc. It's because everyone thinks their way of doing it 'is" the right way, the ethical way, the traditional way, and we spend more time worrying over and attacking each other, to the point of frequently supporting the erosion of hunting priveleges/rights and somehow believing that erosion will miraculously stop when it gets to our "ideal" of what hunting should be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was surprised too, but it seems to be that way across the board. I feel there may be a little more outfitted success there, but you are right a lot more NR can put in a week at a time.

For elk, I personally have about 3 days to bow hunt and if I cant pull it off I have 3 more days with a rifle. What I do have on my side is I can watch for favorable weather, but it's still 4 hours one way. In reality scouting only gets you so far. It only takes one guy with a wheeler and bugle tube to blow out an entire drainage over a weekend no matter how many elk were in there the weekend before.

I trade scouting for kick ass wilderness trips where I will never hunt 👍.
Haha I’d take that trade!

I’d bet locals who are “serious” are probably more successful than the NR. That said there are probably a lot of residents who do it more for the social aspect and hunting is somewhat secondary to that.

That said there are probably a lot of residents who do it more for the social aspect and hunting is somewhat secondary to that.
This is exactly what it is. So many residents get a cheap tag just because and then barely hunt. It is amazing how much pressure drops off just after the first weekend. Many resident go out opening weekend and then are done. They dont have enough invested in it to care.

Love this and the whole idea
Can’t wait to listen. I admit I had IG and posted occasion for friends and family to see what I was up to but about a year or so ago I deleted everything besides this forum, AT, and YouTube which is next on the chopping block. Which is tough because the how to videos on Toyota Sequoias are so damn helpful!

Thanks for sharing. I like the fact that folks are at least talking about this. I think most of us are somewhat torn on this subject. I.e. bringing newcomers to hunting to ensure the future of the activity vs not ruining it by having droves if people running around on public land
New comers aren’t going to save hunting imo…..
Bringing someone new along and then having them be an advocate for hunting is two totally separate things to me, I think you can have the one without glorifying hunting on every platform and especially western big game hunting

Does this mean we shouldn't share hunting pictures this year on Rokslide? lol
No it just means some will be butt hurt when they see them. Tasteful pictures, imo, should be encouraged. Running and hiding is not the answer but neither is spitefully antagonizing. Be proud of who you are as a hunter, hunt legally for the right reasons, measure your actions against your own standard of ethics and stop judging everyone else harshly that doesnt hunt the way you do. If we all do that, we will have a positive impact on the people within our circle of influence and come voting day that will matter a helluva lot more than some influencer on social media.

I admit I had IG and posted occasion for friends and family to see what I was up to

This is the nuance that was missed, IMO, when all this first started.

Sharing pictures on your social media where its only visible to your family and close friends is no different than shooting out a text message or showing them when you see them next. However, the guy who shares it to his instagram publicly with a thousand hashtags, posts them to various forums full of strangers and Facebook groups who's seeking attention is what he's taking issue with. Those guys are doing it "for the likes", no matter how hard they try and justify it another way.

In short: private social media with your close friends, coworkers, family - okay.
Public social media with hashtags, seeking attention and likes - not okay.

Well stated Shane. It's interesting how actual management of the resource gets ignored when it might not play well within a given argument. I guess coming from a state with mostly private land helps to realize that resources must have a value to landowners over cattle, sheep, goats, crops, whatever for them to be incentivized to protect and manage the land for that resource.

Threads like this quickly demonstrate why hunters are our own worse enemy. It has little to do with posting pictures of animals, telling stories or showing videos of hunts ,etc, etc. It's because everyone thinks their way of doing it 'is" the right way, the ethical way, the traditional way, and we spend more time worrying over and attacking each other, to the point of frequently supporting the erosion of hunting priveleges/rights and somehow believing that erosion will miraculously stop when it gets to our "ideal" of what hunting should be.

Do you just ignore the instances where hunters posting on social media literally led to the ban of certain hunts? I agree with the other instances but you’re ignorant with this one. There are numerous occasions where bear hunting is banned because of social media. Also, think Cecil the lion.

