I need suggestions for hand gun holster for hunting

Jeremy_D

FNG
Im going to carry my Glock 43x this year during bow season. Im in Wisconsin so Ill probably never need it but hey I already own it and its just sitting in the closet anyway and you never know. Im looking for a good fitting holster with a closed off bottom to keep dirt out of the barrel and attaches to molle strapping.I think I want it to soft sided. Id like the gun to be pretty protected. I dont want to worry about it while Im crawling up trees and through the brush. Ive looked on amazon but so many are just a generic fit.

For lack of responses, this one doesn't meet your requirements but Blackhawk serpa. Push button securement/retention and open at the bottom to let debris fall out. I never has a problem picking up dirt ect with an open bottomed holster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
With a glock I have to second the black hawk serpa. In dirt and dust it can be a little hard on the finish but it is a great holster.

The Sherpa has a bad rap in with firearms trainers. It's cheap plastic vs kydex or leather. Yes I've owned one before.
I'd look at Gunfighters Inc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Alaska Sportsman chest holster. I have a 8 3/8" barrel on my taurus 44. I wore a back pack and bino on the chest and carried my rifle. I think it is a good idea to carry the extra gun dude. That way you always have one with you. The alaskan was very comfortable. I put it on first. then Binos, so the sit on the bottom part of the holster. then my back pack. I put the chest strap under the strap on the holster that holds the gun in place. So if I needed. I just popped the holster hold down strap and had access to the pistol. worked good. was comfy with every thing on. I had mine to where it say pretty high on my chest. They are $70 and worth it man. Even with my hip holster and belt I still found it sitting on the boat or at home while hiking. I never took the gun off with the new holster. I love the thing. Mountain View Sports, Great northern guns, and Northern security carry them.

wseidel

WKR
I second the recommendation for a Kenai Chest Holster made by GunfightersINC. Great quality, always with you, easy on/off. Do a search on this forum for specific reviews. Hope this helps...

brsnow

WKR
I have one from FHF it connects to the bino harness, really useful.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I am in same position as you. My research has me leaning towards the Ravco Bino holster for my Glock 20. However, I have yet to pull trigger and still doing my due diligence.

Overt or concealed?

43 in 9mm isn’t much for critter protection. On a bino harness or chest rig is a favorite option. I like Kydex. Some companies like Tyr and Crye make holsters that can go on a chest rig.

I like hip carry. Use a safariland holster on a gadget called a UBL that drops it below the belt line to clear my pack hip belt.

mcseal2

WKR
I am in same position as you. My research has me leaning towards the Ravco Bino holster for my Glock 20. However, I have yet to pull trigger and still doing my due diligence.

I don’t think you will regret it. I like mine.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the solid lock up of a Serpa type holster, but with a better and safer button location, look at the Safariland 7TS ALS. Great holsters for lots of different purposes. Compatible with many kinds of attachment options. Molle, paddle, belt loops, drop leg, etc.

If you don’t need a super solid lock in type retention, kydex is a great way to go.

Closest thing I can think to your description is the Alaska Guide Creations holster. Soft sided, attaches to their bino carriers. Has an open bottom, which is probably actually what you want. Probably better to have the bottom open than closed. Lets water or dirt fall out the bottom.

Last edited:

Big Iron

FNG
I purchased a Alaska guide Velcro hostler for my shield 40. It clips to my bino chest harness and so far works excellent.

OP
J

Jeremy_D

FNG
Overt or concealed?

43 in 9mm isn’t much for critter protection. On a bino harness or chest rig is a favorite option. I like Kydex. Some companies like Tyr and Crye make holsters that can go on a chest rig.

I like hip carry. Use a safariland holster on a gadget called a UBL that drops it below the belt line to clear my pack hip belt.
lol ya 9mm isnt much but like I said its more for piece of mind then anything. I have a 45 but I dont want to drag that boat anchor around.
This may sound weird but when I was kid I worked on a farm. Went up in the barn to shovel down grain and had run in with a coon that I assume ( I was young and the farmer delt with it after I yeld for him) had rabies. Ive had a dislike for varmits/critters like that since.
Any way my new pack has pal straps on it. I can carry that little 9 off to the side and never really think much of it unless I have to.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
You could take a look at Safariland. Pick whatever holster you feel fits your needs as far as retention goes. Then get a QLS system. For myself I don’t want more stuff on my bino harness, I can’t run a shoulder holster cause I hike with a pack and run a bino harness (too many straps) and I can’t stand straps around my legs. I have a mid rise Safariland 578 GLS for my XDm 10mm that I carry on my belt. It’s attached via the QLS plate. I have another plate on my pack hip belt so when I put my pack on I unclip the holster from my belt and move it to my hip belt. My firearm remains in the same place no matter what activity I’m doing which leads to consistent training and consistent application when I need it.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I wear my bino harness right over the top of the holster. Isn't too bulky or uncomfortable

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
Overt or concealed?

What critters survive being shot with a 9mm?