Hunting with a partner after one of you tagged out?

Good Morning,

Can you still carry a rifle in the backcountry if you have tagged out? There are two of us coming to Colorado and we were wondering what to do once one of us fills our tag.

Nothing really illegal about it, but it will raise suspicion if a game warden stops you, i pack a rifle on my trail rides all summer and fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
Rifles are heavy.

If I don't have a tag I'm leaving my rifle at the truck. If I were worried about predators I'd trade it for a handgun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was wondering what to do with the rifle if we are 4 or 5 miles in the back country.......I don't want to leave it in the tent but don't want to get a ticket if i'm carrying it.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I carry my rifle scouting, hunting, after my tag is filled. I like to keep my pack always the same. I hunt Nevada, Utah and Montana and have never been questioned by warden.

The last time this sort of question came up the thread went on for pages. If I recall correctly in the end it was determined that this is probably legal in the state of Colorado but of course it’s best to check with the state fish and game agency. It also seems that there are other states and provinces where this may not be legal. In the end it primarily comes down to the interpretation of the warden that checks you so it’s best not to get yourself into any situation where it could appear that you are doing something illegal despite your best intentions!

Here is the thread:
Can someone with no tag carry my spare rifle?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ag-carry-my-spare-rifle?.103352/&share_type=t

fatlander

WKR
Intent is really hard to prove without direct (read as illegal and stupid) action on your part.

Walking around with a rifle to hunting without a tag is a far leap. Unless the warden was to catch you, alone, stalking/calling deer while in possession of your rifle, I’d say you’re going to be fine.

Wardens sort through bull shit for a living. Do the right thing, tell the truth if asked, and you’ll be fine.

sndmn11

WKR
Intent is really hard to prove without direct (read as illegal and stupid) action on your part.

Walking around with a rifle to hunting without a tag is a far leap. Unless the warden was to catch you, alone, stalking/calling deer while in possession of your rifle, I’d say you’re going to be fine.

Wardens sort through bull shit for a living. Do the right thing, tell the truth if asked, and you’ll be fine.

Bingo, there isn't even a law in the CRS remotely close to the question that was posed of possessing a firearm (rifle) without a valid hunting license.
Title 33 relates to Wildlife for anyone who wants to read through them all, article 6 covers the most relevant topics. https://advance.lexis.com/container...bb3&prid=a76666a9-c446-4578-8359-d2f550c270ab

sndmn11

WKR
Generally you can hunt coyotes all year long, (just be sure to check the game laws in that particular state) so u should be able to carry it

Page three, License Requirements #8
https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/SmallGameWaterfowl.pdf
"YOU CAN HUNT COYOTES without a small-game or furbearer license during biggame seasons if you have an unfilled big-game license for the same season and unit. You must use the same method of take for coyotes as your big-game license allows. Once the big-game license has been filled, hunters must purchase a small-game or furbearer license to continue hunting coyotes, and if using a rifle, it must be .23 caliber or smaller. If you’re not hunting big game, a smallgame or furbearer license is required to hunt coyotes "

IOW, fill your big game tag and your big game rifle cannot be used to hunt Coyotes.

street

WKR
I called cpw awhile back and asked them explicitly what their gun carrying laws were in the field. I was asking about pistol since where I'm from originally you need concealed carry permit to carry pistol in the field, they said CO is an open carry gun state and you can carry ANY gun in the field, doesn't matter time or whether you have a tag.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I called cpw awhile back and asked them explicitly what their gun carrying laws were in the field. I was asking about pistol since where I'm from originally you need concealed carry permit to carry pistol in the field, they said CO is an open carry gun state and you can carry ANY gun in the field, doesn't matter time or whether you have a tag.

Be aware it is an OPEN carry state (but some cities it’s illegal) not a right to carry state, their is a coattail law here. If you have a pistol it has to be 50% visible regardless of the situation or clothing layers/weather or you are no longer OPEN carrying and are now CONCEALED carrying. You have to have a permit to concealed carry. A pistol under your jacket or in your pack is by law concealed.