And whoever thinks that because your SM is private means only your friends see your images I’ve got some snake oil to sell you at a killer price. Not just from seeing it over and over that’s it’s not just private, but I have a relative that works for Facebook. They can do whatever they want with any of your images whenever they want. Nothing is private and everything can be used against you. Wait ten years from now and your kid is trying to get a job and their employer who is also an animal rights type looks and sees “oh hey I see here at 15 years old you shot a bear, sorry we don’t hire your type”.

The reasons for having a diary you post on like a teenage girl for the likes just don’t out weigh the negatives in the hunting sphere. Of course I like sharing success with friends and family, but that’s what txt messages are for. Who needs their grade school friend who they haven’t seen in 20 years to see a picture of a bloody animal?

Matt Rinella for ruler of the hunting world 2024 please! I’m tired of the other brother spot burning to the masses…

I don’t think hunters criticizing our own actions is destructive in the least. We should all be interested in perpetual self-correction - with the idea of refining that which we are criticizing to make it better.

Back in the late 1920s Kenya lion and leopard were so numerous and problematic they considered vermin. Some visiting hunters would kill a dozen in a trip - often shooting from cars. One outfit killed almost 700 lion in a single year.

Several white hunters (we would call them professional hunters today) protested their status as vermin and asked for them to go on license. Some areas were restricted even more.

Other white hunters criticized these moves as anti-hunting, pandering to the animal rights movement etc - remember, this was about 1928.

The point? Those calling for change in the way lion and leopard hunting was conducted were absolutely right. They knew their shortsightedness would produce long-term issues.

I think what Matt is doing is identical (and I told him as much - this example included). Simply asking whether we are looking far enough ahead, and whether our actions today will make things better or worse in the future is something I can’t see anyone disagreeing with.

Do you just ignore the instances where hunters posting on social media literally led to the ban of certain hunts? I agree with the other instances but you’re ignorant with this one. There are numerous occasions where bear hunting is banned because of social media. Also, think Cecil the lion.

And whoever thinks that because your SM is private means only your friends see your images I’ve got some snake oil to sell you at a killer price. Not just from seeing it over and over that’s it’s not just private, but I have a relative that works for Facebook. They can do whatever they want with any of your images whenever they want. Nothing is private and everything can be used against you. Wait ten years from now and your kid is trying to get a job and their employer who is also an animal rights type looks and sees “oh hey I see here at 15 years old you shot a bear, sorry we don’t hire your type”.

The reasons for having a diary you post on like a teenage girl for the likes just don’t out weigh the negatives in the hunting sphere. Of course I like sharing success with friends and family, but that’s what txt messages are for. Who needs their grade school friend who they haven’t seen in 20 years to see a picture of a bloody animal?

Matt Rinella for ruler of the hunting world 2024 please! I’m tired of the other brother spot burning to the masses…
Thank you for offering up an example of the point I was making. Folks believe what they believe is righteous and attack others who think differently. Social media has it's good and it's bad. Heck, we are discussing this via social media now. For the record, I don't use book, twitter, insta, or anything else except a few hunting forums and some youtube. I also don't believe social media does near as much harm as hunters always wanting to tell others how they should conduct themselves. Nor do I believe hiding what we do will make one bit of difference to those opposed. But, it's ok. We can agree to disagree and I won't resort to calling you ignorant because of it.

Thank you for offering up an example of the point I was making. Folks believe what they believe is righteous and attack others who think differently. Social media has it's good and it's bad. Heck, we are discussing this via social media now. For the record, I don't use book, twitter, insta, or anything else except a few hunting forums and some youtube. I also don't believe social media does near as much harm as hunters always wanting to tell others how they should conduct themselves. Nor do I believe hiding what we do will make one bit of difference to those opposed. But, it's ok. We can agree to disagree and I won't resort to calling you ignorant because of it.

That’s honorable and I can appreciate that. However, I’d like you to address the fact that social media has led to some hunting rights taken away. (BC grizzly hunt, Bowmar black bear spear hunt), both of these hunts eliminated because of SM posting videos and pictures of bloody dead bear. When has it ever led to more hunting rights? This isn’t hunters attacking hunters for the way they hunt, this is recognizing that SM can be dangerous for all of us and we all share the responsibility. But people are so addicted and some financially tied to SM and they won’t stop for their own selfish reasons. Too bad it’s not a majority pro hunting world that we live in but we can’t change that. We can control what we post, however.

