Hunting sling - any you really like?

Hey guys - looking at buying a new sling for my T3x. Only mentioning this because it’s a lightweight rifle which might influence some recommendations.

I’ve always used a Quake Claw sling, but I’ve started to get more and more annoyed with some things about it.

I started looking at more AR-oriented slings (Magpul/Viking Tactics/Loud Industries). I like using slings as a shooting aid, and I like the idea of having my rifle in front of me when hunting thick timber or in Maine when I hunt back home. But maybe these slings aren’t ideal for hunting - hoping you all have more experience than me.

Any recommendations on a sling you really like? Ideally I could use it as a shooting aid as well as over the shoulder. And if this is just dumb and I should stick with the Quake Claw, let me know that too.

Thanks!

OP
Ice_Man_207
What do you dislike about the Quake claw?
Well I’m being a little nitpicky - but I don’t find it’s a particularly easy sling to use as a shooting stabilizer. Sometimes I wish it was a little longer. I also wish it was easier to adjust the length on the fly.

Honestly it’s not that I don’t like it - I’ll probably continue using it on my shotguns. I’m just wondering if there might be some better/more versatile options, or if some of the “tactical” options would be suitable on a hunting rifle.

sndmn11

WKR

OldGrayJB

WKR
I'm a fan of the Butler Creek Mountain sling for a simple lightweight option, but using it to assist in shooting isn't convenient because the length adjustment is slow and usually requires both hands.
The Blue Force Gear Hunting sling is very similar in size and addresses the problems with the Butler Creek. It quickly adjusts with one hand.
@sndmn11 beat me to it.

GoDawgs48

FNG
Hey guys - looking at buying a new sling for my T3x. Only mentioning this because it’s a lightweight rifle which might influence some recommendations.

I’ve always used a Quake Claw sling, but I’ve started to get more and more annoyed with some things about it.

I started looking at more AR-oriented slings (Magpul/Viking Tactics/Loud Industries). I like using slings as a shooting aid, and I like the idea of having my rifle in front of me when hunting thick timber or in Maine when I hunt back home. But maybe these slings aren’t ideal for hunting - hoping you all have more experience than me.

Any recommendations on a sling you really like? Ideally I could use it as a shooting aid as well as over the shoulder. And if this is just dumb and I should stick with the Quake Claw, let me know that too.

Thanks!
If you’re gonna go down the AR-oriented sling route then Blue Force Gear Vickers slings are the best. Gold standard imo. Haven’t tried it with a hunting rifle but the padded version may work well for that application. If weight is a huge concern, Edgar Sherman Designs slings are pretty nice and weigh next to nothing. I have both brands and no complaints about either.

Sevens

WKR
I have a TAB gear for NRL/PRS that I recently brought along on a hunt as it was the only thing with flush cup attachments.

Aside from the kind of long end piece you would use to tighten it, found I actually really liked it. Loved being able to quickly loosen or tighten the sling to my needs.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Out of curiosity, why do you want a sling and do you think it makes you a more effective killer?

OP
Ice_Man_207
Out of curiosity, why do you want a sling and do you think it makes you a more effective killer?
More effective killer - probably not. But hiking in/out I prefer to have my rifle over my shoulder to have my hands free. I don’t always wear a pack big enough to support the rifle on day hunts.

I also like to just throw it over my shoulder when I’m around a group. Muzzle up in the air, less concerned about it pointing in the wrong direction or being knocked over.

Using it to add stability when shooting off hand or from a seated position is really nice and I do think improves accuracy. That’s kind of where I feel the Claw falls short.

Sadler

WKR
Ferro Concepts and Haley Strategics have AR type slings as well that you might want to check out. The D3 from Haley goes from a two point to a one point so you may like that for the style of hunting you’re talking about.

sndmn11

WKR
More effective killer - probably

Using it to add stability when shooting off hand or from a seated position is really nice and I do think improves accuracy.

All the animals I have shot the last five years have been aided by some sort of sling wrap support. You just have to practice with the rifle in question because some don't like it at all.

Rich M

WKR
I use a plain old nylon webbing sling.

Years ago dad had mom sew a button to the shoulders of his hunting jacket - so the sling wouldn't slip off.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
Vickers sling on two of my rifles, a synthetic Butler Creek on my Tikka.
It's comfortable and tightens on arm nicely for standing shots.