Hunting Vehicle Setups

Long Cut

WKR
I’m looking for ideas from folks that hunt and camp from their vehicles. Camp 2-5 days on Southeastern WMA’s so far. Trying to “build” a setup that I can take out West when the time comes.

I’m seriously torn between a tool box, bed cover or decked system. I do haul my ATV around from time to time, but I don’t want to give up my bed height the Decked system takes away.

2018 Crewmax Tundra for reference.

Any guidance or pointers?

Attachments

• IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    730.4 KB · Views: 108

Dented

WKR
Check out Diamondback. I use one of those, camp out of a tent or in the back of the truck. I actually pulled the rear seat and made a sleeping platform. I've got full use of the bed, secure storage for gear, and I can still pull a boat with a SxS or quad. I can hunt, fish and camp anywhere.

jimh406

WKR
Buy an aluminum topper, offset a cot to one side. Use velcro to attach side curtains. Then, use a Buddy Heater or diesel heater. The other alternative is use a rooftop tent with diesel heater although you should consider a rack to put the rooftop tent over bed height. The plus of the rooftop tent is the bed is open for gear/animal, etc.

Maverick1

WKR
I’m looking for ideas from folks that hunt and camp from their vehicles. Camp 2-5 days on Southeastern WMA’s so far. Trying to “build” a setup that I can take out West when the time comes.

I’m seriously torn between a tool box, bed cover or decked system. I do haul my ATV around from time to time, but I don’t want to give up my bed height the Decked system takes away.

2018 Crewmax Tundra for reference.

Any guidance or pointers?
Kind of depends on how much time you spend hunting vs. hauling the ATV around. I wouldn't do anything for an "out west" trip at this point - there are so many different ways to hunt "out west" in terms of shelter - kind of premature to build something around that at this point if you haven't gone before. Tarp, tent, wall tent, teepee, bivy sack - so many different ways to camp under a shelter out west. And, that is down the road, and typically only for a week at a time. I'd focus my "build" around what you do on a regular basis.

Having said that, I'd go with a topper on the truck bed. Throw a cot in the back, with a sleeping bag. Keeps you warm and dry. Secures your belongings when you are out and about. Buy a small trailer for when you need to take the ATV around.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Kind of depends on how much time you spend hunting vs. hauling the ATV around. I wouldn't do anything for an "out west" trip at this point - there are so many different ways to hunt "out west" in terms of shelter - kind of premature to build something around that at this point if you haven't gone before. Tarp, tent, wall tent, teepee, bivy sack - so many different ways to camp under a shelter out west. And, that is down the road, and typically only for a week at a time. I'd focus my "build" around what you do on a regular basis.

Having said that, I'd go with a topper on the truck bed. Throw a cot in the back, with a sleeping bag. Keeps you warm and dry. Secures your belongings when you are out and about. Buy a small trailer for when you need to take the ATV around.

I considered a Topper, only reservation that route is I do side work out of my truck landscaping a couple days a week. So between brush, mulch, wheel barrows, brick etc can be back there at times. A Topper would limit the truck bed for me.
Down the road, I’ll probably go with a Topper when I quit landscaping. As for now, the truck will be my daily driver, work truck & hunting truck.

Topper guy here. Built a platform for one side that I can easily dismantle. Foam mattress on top, totes and coolers slide underneath. Other half of the bed is open or holds extras like dig crate.

I have posted it in the past, but i have a canopy with this lift system for it called topper ez lift that i still really like. Has electric struts that lift up the canopy and it has an integrated tent thats always attached. Makes for a quick base camp with some extra head room if the weather is mild and it makes the bed much more usable for hauling stuff. I get pallets of various materials loaded into it with forklifts all the time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240218_061008_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240218_061008_Gallery.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20240218_060937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240218_060937_Gallery.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 57

packer58

WKR
I have posted it in the past, but i have a canopy with this lift system for it called topper ez lift that i still really like. Has electric struts that lift up the canopy and it has an integrated tent thats always attached. Makes for a quick base camp with some extra head room if the weather is mild and it makes the bed much more usable for hauling stuff. I get pallets of various materials loaded into it with forklifts all the time
That's an interesting setup, had not seen that before.

packer58

WKR
I considered a Topper, only reservation that route is I do side work out of my truck landscaping a couple days a week. So between brush, mulch, wheel barrows, brick etc can be back there at times. A Topper would limit the truck bed for me.
Down the road, I’ll probably go with a Topper when I quit landscaping. As for now, the truck will be my daily driver, work truck & hunting truck.
Like others have said, you need a small utility type trailer. In your situation it will really come in handy for your side gig and totally free up your pickup. I've had camper shells on every pickup iv'e ever owned and couldn't imagine not having one on my truck, security and weather protection for my gear are the big deals .......

CRJR45

WKR
I tried the topper with a side platform and inflatable mattress idea for out west last year . It worked fine , until I went off road , then the dust became unbearable .

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you get a topper, then you'll need a trailer for the ATV and also hauling brush etc. But if you get the trailer, then you really don't need a topper.......unless you get a trailer that isn't enclosed. I'd get an enclosed trailer and leave truck as is......or get both......or the topper and open trailer.

If you get a topper, then you'll need a trailer for the ATV and also hauling brush etc. But if you get the trailer, then you really don't need a topper.......unless you get a trailer that isn't enclosed. I'd get an enclosed trailer and leave truck as is......or get both......or the topper and open trailer.
Well kinda.
An un used looking truck bed offers higher resell.

Topper keeps things dry and somewhat safe and at least clean or cleaner.

Sure my tundra is an older smaller one. But a 7x14 enclosed kicks its ass. I'm considering selling the trailer because the added comfort isn't really worth the additional gas to me.

I did the out of my truck camping for a while. Carried everything in the bed and second seat. I bought a used cargo trailer to house all my gear and atv. I was doing it every weekend for about three to four months a year and got tired of loading and unloading every four days. I could have slept in the trailer but found bringing a tent was better for me. I was saving up for a toy hauler but ended up with a lease and a cabin.
If I ever went back to camping in different locations I would anti up for a toy hauler. I would want to be able to drive the truck with having to break down camp every time we had to run to town. I looked at trying to be self contained in just a truck and I couldnt get my head around a satisfactory setup. Hopefully you will find a great setup that works for your needs.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For trips where I don't take my big truck with truckbed camper and cargo trailer, I am going with F150 and canopy.

1000002684.jpg

I found used Decked Drawers and a used RSI Smartcap.

packer58

WKR
Well, I think it all comes down to being versatile ..... I have a camper shell, 6.5 X 12 flat deck and a converted 8 X 16 enclosed V nose trailer that pretty much covers all the bases for me.