Hunting/Non-Hunting Company Preference

Do You Prefer Non-Hunting Companies over Hunting Companies for Outdoor Gear?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
I go with non-hunting companies for outdoor clothing. I don't like camp and think non-hunting clothing is better, often for less many. The non-hunting companies are longer established and often have a customer base that uses the gear more aggressively (particularly for mountaineering brands). To each their own. I'm always surprised by the number of posts regarding clothing from hunting companies when their gear really isn't impressive to me.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
The only difficulty I have with this, is finding companies that don't support big green, anti-trapping, anti-hunting and anti 2A organizations.. I do my best to be certain that my dollar supports companies that support my lifestyle and livelihood..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I try to not knowingly give my money to anti hunting, anti gun companies. I have made some purchases from REI when necessary. They claim to not oppose hunting but, aren't hunting centric, either.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I buy from both, but will try to buy from hunting companies when possible. I have found many of the mountaineering companies make great western gear and have used Prana pants, marmot rain gear and Patagonia fleece. But for whitetail hunting out of a treestand on a cold day the hunting gear designed for the task is a better option.

Diesel

WKR
Try to support pro hunting companies first. I have pieces from mountaineering geared companies filling gaps in hunting clothes.

But honestly, I have only recently bought clothes used specifically for hunting. I always just made do with what I had when it came to hunting. I am retired now and have the time to make myself comfortable and am building hunting gear to fit my purpose while keeping pieces to a minimum.

Quiet, warm, windproof, pocket functional and durable are most important to me when it comes to what pieces I seek out. Camo outer layer for turkey and archery is another criteria for those seasons.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I use the best piece for the job period. You will find that most clothing hunting/Non-hunting is very close now in quality from the top brands. I will always choose pro-hunting companies if the price is relatively close.

If the price is your main issue with top hunting brands, your buying at the wrong time:)

OP
I
Interesting. I think the consensus is guys want to support hunting companies and in my opinion are paying a premium to do so.

OP
I
Interesting. I think the consensus is guys want to support hunting companies and in my opinion are paying a premium to do so.

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have sitka, first lite and kuiu I also have a patigona down jacket that I layer with ,during a elk hunt I tore a hole in the sleeve of the patigona jacket I called to check on a repair cost they asked for my email immediately sent me a paid shipping label and said they would fix it for free.Sent it in had it back in 3 weeks with a thank you note for letting them fix it it was totally my fault and they put a new sleeve on it and I didn’t pay anything.I have not had any warranty work done with my sitka first lite or kuiu but wander if it would have been the same result I have no idea,I will continue to support sitka first lite and kuiu but if patigona has something that I will use I have no problem using my hard earned money to buy it knowing that if something happens to it they will take care of it.

OP
I
The recreation industry and hunters should be more connected. It’s really the same cause of protecting public lands. If a company is blatantly anti-hunting, then I would not support them. Is there a reason that regular outdoor companies should be overlooked by hunters for hunting companies?

IDTravis

FNG
I agree the two should be more connected and I feel the gap is closing between the two groups. I use gear from both. Oftentimes recreational companies drive gear and textile innovations that will then be seen in offerings from hunting companies in the following years. I just wish hunting companies offered solid colors in all their gear so I could wear it more for everyday work.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
If you care about how your dollar is used down stream, look at the foundations they contribute to and support.. I'm willing to lay odds, that most on here would be very suprised at what the found, if they went looking...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I certainly don’t ask anyone to do anything with their money that I do. I am fortunate to be in a position where I can be picky and not have to worry terribly much about my price points, though I do try to buy things on sales and watch items for a while for best prices.
Having said all that, I have a personal issue with supporting companies that are blatantly anti hunting or anti 2A or go against my personal belief system.
I know not everyone has that luxury, and I understand some folks buying good gear/clothes for the price, as there is a lot of good gear out there at better prices than most hunting centric companies. But I choose to support those companies that support what I like to do. Simply put, if I don’t spend money with these companies (and many more folks too) they may go out of business and then we will be left supporting anti-hunting companies with our purchases.
As it stands, I like to have choices.