"Hunting" knife vs fillet/boning knife

As of right now I have 4 blades that are stainless. A victorinox I found while backpacking, a pen knife folder I found in the potomac river while fishing, MKC Jackstone, and a Zwilling/Henkel 4 star boning knife. I had another Zwilling 4 star but gave it away recently. I've ditched all other stainless.

The boning knife is very flexible and holds an edge well enough for butchering at the house where I have access to a knife steel. I actually like the SS that Zwilling uses in their 4 start knives.

The victorinox seems to stay "good enough" for a long while. Same with the pen knife that I found. These get mostly used for small random task

The Jackstone hasn't been re-sharpened yet, but it does get cleaned up decently on a knife steel. Its still in the testing phase. Once I have to actually sharpen it, I'll know if I want to replace a few kitchen knives with a magnacut version.

I managed to inherit my wife's grandmothers kitchen knives. Case XX from about the 1940's.. they have a skinner type profile with a large front belly swoop. They hold a sharp edge for a long time and clean up very very nicely with a knife steel. I don't like these knifes for vegetables, but they're great for cutting meat and butchering deer

Benchmade just released a new line of fishing knives but I think a couple of them would make great hunting knives. The 7" fillet knife in magnacut might be a great boning knife and the small Intersect "bait knife" seems like it would be a handy little skinner. BTW, who the heck is going to use a $200 magnacut knife as a bait knife???

Benchmade just released a new line of fishing knives but I think a couple of them would make great hunting knives. The 7" fillet knife in magnacut might be a great boning knife and the small Intersect "bait knife" seems like it would be a handy little skinner. BTW, who the heck is going to use a $200 magnacut knife as a bait knife???

Someone who fishes 4x a year. Guarantee you won't find one of those on a commercial fishing boat. Nobody wants to loose a $200 knife overboard. I can about guarantee commercial fishers and charter boat guys are using victorinox $25 knives

2-Stix

WKR
Someone who fishes 4x a year. Guarantee you won't find one of those on a commercial fishing boat. Nobody wants to loose a $200 knife overboard. I can about guarantee commercial fishers and charter boat guys are using victorinox $25 knives
100% that is what they use.

In the the woods I take a Benchmade Steep County (3oz) and a Worksharp Pocket Sharpener (2.4oz) and a small Outdoor Edge 8"saw (5.4oz). In the bino harness I have a Buck 110 light weight folder (3.2oz) in case I get separated from my pack or the other knife has an issue, etc. Often I use both and I dont need to touch any of them up. Pretty light set up...14oz.

At camp I have a big butchers hack saw, a few bigger fix blades, and boning knives.