Hunting pronghorn with a 12g slug?

groc426

FNG
I've been contemplating putting in for an antelope tag in Idaho. Unfortunately, the chances of drawing for a rifle tag are pretty low in most areas. There is one area for short-range weapons only that has pretty good odds of drawing. While I would love to expand my opportunities with archery, I just can't afford it. I do happen to own a 12 gauge shotgun though.

Has anyone hunted antelope with a 12 guage slug? Would it be possible to (ethically) hunt with only a bead sight?

I'm deliberating between this particular hunt or a doe/fawn only tag.

If you can put a rifled barrel and a scope on your shotgun, you would have a very effective weapon to hunt antelope with. I did that with my Remington 870 for a short range weapons mule deer hunt here in Oregon. There are some excellent slug loads with premium bullets available.

ckleeves

WKR
Buy some slugs and find out. Some shotguns are pretty accurate with rifled style slugs thru a smooth barrel. When I was a kid I had a mossberg 500 that was very accurate with slugs. I'm not saying your gonna have a 200 yard super slug gun but if your gun is reasonably accurate I don't see a problem within 60 or so yards.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
I have a smooth bore barrel and I don't believe they offer a rifled barrel for my gun, so I'll have to use a rifled slug. I'll have to see if I can find some slugs and try it out this weekend. A bead site should be good out to 60 yards though, yeah?

Kevin W

FNG
Here in Iowa, countless numbers of small does and young of the year fawns are taken with smooth bore just a front bead 12 gauge typically ment for pheasants. Just be sure to put your shot through the lungs, any shot through the shoulders or hams may ruin most of the meat. Another thing to be careful of is the type of slugs you shoot. If your shotgun has a fixed full choke be sure to ask the sporting goods shop the diameter of the slugs you are considering and pick one smaller than your bore. Shooting a few slugs that are larger diameter than your full choke will quickly turn your full choke into something a "bit" more open. Buying a slug barrel with sights is by far the best option, hitting a pie plate at 100 yards with open sights is common here with the slug guns. If you can add a scope 200 yards is a definite possibility with the right slug combination.

I have killed my fair share of whitetails with a 12 gauge slug gun... Out to 150 yards on a few. Never had an issue and most whitetails are bigger than a Pronghorn.

For what you would pay for a rifled slug barrel you could find a H&R ultra slugger used or if you have one of H&R rifles just buy a barrel for it. Make sure it is the ultra slugger. If it were me I would get a 20ga. I have taken whitetails here in Indiana at 200 plus yards with mine.

hunthard

FNG
I moved to MT three years ago from Indiana, there are no rifle seasons in Indiana the whole state is slug gun/muzzle loader/archery. I have killed a dumptruck full of whitetails with a 12 gauge slug gun. started as a kid with a H&R smooth bore bead site. When I was old enough to work I bought a H&R slug gun with rifled barrel and scope & killed another dump truck load of whitetails. I killed a few whitetails out to 100 yards with the smooth bore and bead site. I always used berreneke rifled slugs in my smooth bore.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
Well, went out today and tested it out. It works fine and has plenty of 'umph. Only problem is I can't hit crap with the beaded site :)

crumy

WKR
If you don't want to put a "traditional" crosshair shotgun scope on, a reddot works pretty good.

weaver

WKR
I could be wrong but i doubt either red dots or scopes are legal during short range seasons in idaho.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
weaver - I have not heard or read this restriction in Idaho for short-range.

Are you thinking of muzzleloader? I know they only allow open or peep sights.

weaver

WKR
weaver - I have not heard or read this restriction in Idaho for short-range.

Are you thinking of muzzleloader? I know they only allow open or peep sights.

I just checked and it doesnt mention any restrictions on shotguns besides ammo. Surprised me since archery and muzzleloaders are so heavily restricted.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
Thanks everyone! I'm going to have to see if I can find a cheap scope or reddot to put on top of the shotgun. I wouldn't feel even remotely comfortable shooting at an anmial with just the bead sight, at this point.

weaver

WKR
A shotgun will put a pounding on a scope. Make sure you buy a scope that can handle it.