I need a hitch mount bike carrier. Any recommendations?

I need to get a hitch mounted bike carrier to go on my 4Runner for my new mnt bike I bought this week. I’ve looked on Amazon and there are tons of them to choose from. I ride solo and only have one bike to haul. I’m not looking for a cheap piece of junk, but not the most expensive either. I would like it to be somewhat secure/theft resistant so I can atleast go into a gas station while traveling without the constant fear of someone yogi-bearin’ my new bike. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

9FC63938-3497-478F-9F43-72BEEEC8D538.jpeg

TBHasler

WKR
Any number of models (1,2,4 bike) from Thule or Yakima would work. I have a 4 bike Yakima hitch mounted carrier and it is solid as hell. Not light but once it’s in hitch and bolted/pin, it doesn’t move.
I’d suggest a multi bike carrier in case you end up throwing a buddies/ladies bike on as well. There is not much size difference nor price difference between 2 to 4 bike carriers.
Think I paid about $350 for on sale Yakima

Any number of models (1,2,4 bike) from Thule or Yakima would work. I have a 4 bike Yakima hitch mounted carrier and it is solid as hell. Not light but once it’s in hitch and bolted/pin, it doesn’t move.

Funny. I've had the opposite experience with the four place Yakima. Ours is only a year old, but gets used a couple times a week. The part that goes in to the hitch is bent down from hitting highway heaves, and the bike tie downs are nearly worn out. The lock even froze up this spring so it's permanently attached to the car at the moment. I have been less than impressed.

I do think a 2 place bike rack would have much less leverage on the hitch and hold up better, but we have given this 4 place a beat down.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I have the most basic thule 4 place hitch rack on my 4runner and it's carried up to 4 bikes all over the place for the last 5 years with zero issues.

JohnIrish

FNG
I have a 1up bike rack.... probably nothing built better. It takes about 15 seconds to load a bike. Whatever you get... a platform rack is much nicer than one where the bike hangs. I would also get a 2 bike rack in case you have a friend.

TBHasler

WKR
Funny. I've had the opposite experience with the four place Yakima. Ours is only a year old, but gets used a couple times a week. The part that goes in to the hitch is bent down from hitting highway heaves, and the bike tie downs are nearly worn out. The lock even froze up this spring so it's permanently attached to the car at the moment. I have been less than impressed.

I do think a 2 place bike rack would have much less leverage on the hitch and hold up better, but we have given this 4 place a beat down.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future Results.

I have a 1up bike rack.... probably nothing built better. It takes about 15 seconds to load a bike. Whatever you get... a platform rack is much nicer than one where the bike hangs. I would also get a 2 bike rack in case you have a friend.

Correct. 1UP usa is a beast. All the others have plasticky stuff on it. 1UP is the only rack built for a nuclear holocaust.

Phaseolus

WKR
RockyMounts, built in Grand Junction USA are high quality! I love the Monorail that I have.

Happy yakima user here. I would suggest getting something that will hold 3 or more bikes. Makes it easy to haul for a group ride Someday, even if you ride solo now.

brsnow

WKR
Kuat Sherpa, light so it is easy on/off, 2 bikes if you start to ride with a buddy.

^^^^^^ This.... nothing better than the 1UpUSA rack. I also have the 4 bike Kuat rack. The Kuat is HEAVY and cumbersome to lumber around. The 1UP rack is super light weight and worth the money even though it’s expensive.

OP
Trevor73402
^^^^^^ This.... nothing better than the 1UpUSA rack. I also have the 4 bike Kuat rack. The Kuat is HEAVY and cumbersome to lumber around. The 1UP rack is super light weight and worth the money even though it’s expensive.
Damn....you ain’t joking. Those things are $$$

brsnow

WKR
Only issue with 1up is cosmetic, the black flakes and the silver just looks bad with age, but they do function well.