Hunting with no stabilizer

4BarN

FNG
Congrats Blockcaver! Well done.

I ditched my stabilizer a few years ago. Bow shoots just as good without it as with it if I do my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I must be the weird one. In CA my shots can be pretty far for the blacktails. So I have a front and back bar. The back bar is attached to an offset so the bow is level all the time. Not too mention I really like the way the bow holds and shoots with it on.

But when elk hunting I take the back bar off. Shots are rarely very far in thick timber and the back bar is a PITA to carry.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’ve gone the opposite way and use 12” or longer bars with a 8” or longer back bar. I use less weight doing this and for me it balances great. I think a short front stabilizer only with >3 oz doesn’t provide much benefit by itself. Some of the bowlife videos finally made my switch and I’m glad I did.
Im doing about the same thing, I run a 12 off the front with 3oz and a 10 off the back with 6. Really helps me shoot and I dont mind it on there. That being said it sure does make my Hoyt Ventum 33 a fuckin heavy bow!

Lowg08

WKR
Do not use one for hunting. If I was a target archer I would consider one
for stabilization.
This is how I am. My competition bow has 27” on the front and 12” off the back. I shoot known 40 at ASA and 50yard class local. It helps at distance. Of course I’m trying for a circle the size of a 50 cent piece

Took my back bar off this year for elk. Have 12" out front total length. Shot fine without the back bar and now I can throw the thing on my shoulders to carry just to change it up. Short stab is only really good for damping, but with all the damping on modern bows, not really needed. Really does no good for stabilization. I've shot without stabs, and in my case the bow does not hold as well and my groups are not as tight. That said, my back bar is now back on and quiver off since I just hang the quiver for deer hunting anyway.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a 15" wickstick micro out front. No back bar but have a few ounces of weight attached to the lower left of riser to balance things out.

I shot a back bar only one hunting season! Only hunted whitetail that fall in the midwest.

Kilboars

WKR
I keep a 10 inch front stabilizer on my on my bow with minimal weights just to keep my sight out of the dirt when I set my bow down. Stabilizers are great for target shooting but not really necessary for Hunting in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished an archery super slam last year (took 50 bow seasons)....every animal taken without a stabilizer. Don't like the extra weight of a stabilizer on back-country hunts so don't ever use one. I just make sure the bow is decently balanced with the positioning of the Tight Spot Quiver and buy bows that balance well. Works for me! Good luck!
What bows do you think balance well without a stabilizer?

I have never used one, I don’t like the extra weigh that it adds.

Here’s my Coues Deer I killed in January without a stabilizer. Proof that one is not needed.CC5326C2-C29A-48F0-BD32-CAB04B7D8735.jpeg

IdahoBeav

WKR
Stabs less than 10" and without significant weight on the end are just bow ornaments/plug screws.

I hunt with a 12" stab, but there is nothing wrong with going without a stab. My bow shoots well either way.

DanimalW

WKR
I have a Bowtech experience and did the once a decade upgrade to a RX7 Ultra this year. Both have balanced well for me. I’ve been shooting a 10” front bar with 3 oz on both. I felt comfortable shooting both without any stabilizer, and probably see little (some) improvement in accuracy out to 60. For me though, it slows down my pins substantially, and there’s far less desire to punch the trigger. That alone makes it worth it for me, even if it’s somewhat of a placebo effect. Few ounces make no difference to me, but I use a montana bow sling elk hunting (love it), and I think a side bar would make me love it a lot less. I think stabilizers are kind of like nicotine. If you never had it, you would never know you wanted it.

I use a 8" bar b stinger with a little weight and have tried several times to quit using it. I'm fine under 30 yards without it. But once I get to 40ish or if there's some wind, I just can't shoot as accurate without it. It could be something to do with my midget draw (26") and the way my bow handles (Mathews Triax) . I don't know. But I have shot my bow enough with/without the stabilizer to know it helps me in those circumstances above. I wish I was just as accurate without it!

A Prime Rival works well for me....2016 variety....accounted for a few Black bears (6?), a Polar bear, Stone and Dall rams, 3 Coues bucks, Mountain and Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou, Musk Ox, Tule elk and last week a Canada Moose. Anyway the freezer is full and I'll likely shoot the bow until I can't draw it or it breaks. If it breaks I have a matching spare so likely covered for the next decade.

I have a Bowtech experience and did the once a decade upgrade to a RX7 Ultra this year. Both have balanced well for me. I’ve been shooting a 10” front bar with 3 oz on both. I felt comfortable shooting both without any stabilizer, and probably see little (some) improvement in accuracy out to 60. For me though, it slows down my pins substantially, and there’s far less desire to punch the trigger. That alone makes it worth it for me, even if it’s somewhat of a placebo effect. Few ounces make no difference to me, but I use a montana bow sling elk hunting (love it), and I think a side bar would make me love it a lot less. I think stabilizers are kind of like nicotine. If you never had it, you would never know you wanted it.
Ya I definitely think I could shoot just fine without, just depended how heavy all your side accessories are. I shoot a Tommy Hogg, hamskea trinity and 5 arrow tight spot and with all that on if I don’t balance the side weight it feels like crap to even draw. I think the prime center grip bows balance incredible from top to bottom but I don’t see how to get around the side weight unless you use very light minimalist sight and rest with no quiver

I don't hunt with a rear stabilizer but I keep the front on.

Like someone else mentioned, it's nice to use as an arm brace when my bow isn't slung over my shoulder.

wtrbrdm

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Great thread for opinions.

Just getting into bow hunting and bought a Mathews V3X yesterday. I'm running it with the integrated sight bar and rest, along with the low pro quiver. Tech said I may not need the stabilizer and to shoot it without first. Feels really balanced to me, but then again, what do I know. A buddy gave me a Limbsaver front he doesn't use....so I'll try with both. Enjoyed everyone's input though

And just because I'm stoked about it :) . Stab is on just for the pic.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 5.39.05 PM.png

N2TRKYS

WKR
Great thread for opinions.

Just getting into bow hunting and bought a Mathews V3X yesterday. I'm running it with the integrated sight bar and rest, along with the low pro quiver. Tech said I may not need the stabilizer and to shoot it without first. Feels really balanced to me, but then again, what do I know. A buddy gave me a Limbsaver front he doesn't use....so I'll try with both. Enjoyed everyone's input though

And just because I'm stoked about it :) . Stab is on just for the pic.

View attachment 461835
Congrats on your new bow. You should like it alot.