That’s honorable and I can appreciate that. However, I’d like you to address the fact that social media has led to some hunting rights taken away. (BC grizzly hunt, Bowmar black bear spear hunt), both of these hunts eliminated because of SM posting videos and pictures of bloody dead bear. When has it ever led to more hunting rights? This isn’t hunters attacking hunters for the way they hunt, this is recognizing that SM can be dangerous for all of us and we all share the responsibility. But people are so addicted and some financially tied to SM and they won’t stop for their own selfish reasons. Too bad it’s not a majority pro hunting world that we live in but we can’t change that. We can control what we post, however.
You asked, so I'll touch on it. Those things may have contributed, but I see it as quite a reach to say they were the cause. Single events like that just don't have that much power and many other factors were already at play. Laying any loss of hunting priveleges at the foot of a single posted picture or video is ignoring a lot of the other factors going on, imo. I just don't see pictures with harvested animals as a "danger" to hunting. Heck, I have pictures of me with animals and fish in my classroom at school. Those have opened up a lot of very productive conversations with kids who are very much in that non-hunting middle ground and even some anti-hunting kids. Have never had a negative reaction yet, even from a couple who were from a staunchly anti eating any animals family. So in that case, far more good has come from those pictures of dead animals than negative. And I agree hunters sometimes post things that reflect negatively. So does every other population segment.

I just don't believe a strategy of appeasement by hiding hunting from the public is a successful or productive path forward. I believe educating and opening dialog with that middle ground is far more productive than hiding away. I've taught bowhunter education to students with zero intentions of ever hunting, but wanting to learn about hunting and why hunters do what we do.

Again, just my thoughts and I don't expect others to be bound by my personal ethos any more than I expect to be bound by theirs.

Hey hunters quit being attention whores... Subscribe to my podcast and check out my website. . -matt rinella

Makes a lot of sense to me
Matt is a good guy. However, I gotta say that his "hunt quietly movement" reminds me of the scene in Airheads where the DJ asks the guys their band name.

FE9BC85F-87D6-4742-99E8-D7CB17B4EE2A.jpeg"We're the lone rangers!"

Last edited:
You asked, so I'll touch on it. Those things may have contributed, but I see it as quite a reach to say they were the cause. Single events like that just don't have that much power and many other factors were already at play. Laying any loss of hunting priveleges at the foot of a single posted picture or video is ignoring a lot of the other factors going on, imo. I just don't see pictures with harvested animals as a "danger" to hunting. Heck, I have pictures of me with animals and fish in my classroom at school. Those have opened up a lot of very productive conversations with kids who are very much in that non-hunting middle ground and even some anti-hunting kids. Have never had a negative reaction yet, even from a couple who were from a staunchly anti eating any animals family. So in that case, far more good has come from those pictures of dead animals than negative. And I agree hunters sometimes post things that reflect negatively. So does every other population segment.

I just don't believe a strategy of appeasement by hiding hunting from the public is a successful or productive path forward. I believe educating and opening dialog with that middle ground is far more productive than hiding away. I've taught bowhunter education to students with zero intentions of ever hunting, but wanting to learn about hunting and why hunters do what we do.

Again, just my thoughts and I don't expect others to be bound by my personal ethos any more than I expect to be bound by theirs.

Fair enough! I’ll just add I think there’s a big difference between face to face conversation and SM. You can tell the whole story in person. I’m sure most would agree.

Happy to hear about your classroom interactions, love it!

Sorry if I came across harsh as it’s not my intent. I’m super passionate about big tech in hunting and what’s happening with opportunity loss. I’m all about promoting conservation and I really believe there’s a healthier way for the “industry” to move forward without all the kill shots, brand pimping, etc etc. But I guess at the end of the day we have the best system on the planet and I enjoy it. Hope you have a good season this year, cheers.

Back