I bought the wrong WM bag

406sparky

FNG
Hey fellas,
This winter I purchased a WM Badger thinking I was getting my bag for the next 10 years. I went on a little fishing/ camping trip when it was about 10- 15* to test out the bag, and came back a little disappointed. I clearly didn't dive deep enough into my research because I definitely got a little chilly and didn't sleep much. The reason is sizing. The bag is huge. Im 5'8" medium build 165# and I just had way too much room around me for the cold nights. I took it out last weekend in about 30* and it handled that a good bit better but still not totally ideal. My question is, does anyone know which WM bag fits a smaller guy without all the extra room? On the WM website it shows the Apache is a slimmer fit but has anyone had a personal experience similar? Im just hoping to get a couple opinions before I drop another $600+ on a bag.

OP
406sparky

406sparky

FNG
I use the Nemo Tensor. 4.2r. Was sleeping in the back of my truck when it was cold and on the ground at about 30 degrees.

wildcat33

WKR
Any bag at its temp rating or slightly below is going to be marginal, although WM is top of the pile in terms of honest temp ratings. Also depends how you sleep (cold vs hot). If you plan on 10 degree temps a 15 bag will not make you happy. More likely 0 is better choice.

Also the space is a huge factor, that’s why bags went from rectangles to tight mummies; to minimize the space you need to heat. You want the smallest bag that will fit you comfortably.

Next is pad; an R value around 4 is not a winter pad. Check out the exped downmat or similar with a rating of almost 8. Truck bed can also be cold because you have cold air continuously circulating below you.

So get a zero degree WM bag (antelope?) in the smallest size that will fit you and a winter pad.

Look at Feathered Friends. Same quality, have some slimmer options and also women’s bags that might fit you better. A women’s medium is meant for 5’9” person.

S.Clancy

WKR
Sizing is the most important thing for sleeping bags, that any really cross referencing the specs for fill amounts. I would look at "short" or women's bags at your height and weight. For reference, I am 6'1" ~187-190lbs and use a regular bag (supposed to max 6', but I could be an inch taller and still be fine). My bag specs are 60" shoulder, 56" hip and 38" footbox. I could honestly go a little tighter with the sizing, but I have taken my 15F bag to -10F with some layering inside. For a guy your size I would look at something like the Feathered Friends Petrel or the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15F Short

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer. Out of curiosity, are we talking about the GWS Badger (down) or microfiber Badger?

Adding more ground insulation makes an enormous difference no matter what rating your bag has. Also, next trip, you could always try adding extra clothes, whatever inside your bag, just to take up that excess volume and see if that makes a difference for you. Maybe not a long-term solution but would give you some data for the next purchase

sacklunch

WKR
You got cold because that pad is not adequate for those temps. Also a contributing factor, assiming maybe you didn't use the open baffles to slide the down away from the bottom side of the bag? Laying on and crushing the down does nothing, move it to the sides/top within the baffles, that's why its designed that way. Also, gotta use the draft collar.

Ive had a handful of single digit nights, two down to zero, in my badger with a r9 pad, the bag does great, but just like any piece of gear, it must be used correctly. I'm bigger than yog. But not by much, I think other factors involved as mentioned above besides the bag being too roomy.

WoodBow

WKR
I have an apache that I would trade for your badger. It is like new. Only problem is I think it might be a long. I can check when I get home.

OP
406sparky

406sparky

FNG
I have the mf badger. I have never tried a real warm pad that might be a good thing to try out. I actually got ahold of the supplier I bought from and am able to get an exchange for the wm Apache. It’s 6” slimmer at the shoulders and I’m hoping that will help. Next thing I’ll purchase is a warm pad.

ljalberta

WKR
It’s worth looking into the EN testing procedures and understanding how they determine each rating. Once you understand that, you can find out how you properly can reference that standard when deterring what bags are right for you.

For most people, even with a very warm pad, they will be cold at a true 10*F in the Badger and the Apache. Warm sleepers Will be the exception here and not the rule.

But there are lots of factors that are at play, including pad, layers, down distribution, nutrition before bed, proper hydration, and ultimately your body itself.

t_carlson

WKR
Sizing is the most important thing for sleeping bags

That is a little secret most don't know and I didn't find out until recently. Looking at the WM specs, I noticed that the Alpinlite and Versalite are rated 10* difference despite being only 1oz different in weight/fill weight. I emailed WM thinking it must be a typo, but no. The Alpinlite loses 10* of warmth because it has larger dimensions.

sacklunch

WKR
The Exped downmat 9 cannot be beat for its warmth/weight. I'd bet if you pair that with the badger you'd be perfectly fine. I'd rather have a bag I can breath in than a bag that's too tight and I risk compressing down.

And if the single/teen temps are the exception and not the norm...eat a good meal and boil a Nalgene of hot water to stuff down by your feet...it'll keep you toasty warm all night. You can also add a silk bag liner if you want, for about $50. Nice to keep your nasty dirt/sweat off a bag during a week of hunting without a shower.

ljalberta

WKR
That is a little secret most don't know and I didn't find out until recently. Looking at the WM specs, I noticed that the Alpinlite and Versalite are rated 10* difference despite being only 1oz different in weight/fill weight. I emailed WM thinking it must be a typo, but no. The Alpinlite loses 10* of warmth because it has larger dimensions.
Well that’s also because the bag design is different and has taller baffle height.

Reactions: 9.1
Initially I looked at the Apache. It checked all the boxes minus one: being cooped up in it for days due to bad weather. That led me to the Antelope and it's been awesome. So good that I grabbed the MegaLite for warmer weather.

But you do need to pair with a quality pad (ex: XTherm).

duchntr

WKR
Id look at Feathered Friends. But first measure yourself so you get the right size bag, maybe WM offers a comparable bag that will fit you.

That's a bummer for sure, I hope you can find the right bag to suit your needs. IMO, try upgrading your sleeping pad first as that will be much cheaper than a new bag. FWIW, I originally did the same thing and bought a warmer temp bag thinking it would be alright. After the first trip, I quickly went back and bought a 0 degree bag. on warmer nights, I use it as a quilt and can vent as needed to reduce heat. On colder days, I use it as intended as a sleeping bag.

*zap*

WKR
I use the Nemo Tensor. 4.2r. Was sleeping in the back of my truck when it was cold and on the ground at about 30 degrees.
Maybe add a ridgerest closed cell foam underneath and a woobie or light down quilt inside and see if that helps...you could also just fold the bottom of the bag under you (the length you do not use) and try that. I am not sure if you can shift the down up to the other area first on that bag or not? If you can shift the down up that would be ideal...and you probably can find a way to make the fold under semi-permanent.