I made myself a new skinner for the backcountry.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to remake my original Small Game Hunter knife so I could retire the first knife that I ever made to home use only and keep it from potentially getting lost in the field or stolen from my truck. Since I do a lot of backcountry backpacking hunts, weight was of a concern.

I chose Elmax steel so I could grind it thinner and keep weight down while maintaining durability/impact resistance with a stainless and have good enough edge retention to last me a few animals without the need to resharpen in the field.

I skeletonized the tang and tapered it down to 0.010" for maximal weight reduction and hollow ground the primary grinds to 0.010" as well. It slices like a laser. Then I handled it in carbon fiber to keep weight down, improve the structural strength of that super thin tapered tang, and have a material that is impervious to blood, guts, gun oils, rain, sweat, etc for the field. I chose JungleWear carbon to pick up some greens and earth tones purely for aesthetics over the more common, less costly 2x2 twill carbon fiber. Since JungleWear carbon was slightly undersized for the thickness dimensions that I wanted after such a radically tapered tang, it needed liners. I went with safety orange G10 because it contrasts well with the green and has a strong presence/history in the hunting community. Handle scales terminate at the back of the sharpening notch to provide as much handle as possible without wasting any room/weight with a large ricasso area on the blade; I also like the way it looks in terms of fit/finish. The pins are 3mm copper to pick up on the orange tones in the liners.

For the sheath I did Kryptek orange Kydex on the front to maintain visibility but tone down the LOUD solid orange a bit and a solid orange Kydex on the rear since the black hardware was going to cover most of the back anyway and I still wanted to see enough orange to pick it up easily in low light. I am using a DCL Combat loop for hardware because it's so easy to get on/off, adjust to various belt widths, and can be ran vertically, horizontally, canted, or inverted which will give me lots of options.

This build is LOUD and FLASHY, but should be a truly outstanding little hunting knife for the backcountry.

img_5179-scaled.jpg

img_5181-scaled.jpg

img_5182-scaled.jpg

img_5183-scaled.jpg

img_5184-scaled.jpg

img_5187-scaled.jpg

img_5185-scaled.jpg

img_5186-scaled.jpg

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Great job on the tapered tang! Awesome little knife, that size is about my favorite for field processing game.

Awesome work! Fit and finish look outstanding!
What hrc is that heat treated to? What do you think of elmax for a standard drop point hunting knife?

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
What's the blade length and final weight?
3” blade, 4.0oz without sheath and 5.6oz with just the kydex. With the combat loop too it bumps up to 7.5oz. Sometimes it’ll run just tossed in the bag but sometimes I’ll run it on a pack strap or whitewater vest when in my canoe if I need to boat into an area.

Mt Al

WKR
Very nice work! Once again on Rockslide I'm inspired. Please post pics of it covered in blood this fall, completing the cycle!

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome work! Fit and finish look outstanding!
What hrc is that heat treated to? What do you think of elmax for a standard drop point hunting knife?

Elmax is my preferred steel for a hunting knife. I’ve ran Elmax blades for hunting for the past 7 years almost exclusively and when it comes to performance it has the ideal balance of characteristics that I am looking for in a hunting blade. I make knives in other steels too and buy factory and custom knives of other steels also so I’m not what you’d call a one steel kind of guy or maker but when I’m ready to hunt if Elmax is an option it’s what I’m using.

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice work! Once again on Rockslide I'm inspired. Please post pics of it covered in blood this fall, completing the cycle!
It’ll be chasing game before fall. It’s still squirrel and rabbit season. Spring has turkey and bear. Pigs are legal all year long. Fall is the best time to hunt but there are adventures to be had NOW.

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the compliments guys. I’m enjoying this one already. It’s going to be a stellar field tool.

Nice! Is that chisel ground? Its hard to beat such hollow handles for a minimalist design but I really like a good full size handle in the hand. Your grind lines are clean and really look nice against the hollowed blade.

No, it’s not chisel ground. It’s a full hollow grind. I add a section of jumping to it for the thumb and I’ve jumped a few all the way around. I don’t sell anything - just make them for friends. Thanks buddy!!

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
No, it’s not chisel ground. It’s a full hollow grind. I add a section of jumping to it for the thumb and I’ve jumped a few all the way around. I don’t sell anything - just make them for friends. Thanks buddy!!

Right on. I like it!

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
That is a beautiful knife. I don't think it's flashy. It's classy. What sharpening angle did you use?
I don't know exactly because I freehand but I'd imagine it is somewhere about 35* inclusive. One of the benefits of taking the primary grinds down super thin is it allows for a more obtuse/durable edge sharpening to not create a bunch of drag and friction when cutting so you get laser sharp cutting feel and improved edge durability of a more obtuse sharpening angle.