I got to quit smoking

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on trying to quit smoking. It is a huge step towards improving your health and ability to hike around the mountains. Smoking is a risk factor for nearly all medical problems. I would recommend you make a visit to your primary care practitioner. He or she can prescribe some medication that will significantly improve your success. There are two major options. The first option is nicotine replacement therapy which consists of lozenges, gum, or a patch. The other option is a pill you take to reduce cravings, either Chantix or Zyban. Chantix has been shown to be more effective than Zyban. In addition to medications, your doctor can also set you up with a tobacco cessation program. I know a lot of guys have already recommended this stuff, but just wanted to give you an overview of treatment options from a medical standpoint.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Smartest thing you can do. I used to joke about how easy it is to quit. I know cause I did it about 100 times! Seriously, what worked for me was counting days since the last cigarette I smoked. When you're at 2, that's not motivating, but about 10 you really don't want to start over. Once you're at 30, why would you ever want one of those nasty things again? I had nightmares in which I had smoked, and woke greatly relieved to realize it was just a dream. Addiction is persistent, you must be too.
When you crave a smoke, get down and do some pushups. Feel how good it is to breathe clearly?

*zap*

WKR
Smoked from 1970-2012, switched to vaping to keep the nicotine coming in 2012 and dropped vaping this past April so finally free of the nicotine demon.

You will probably eat more so plan on some weight control cardio and maybe diet changes, good luck brother.

I quit cigarettes with Copenhagen. Then quit copehagen with gum. Still chew a shit load of gum. The craving never goes away you just learn to say no. I quit for a few years then started cope again at work. As soon as the season ended I quit again.

I found one of the hardest things about Copenhagen over cigarettes was that I did it with everything. Working on cars, hunting..ECT. Plus could do it indoors.

Ultimately it's your choice to stop. With medication, or anything. You still have to choose to quit. I know people who tried chantex, but they still went back to smoking.

Just know you can quit. And this thread is a solid support system to read through anytime you get a craving. Buy a big pack of gum. Chew gum when you get cravings.
Coffee can help take the withdrawal edge off as well.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I started chewing to quit smoking. Now I’m trying to quit chewing. Zyn nicotine pouches really help me

rbnhood

FNG
I smoked for almost 10 years. "quitting" on and off for half the time, like most people. When I found out I was going to be a father I promised myself that I would quit smoking the day she was born. I let everyone know so they didn't let me bum them off them. The day after she was born I was at work and took a cigarette from a co-worker, 2 drags in my brother saw me and called me on it and my promise to myself and my new daughter. Haven't touched a smoke since and has been almost 3 years.

You've probably heard it a million times, but YOU have to want to quit and you need a strong "why".

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your long term goal in your mind, especially when the cravings are kicking.
If you have a cigarette, don't spend tons of time kicking yourself, just restart "quitting" and move on.
Be ready for other things to take the addiction's place: eating, chewing gum, etc.
There is a good chance there could be some weight gain, so maybe take up hiking more or working out to counter it in a healthy way.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Good news is that when you quit you will feel so energized. Use that feeling and rotate straight into working out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the Chantex, yeh some funky dreams, but I smoked for 20 years and swear it worked. But I don’t care what you use or try. You have to be ready to quit. Otherwise your wasting your money.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I started chewing to quit smoking. Now I’m trying to quit chewing. Zyn nicotine pouches really help me
I did the same and have quit all of it. IMO, chewing was 10x harder to quit than smoking and I used Nicadurm gum to quit chewing.
It all sucks the life out of ya, so quit today!

nickstone

WKR
I smoked a 1-2 packs a day for probably 15 years. I quit about 12 years ago. I tried alot of different things before I was able to stay quit, but reading this book is what worked best for me. You can a used copy of the book for less than a pack of smokes on amazon.

It changed how I looked at the overall situation of quitting.

Good luck

Seeknelk

WKR
I smoked a 1-2 packs a day for probably 15 years. I quit about 12 years ago. I tried alot of different things before I was able to stay quit, but reading this book is what worked best for me. You can a used copy of the book for less than a pack of smokes on amazon.

It changed how I looked at the overall situation of quitting.

Good luck

+1!
I was looking for this post! This book makes it easy! It really does. I quit Copenhagen, etc after years of a can every day or two. It was part of my life. Like , going camping, need dip. Going hunting. Need dip! Stressed at work. Need dip. Relaxing at the river? Need dip. Pretty soon you realize , everything is an excuse for the stuff.
Ask yourself, what happens that is so sweet when you finally have that drag or chew? Get an awesome high? Feel a major rush? No. Just fills a hole that the stuff creates. Nicotine acts fast but is actually very weak.
Really , what are the physical , mental issues of actual withdrawal?
They are almost non existent. A lil hungry feeling? A little tired maybe? Occasionally grouchy? Really? Thats all? Coming off hard drugs can kill people...now that's withdrawals😮.
Oh , I say dip, but smoking is same thing really , just rougher on the lungs it seems.
Anyway, that book works wonders if you let it. If you go into it trying to prove it can't make me quit, it won't.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Counting days then weeks then years. Like someone else said after about 10 days it became easier to say no than to light up. My biggest hurdle was that I never tried hard enough. Going from smoking to chewing nicotine gum helped a lot. After a year or so I knew that I was still addicted to nicotine but zero desire to smoke again. I finally got off the gum to regular gum.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
I quit Copenhagen several years ago cold turkey. I went from a 1-1.5 can a day habit for 10+ years to nothing for the last 7 years. If your mind isn't made up, you won't stay quit for long. Make sure it is something you want, and you will do anything to quit. Once you are 30-90 days in, your job become not starting again. No "just this last one" or "I deserve this one as a reward". It will be hard, but doable. I still have dreams where I've started again and I wake up disappointed in myself, but they don't happen as often as they used to.

I have those dreams....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I quit the most recent time cold turkey 277 days ago. I was on and off until wasn't. Tried quitting several times over the past 4 years with varying degrees of success.

I do miss a dart with my coffee in the morning. Something to replace those cravings with like a meditation practice or committing to some kind of regimented training practice (running - weights - whatever) can help.

Even if you fall back and have one or a few after quitting don't get discouraged keep at it. It'll click somewhere between the 1st and last try. Good luck.

jjchad

WKR
I used "Kill the Can" forum / group. Went one day at time. 6 years clean from a 20 yr addiction to chew. It was difficult but the best decision I've made. It took over a year to overcome the cravings. I do not even think about it now... even hunting and fishing.

cjdewese

WKR
Get a photo of your child and keep it with you. Anytime you feel like you need a cigarette just look at the photo and think of whats more important. Your kids are everything and from a guy that lost his mom at 20 after she smoked for ever, it's not fun! Your kids need you, quit when you can, while you can. It's not easy but anything that is worth it in life, never is.