Hunter Numbers and Health

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
So I decided to do some digging.... most reliable source I could find for total hunter numbers by age group was the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife associated Recreation (FHWAR) conducted by the U.S Fish & Wildlife service.

Link to 2022 survey here: https://www.fws.gov/program/national-survey-fishing-hunting-and-wildlife-associated-recreation-fhwar . Past surveys are available if you click the "Past FHWAR Surveys" on the left.

Interesting Takeaways:
Hunter numbers were actually steadily decreasing every year, until Covid. They only do these roughly every 5 years it looks like, but here were the numbers.

2011: 13.7 million total hunters
2016: 11.5 million total hunters
2022: 14.4 million total hunters

What's interesting is the majority of these new hunters did not come from children. They were "adult onset" hunters, 25+. Makes sense as we saw remote workers due to Covid searching for outdoor recreation.
1698115781010.png

If we consider Covid a peak, and we go back to normal hunter recruitment and attrition. In 10 years we will loose 2.8 million total hunters. And this does not take into account some of the Covid hunters loosing interest, decreased birth rates every year, overall fewer % of kids getting into hunting, increased aging out due to health, etc.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
So I decided to do some digging.... most reliable source I could find for total hunter numbers by age group was the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife associated Recreation (FHWAR) conducted by the U.S Fish & Wildlife service.

Link to 2022 survey here: https://www.fws.gov/program/national-survey-fishing-hunting-and-wildlife-associated-recreation-fhwar . Past surveys are available if you click the "Past FHWAR Surveys" on the left.

Interesting Takeaways:
Hunter numbers were actually steadily decreasing every year, until Covid. They only do these roughly every 5 years it looks like, but here were the numbers.

2011: 13.7 million total hunters
2016: 11.5 million total hunters
2022: 14.4 million total hunters

What's interesting is the majority of these new hunters did not come from children. They were "adult onset" hunters, 25+. Makes sense as we saw remote workers due to Covid searching for outdoor recreation.
View attachment 617824

If we consider Covid a peak, and we go back to normal hunter recruitment and attrition. In 10 years we will loose 2.8 million total hunters. And this does not take into account some of the Covid hunters loosing interest, decreased birth rates every year, overall fewer % of kids getting into hunting, increased aging out due to health, etc.

"The 2022 estimates should not be directly compared with results from past surveys because of changes in methodology to improve accuracy."

That's on the home page and just FYI.

I've been watching this hunter-numbers thing for many years, and the data has always shown me that big-game hunter numbers are healthy and definitely NOT declining, but small game is in trouble.

Percentage of the population?? ---Yeah, hunters are in trouble.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
"The 2022 estimates should not be directly compared with results from past surveys because of changes in methodology to improve accuracy."

That's on the home page and just FYI.

I've been watching this hunter-numbers thing for many years, and the data has always shown me that big-game hunter numbers are healthy and definitely NOT declining, but small game is in trouble.

Percentage of the population?? ---Yeah, hunters are in trouble.
I do not think that is in relation to hunters, but could be wrong. The data they have on hunters would be very easy to get from licenses and tags, and the numbers of hunters in different age groups, etc. jive between the different reports.

I think this is in reference to "shooters, archers, boaters, and birdwatchers" which I imagine would be harder to quantify.

The hunting section of each of these reports breaks it up into big game and small game. Actually looks about even between the two, on increase/decrease from year to year.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
Here's the full caveat, from the site:

2022 Survey Results

The most recently conducted survey publication is the 2022 FHWAR. This survey features data on 2022 participation in fishing, hunting, and wildlife-watching. The survey also provides data on shooters, archers, and boaters. The 2022 estimates should not be directly compared with results from past surveys because of changes in methodology to improve accuracy.

Nothing there says the *hunter* numbers could be hinky or might not be hinky. All it says is that all the numbers in this survey cannot be compared to all the numbers in past surveys.

Whether that's what they meant is a different story. Maybe they've got a Clemson-grad-turned-government-worker typing web pages who's never had to be accountable for accuracy, nuance, or clear writing.

Hoo nos?

But from what I've seen published, and with my own lyin' eyes, absolute numbers of big game hunters are not hurting, small game hunting is, and hunter percentage of the population definitely is.

Mark my words.

Big game hunting, in my lifetime (assuming I live to a ripe old age)- will run a similar course as fishing and upland hunting has in many western states.

We will have state agency funded big game “hatcheries” that churn out critters that are let loose sometime in August onto whatever public land remains. Each with a barcoded ear tag or rfid chip. Tags are limited but they let a LOT of them out so people don’t bitch too much.

It starts as a result of some kind of illness that causes people to cry “do something!!” Just like they did with the fishing. CWD and Blue Tongue are prime candidates and at least a couple states are already starting to hear the cash register ring. Are you paying attention yet?

Once it starts, and people find that road hunting and window shooting these tame
Critters is big fun and tastes great - it will pick up speed amid more calls to “do something!!” about the lack of opportunities to find native big game. Habitat becomes even less
Important since these critters are really only on the landscape for a few months until they are killed. Discounted tags offered in January to clean up any lucky enough to survive the season.

Then about ten years or so after it really picks up speed- I’ll be long gone by this point- there will be this revelation that a couple of the hatchery deer and elk have cross bred with the native critters and that’s bad.

So, we will have a period of the next 20 years with the state agencies expanding their budgets even more, hiring more people and collecting more money through invasive big game stickers and atv check stations to ensure no cross-bred critters are transported with fee revenue all pouring money in to stop the spread of the invasive cross-bred “IdaMont hybrid mule deer” all the while the big game hatcheries keep cranking out the big game food stamp fodder.

Think I’m wrong? Look at the fish hatchery program history of every single western state and then go to a reservoir where they plant gullible pasty white rainbow trout on the day they put them in.

Then, next month go to ANY state wildlife management area where they plant pheasants in the morning only to watch tools show up to slaughter the nearly flightless birds until they are gone. If the agencies even HINT at the prospect of stopping the practice- the “sportsmen” revolt and demand they continue!!!

Then tell me with a straight face it can’t happen.
I don’t know if it’ll go down like that, but this is an amazing post

On a side note,it seems a lot of hunts are starting at 10000 and going to 6 figures.If theres signs i slowing down i dont see it.Who can afford that unless your a doc,lawyer etc.Look at what people pay for vehicles.It’s seems like it’s a sign of prestige now days to be big game hunter,or drive the raptor to deer camp towing your 50000 sxs.
Then don't use a guide and lodge.