Hunting Public Land Oahu, Hawaii

McCoppin

FNG
I’ve been in Hawaii for a year and a half now and have been hunting a few times up in Makua Kea’au.

Does anyone have any experience hunting Unit C in Waianae Kai or any idea of different trails to take writhing Makua Kea’au?

Thank you
8d279359e992a5147b9ae633b0067cf0.jpg

8b88f901cb33de388263b46d09a34323.jpg

FLAK

WKR
I never could find a place to park the Jeep,
much less an access trail.
I did find one unmarked place by sheer persistence.
The one out by the Convent, and the gate was locked
due to "aerial culling operations".
Never did get to hunt.
Good Luck.

JLMUELZ

FNG
Did you ever make it to Unit C? I hunt Makua Kea’au as much as I can and have thought about Unit C but haven't made it over. You still in Hawaii?

Been a long time since I hunted Oahu, used to be pretty good pig hunting on the other side of the range from there. Used to hike into the clouds, tons of pigs eating guavas. Plenty down low too. I'm sure things have changed.

RWhitley

FNG
Actually in talks of relocating for my company to Oahu, one of my biggest draw backs in giving up white tails. Finding a replacement for that void would be a huge step.

JLMUELZ

FNG
Where would you be coming from? If I had a choice I would stay on the mainland. Hawaii is awesome but the hunting opportunities are not super abundant. But if you have some money to burn you can hunt Axis deer allot.

JLMUELZ

FNG
Axis deer, wild goats, some sort of mouflon or something.
Axis deer are on Maui, Molokai, and Lanai. Goats and pigs are on all the Islands except for Lanai. Ferrell sheep are on Big Island. Mouflon are on Lanai and Big Island. There are also Blacktail on Kauai. There are also several game birds throughout the island chain and Turkeys with a spring season on big Island.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Axis deer are on Maui, Molokai, and Lanai. Goats and pigs are on all the Islands except for Lanai. Ferrell sheep are on Big Island. Mouflon are on Lanai and Big Island. There are also Blacktail on Kauai. There are also several game birds throughout the island chain and Turkeys with a spring season on big Island.
I was thinking of calling around and seeing if any of the outfitters would do a goat/blue marlin combo. My wife wants to make a Hawaii trip but it would be neat to tag a few species while there if possible.

JLMUELZ

FNG
I was thinking of calling around and seeing if any of the outfitters would do a goat/blue marlin combo. My wife wants to make a Hawaii trip but it would be neat to tag a few species while there if possible.
What Island you looking at? I am pretty sure Nahele Outfitters offers fishing. They also offer hunts for pretty much every species on Big Island.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What Island you looking at? I am pretty sure Nahele Outfitters offers fishing. They also offer hunts for pretty much every species on Big Island.
Me and the wife are pretty flexible on it, she wants beaches, and relaxing I don't mind that but I would like to do something cool as well if I'm going to fly down there.

kpk

WKR
Me and the wife are pretty flexible on it, she wants beaches, and relaxing I don't mind that but I would like to do something cool as well if I'm going to fly down there.

Something cool? I took my oldest daughter on a helicopter tour out of Maui. Went over west Maui and Molokai for about an hour and 15 minutes. If I remember correctly it was around $700 for the two of us through Blue Hawaiian - but was definitely cool.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I sent nahele outfitters an email earlier, they said they could work out a goat/blue marlin package.

Eric11Z

FNG
Did you ever make it to Unit C? I hunt Makua Kea’au as much as I can and have thought about Unit C but haven't made it over. You still in Hawaii?
New to Oahu and looking at chasing some goats up in the mountains. I've heard from others that you're a SME of sorts when it comes to chasing goats on Oahu. Curious on where you got starting on finding locations to access public hunting land. I've been looking through regs and doing map recon, but am having a difficult time just locating access points. Thanks

I’d forget about the goats and focus on pigs. The other islands are better for goats by a long shot. Once you find a place keep it low key. I had some great areas for pigs back in the day, unreal hunting and never saw a soul!