I have never seen anything like it

EvanG17

FNG
I put a few rounds through my rifle the other day (Tikka 300 win mag). And it did great. Shot out to 600 yards (Live in the Midwest and about as far safely as I could shoot at this location)...Then I had a buddy come out to sight in a 450 bushmaster. He began shooting and it wasn't even on paper, even though the gun was "boresighted". So we finally get the gun on paper after 11 rounds. He gets it sighted in. 2 shots in the center. Then we move the target out another 50 yards, and groups are 10 in, if not more. WTH is going on here? Junk gun? Junk scope? Only got worse as the day went on. We went through 3 boxes of ammo and it was all over the place with all sorts of companies

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
It was a cheap vortex optic(not bashing)... and thats what I told him. I think its too much for that scope to handle

It was a cheap vortex optic(not bashing)... and thats what I told him. I think its too much for that scope to handle

You are likely not to get any disagreement here that a Vortex is going to struggle.

Tho if it is moving that much, I'd expect the reticle to be sideways after 60 shots.

Likely something in the mount/rings is loose.

Also likely the scope will still leave you chasing your tail later.

I would start with a quality scope mounting system. Doesn't have to be the most expensive just a solid setup. Be sure the screws are torqued to spec or at least tight. If possible try a known good scope. By good I mean one that has a track record of holding zero.

Is his rifle new or used. Either way clean the barrel and make sure all his action screws are at the correct torque.

You need to start eliminating components to get him zero’d.

Rich M

WKR
10-inch group. 450 has some recoil - ever consider it being operator error? I hunt with a guy who can't shoot his 3006 more than 2-3 times before he's off the paper - he kills deer, just doesn't like shooting his gun.

I usually shoot my rifle at 25 yds, then 50, then 100. Typically use a 3x3 or 4x4 sheet of cardboard too. Seen too many guys messing around at the range like that. 2 shots, move em, 2 shots move em. It is easier to move a group than a single shot you may have pulled.

holder171

FNG
Pretty sure I just read a post on here yesterday about mingling social classes and it took about 4 posts for dudes to come on here and start telling you vortex scopes won’t work lol. Better go out and buy yourself one of those $2500 scopes. I realize the 450 has some recoil and a $25 scope from Walmart won’t work but a mid vortex scope and up should handle the recoil of that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH_Tony

FNG
I'd bet his scope is moving. Not mounted/torqued properly. Doesn't take much movement to change POI by a good bit

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
I’d suspect either the scope or the shooter. Did you shoot it or just your friend?
I shot it as well, recoil wasnt an issue for either of us. I believe like others said, it was either the mounts or rings. It was a Vortex crossfire that he was having issues with.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Pretty sure I just read a post on here yesterday about mingling social classes and it took about 4 posts for dudes to come on here and start telling you vortex scopes won’t work lol. Better go out and buy yourself one of those $2500 scopes. I realize the 450 has some recoil and a $25 scope from Walmart won’t work but a mid vortex scope and up should handle the recoil of that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well hello mr votex plant.

Why dont yall build a scope that works better then a cheaper SWFA 3-9...................

Has nothing to do with money as the SWFA is cheaper. I can bolt together a complete gun (scope, gun and rings) for $1600 that will outshoot any gun with any vortex on it. Period.

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR
60 shots... over how long a period? I'm also wondering how much barrel heating added to this? That 450 is a hot round isn't it?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
60 shots... over how long a period? I'm also wondering how much barrel heating added to this? That 450 is a hot round isn't it?

Inconsequential data.
If the rifle isnt a piece of crap then the barrel should shoot fine well past temps to cook bacon and fry eggs at.

Last edited:
OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
This was over a couple of hours. We gave the gun adequate time to cool. Me and my buddy are not new to sighting in guns, have been shooting/hunting all of our lives. Never had anything like this occur

Who built the upper? Are you sure the barrel nut is torqued correctly? Also, how is the fit between the upper and barrel extension? I have had to "bed" a couple of them using loctite to ensure they are tight.

It could also be the optic or mount (as already stated).

z987k

WKR
No the 450BM is loaded way down to what it's potential is to accommodate gas guns.

Samson7x

WKR
I‘d wager scope. Crossfire is a cheap one. I’ve killed a lower end vortex on a 458socom which is roughly equivalent recoil.