Hunting in Griz Country— handgun or bear spray?

Fun Guy

FNG
"Skinny, fast bullets" are favored by guys like Chris Forrest with Tactic in Montana who have tested a lot of differet calibers/loads to see what is worth carrying for bear defense. 9MM isn't as good as a 10MM, but it has proven itself lethal against grizzlies multiple times when loaded with the BB 147 grain +p Outdoorsman. It is carried by a lot of hunters as they can shoot it accurately and practice ammo is cheap.

The 45ACP shoots a fatter, slower bullet which may not penetrate as well. The 45ACP and 10MM shoot a similar sized projectile but the 10MM is loaded to a much higher pressure so people who want to use a heavier grain load are going to choose that option. Some people struggle with accuracy with the 10MM so the 9MM is a better choice for them especially if they already own one. I'd definitely carry the 9mm over the 45ACP.

Last edited:
If you have to ask you should use spray. It is more forgiving as far as aiming, it provides a steady stream. You also won't eject the mag in a panic and you won't kill your hunting partner trying to shoot the bear, both of which happen.
IF you are realy, truely proficient with your pistol then you probably would already know the answer.

pm07

FNG
I carry both in North Ga. Usually a G19 with a comp and a dot, with some hardcast rounds that I have had for so long I forgot where they came from. I also have a G22 I have been looking at as a alternate but I'm so used to the 19 it's hard to make the switch.

Pdzoller

WKR
How fast can you draw and shoot your 9mm accurately vs a brand new hand cannon?

Personally I can draw and put three rounds on target with my 9mm much faster than I can with my 10mm.

My guess would be that most guys (including myself) aren’t getting more than one or two shots off, if that before contact in a surprise situation.

Best defense is awareness in any situation.

Hunting Wyoming grizzly country last year, it was seldom that the wind was calm enough to deploy spray. Gun for sure!

I came around a corner on my mountain bike last tuesday. I saw the bear at about 20 yards out. He ran up the hill and i kept going. In that scenario, if he would have charged me, i would not have been able to get to anything. My bear spray was on my back in a camel back pocket. It does not matter what you have, if you can't get to it in about under a second.

Fun Guy

FNG
I keep spray on my left side on hip or cargo pocket, pistol on right side. Can get to either in one second. I had a Montana Game Warden tell me a story a few years ago about an encounter he had in the Beartooths, he said the only thing that saved his ass was that his spray was in his cargo pocket. He urges people to run spray low where the hands naturally are to expedite deployment.

tburke86

FNG
I carried spray and/or a shotgun with brenneke slugs when I lived in Kodiak. I had a bear bluff charge me once when I was fishing by myself. I was standing on the bank of a creek while the bear was walking down the middle of the channel. I tried to get a picture of him. Had my phone in one hand to get a pic and my shotgun in my other. Bear got closer than I wanted so I gave him a “hey bear!” So he would see me. He was startled and took a couple big lunges toward me. Naturally I got a little shook, dropped my phone and attempted to shoulder my gun. Luckily he was just as scared as I was and turned around back the direction he came from before things escalated further. Moral of the story, those animals are fast! No way I would have gotten a shot off had he decided to keep coming and that’s with a chambered gun in hand.
Today i still choose a gun over the spray. If you haven’t done it, test a can of bear spray. It’s pretty underwhelming.

MakAttack

FNG
Classified Approved
To a comment about using a rifle early in this thread, it's kinda trendy for guys to have their rifles strapped to their packs, basically every pack maker out there has an option, or guys just buckle the rifle with the webbing on the back of their pack while they hike around. That might not be everyone's case, but I prefer to hunt like we did in ranger regiment, loaded chambered rifle is in your hands at all times. That includes the helicopter ride in and the hikes in the mountains. I've seen many hunters, especially in the magazines and online pics with the rifle on their back.

Duh

WKR
Having been OC’d and OC’ing my fair share of people in fights (job related), I’d always seem to get the effects of OC spray. Regardless of wind direction spray always seems to get back to you one way or another. One time it damn near took me out of a scuffle and I stopped using it after that.

Friendly fires a real possibility with either spray or a pistol.

Bears and people are not the same but close quarters spray sucks a bag of d*#%’s. I’d take my chances with any pistol over spray. Plus, I think the majority of guys could draw a pistol faster than a fat can of spray.

I recommend spray. Because the Wyatt Earps here in this country are more apt to shoot themselves or others when wielding a handgun.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Just make sure to ask the bear to stand downwind. I’m a big fan of bear spray and it’s all I’ve ever carried on trails in WY or MT. Because I didn’t travel with a gun. The only time I saw or had bear sign I had nothing. When I had spray I was always aware of the wind. I don’t think bears want anything to do with us usually and the only way we have issue is if we surprise them. Meaning they didn’t smell us coming. So we are downwind in that scenario. I’ve hit myself with mace once in the past and I’d imagine bear spray is similar and the first few bites or paw swipes will hardly be noticed over the burning sensation. Fly fishing in AK this summer we came upon a brown at a river mouth. It looked at us and eventually walked away in no rush. The guide had 44mag. I’d say if you train and can shoot have both. I’ll check my 10mm next time because I’ve left enough bear spray as donations.

BASSFAN07

FNG
Having been OC’d and OC’ing my fair share of people in fights (job related), I’d always seem to get the effects of OC spray. Regardless of wind direction spray always seems to get back to you one way or another. One time it damn near took me out of a scuffle and I stopped using it after that.

Friendly fires a real possibility with either spray or a pistol.

Bears and people are not the same but close quarters spray sucks a bag of d*#%’s. I’d take my chances with any pistol over spray. Plus, I think the majority of guys could draw a pistol faster than a fat can of spray.

I always refer to OC as an equal opportunity offender and everyone gets a taste when it is deployed. Too many factors. If you carry it, just like the weapon, you better know the capabilities of the tool. I prefer hole punchers.

Reactions: Duh

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted in bear country for fifty years, both grizzly and black. If I'm carrying a rifle I don't carry anything else. I usually have a pistol in camp but have never carried spray. Fishing I have my revolver in a chest holster, bears don't like to be wacked on the nose with your fishing rod.

Likely to not matter if you rely upon a rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, bear spray, RPG, machete, BJJ, cattle prod, Taco Bell aftershocks, etc. to stop a threat if you do not practice bringing it into action, on target and getting a highly accurate "shot" in a few seconds or less.

I vote carry both. Pistol on the backpack hip belt, bear spray on my chest rig opposite my range finder.

I think of it in terms of what I am willing and capable of doing. If I am going to use my pistol I would like to draw and fire in a linear situation. If I am in a nonlinear, western situation I don’t want to worry about friendly fire or line of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk