Hunting Boulder county

Loo.wii

WKR
Out of desperation I picked up a boulder county Deer tag for 2 rifle unit 29 specifically . What have your experiences been in that part of Colorado? I plan on carrying both my bow and rifle around just to be safe. Im not asking for any hand outs and this unit is pretty much a throw away based on its location.

Also. Does anyone here have the clout to petition for an urban archery season? Where I used to live had one.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you carry a bow? I've hunted it when I was living on the front range. There are lots of deer in the boulder county open space which is no hunting and low country in the suburbs, also no hunting. Very very few deer and a bunch of hunters on the national forest in the western portion of the unit. If my only option to deer hunt was unit 29, I would look into going out of state or skipping a year. Not worth it in my opinion. It the only place I've experienced hunter harassment (multiple people, multiple times) and had the sheriff called on me (twice) for 100% legally hunting public land.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Why would you carry a bow? I've hunted it when I was living on the front range. There are lots of deer in the boulder county open space which is no hunting and low country in the suburbs, also no hunting. Very very few deer and a bunch of hunters on the national forest in the western portion of the unit. If my only option to deer hunt was unit 29, I would look into going out of state or skipping a year. Not worth it in my opinion. It the only place I've experienced hunter harassment (multiple people, multiple times) and had the sheriff called on me (twice) for 100% legally hunting public land.
I would carry a bow simply because it would be easier to convince someone to shoot a deer on their property if they see primitive weapons as less dangerous. I just want to get some time on the ground. i already have 2 weeks set aside for elk so I just want to be able to squeeze out a few days during the week for a deer.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, good luck with the hunt. I would avoid the Sugarloaf area north of Boulder canyon. In past years there have been a group of residents that protest hunting on the morning of opening day with signs at the turnoff and harass hunters.

If you haven't been in the area the vast majority of the private properties are very small subdivision parcels (an acre or less), scattered throughout the unit. You'll likely be within eye and ear sight of people's houses and yards everywhere in the mid to eastern portion of the unit. It is really hunting an urban interface where the deer will concentrate.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Gotcha, good luck with the hunt. I would avoid the Sugarloaf area north of Boulder canyon. In past years there have been a group of residents that protest hunting on the morning of opening day with signs at the turnoff and harass hunters.

If you haven't been in the area the vast majority of the private properties are very small subdivision parcels (an acre or less), scattered throughout the unit. You'll likely be within eye and ear sight of people's houses and yards everywhere in the mid to eastern portion of the unit. It is really hunting an urban interface where the deer will concentrate.
LOL ill go there and call them racist pieces of shit and watch their heads explode. Ill also make sure to thank CPW for their DEI initiative.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Google search for "D 27 DAU Plan Boulder Creek". It is the CPW's deer management for unit 29. I posted a small snippet of what the CPW has identified as significant issues in gmu 29.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-25-10-16-46-88_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-25-10-16-46-88_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 60

Hnthrdr

WKR
Very familiar, one of my best friends lives in gold hill, grew up hunting in and around the place. Has never been friendly to hunters, but it seems to just get progressively worse. I wouldn’t worry about taking a bow, I’m not sure I would waste time asking for permissions. I would just focus on hunting public and being meticulous. There are a few deer out there in the NF, but like the west said it is hard hunting. There is a reason they are leftover every year. And every year guys learn the hard way or they occasionally tag a buck. I would be extra cautious around homes and people though. Those boulder county crazies are continually trying to get hunting banned in that unit. I don’t want to give them any ammo for that.

How long is your drive to the unit? If you are close, I’m about 15 min away probably not bad to get out, but why some out of staters get this tag will never cease to amaze me. Definitely not ideal western hunting

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Very familiar, one of my best friends lives in gold hill, grew up hunting in and around the place. Has never been friendly to hunters, but it seems to just get progressively worse. I wouldn’t worry about taking a bow, I’m not sure I would waste time asking for permissions. I would just focus on hunting public and being meticulous. There are a few deer out there in the NF, but like the west said it is hard hunting. There is a reason they are leftover every year. And every year guys learn the hard way or they occasionally tag a buck. I would be extra cautious around homes and people though. Those boulder county crazies are continually trying to get hunting banned in that unit. I don’t want to give them any ammo for that.

How long is your drive to the unit? If you are close, I’m about 15 min away probably not bad to get out, but why some out of staters get this tag will never cease to amaze me. Definitely not ideal western hunting
im about 45 minutes away

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Google search for "D 27 DAU Plan Boulder Creek". It is the CPW's deer management for unit 29. I posted a small snippet of what the CPW has identified as significant issues in gmu 29.
urban archery. boom problem solved

Hnthrdr

WKR
urban archery. boom problem solved
Being 45 min probably worth poking around some, if I was further than that I think it would feel like an exercise in futility, you will see NR out hitting it hard no doubt though haha 😂

There are so many awesome spots for urban archery but Co is about 35 years too late for anything like that. Heck my buddies dad killed his first buck on the hog back west of C-470 a few decades back

street

WKR
I live in the unit. I've seen a couple big bucks in that unit this year. They are in there; mostly the challenge will be finding one on public. Enough time in there, it could be done. it's easy to not engage with the crazy people.

dusky

FNG
There are deer but like said, they are tough to find on public, so you have to put in time, and the people are quite anti-hunter throughout the unit. There aren't good glassing areas. Try the tops of hills with aspens.