I am sure this has been asked a ton. What is your arrow weight

Before rangefinders I was much better at range estimation and killed plenty of deer without ever ranging them, that’s why I’m with many others here…find the arrow weight that gets you around 280fps And is 400gr or more. Above 280 and they are hard to tune and sensitive to form issues. Since I only bow hunt, my form is rarely perfect in a hunting scenario. I like flat and forgiving.

CRBTBB711

FNG
I use victory RIP that have the scheels brand on them. 27” 70 lbs draw weight. 300 spine. Total weight 440g

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I’m moving away from +550gr TAW specifically to give myself some built in yardage error forgiveness. Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to shoot as often as I’d like.

A 565gr arrow at 263fps has almost identical KE (high 80’s) to a 500gr arrow at 285fps, but has much smaller pin gaps. That’s a win to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKJ

FNG
440gr axis with a fixed blade at 60lbs and 28”. Caribou, brown bear, black bear, and a few moose. Don’t overthink it.

Sammymusi

WKR
70 lb v3 27 28.5 in draw . 100 grain slick trick magnum total weight 405 grain arrow shooting 311 fps , killed my first elk last year with it 18 yrds he was slightly quartered to me. Arrow went in but didn’t come out the other side. I think for next year when I get back I’m going to build a little heavier arrow 450 or so. Not sure if it was just the angle and didn’t penetrate through the ribs or what but he expired within 60 yrds.

Holocene

WKR
Usually 460-420 grain arrow going in the 280 - 305 fps range. Typically, I'm biased toward speed.

31.5" draw pulling 65-70#.

I still don't understand the old school wisdom that broadhead tipped arrows start to fly worse at anything above 280 fps. It would be really interested to actually see data on how broadhead accuracy deteriorates in relation to FPS. Fixed or mechanical. What is the physics of this "conventional wisdom"?

Geewhiz

WKR
Im currently shooting a 405 grain arrow at about 280 fps but have only gotten a pass through on 1 out of the last 8 bulls. I am experimenting with a HEAVY arrow currently in an effort to get better penetration, better blood trails, and quicker kills. Interested to see the results.

Everyone makes a huge deal out of FOC, but I try to have a good compromise of somewhat heavy but still good trajectory. I'm shooting a 540 grain arrow at 288 fps, 30" draw 83# or so on a Hoyt carbon Spyder. I think my FOC is around 11% when I checked but I can't remember exactly. I really like black eagle arrows. I'm currently shooting the rampage, but I've shot the renegade and carnivore with good luck as well. I had a setup with a 480 grain carnivore but it didn't fly as well as the heavier arrow and it was noisier.

65lbs at 29.5 with 405 arrows. Have 7 out of 8 pass throughs with this setup. One of which dropped instantly and died where he stood.

TheHammer

WKR
This for sure has been asked a lot and in every thread I read, I have yet to find anyone saying their arrow was too light. I’ve struggled with this because I love the idea of high FOC, but I’m a 27” draw length and pin gaps go to shit very quickly when I increase the weight. I’ve landed around 450 grains but honestly want to go lighter. As everyone says in the Broadhead debate - a better placed shot is more important than the specific blade. To me, having a smaller miss at distance because of a faster arrow is invaluable.

So - does anyone here have an arrow build they used that was definitively too light?
I did 10years ago when I thought speed killed. My arrows were barely 340gr, shooting 84lbs 29.5” draw. They were pretty flat but once the distance went past 40 the flight inconsistent. Over the years we all learn a few things based on experiences and adopt ideas. Now my arrows are 614gr and I have a setup I don’t plan to deviate from for the foreseeable future. Confidence in equipment and confidence in yourself also plays a huge factor when in field. Make a setup that works for you.

JK47

FNG
440 grain arrow at 299 fps with my old bow. 70 lbs with 29” draw. I recently bought a new bow and am working on a new arrow build. Last iteration was 465 grains at 286 fps. Haven’t nailed anything down so it’s subject to change.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
29 inch draw 81 pounds 550 arrow going 285 fps out of a Mathews V3X 29 and a VXR 28 those are what I hunt with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk