I really messed up last night

Luked

WKR
So I might have messed up last night.
Went to the local shop to check out bows for my wife. Wanted to put my hands on a couple and check them out in person.
Shop is an Elite dealer.
They had the new Elite Ethos on the shelf. I took a look at it and shot it. I was highly impressed big time.
Now I am trying to decide if i want to sell my V3X 33 and get the Ethos.
Really like my V3X but I could hold steady and on target much much easier with the Ethos.
And its a shop demo so wasnt even set up correctly for my draw length and i could still hold steady with more weight than my V3X.
Now Im really in a conundrum trying to figure out if i want to get one. Dont "need" a new bow. But that Ethos is pretty impressive.

Do it man, dont be a pansy!! LOL Its easier to spend other people money than our own.
Im in a different boat than you. My bow is closing in on 20 years old and want some newer technology but man it still kills like its brand new.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

You had me til Mathews..... LOL I used to own a couple Mathews and killed several deer with them. Im shooting a Hoyt nowadays

Ive been out of the know on the new bows for a while now and would have to do some testing like you inadvertently did!!

Last edited:

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to throw you a curve ball.
Perhaps your V3x is not set to your ideal draw length. And that Elite was.
All the bows I've had, I've never had one hold way steadier for me when it was at some other draw length than any bow that was set to my ideal draw length. Yes, there are bows that will simply hold better than others, but I do not see that unless they are set for my ideal draw length.
Holding weight is a huge factor in a steady pin as well, usually a higher holding weight will give a bit steadier pin hold. To a point of course.

Reactions: CMF
OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The Ethos I shot last night was set at I think 28" which is WAY short for me.

TFrank

WKR
You had me til Mathews..... LOL I used to own a couple Mathews and killed several deer with them. I shooting a Hoyt nowadays

Ive been out of the know on the new bows for a while now and would have to do some testing like you inadvertently did!!
Make sure you are keepin em out of the wood

Randle

WKR
You only really messed up if You come home with a new bow , and tell the wifey, "I forgot what I went to the bowshop for, but checkout my new bow"

WKR
It's a temporary emotional reaction to a new shiny object. The bow, almost any bow, is not "better" than another one so long as the two are from the same general era in technology and quality level (not comparing flagship to entry level).

It will pass.

rclouse79

WKR
I had the Elite Energy 35 and currently have the Enkore. I am a big fan of Elite bows!

How many shots did you put through that elite demo bow? Did it have a sight/stabilizer setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Put roughly 10 shots through it.
No sight and stabilizer was just what it came with, which is the little dinky stab

Put roughly 10 shots through it.
No sight and stabilizer was just what it came with, which is the little dinky stab

And by no means am I trying to talk you out of a new bow because I also love new bows haha
But see if you can shoot it next to your Mathews and setup as similar as you can. If the shop is a good shop they shouldn’t balk at this idea and then you can know for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell you yes or no.
I have a couple knives on order that I definitely don't need but I want in my rotation of fixed/folders.
I love my bow and am perfectly happy with it - so I will not pickup another bow. I would make my wife handle them and help her out if I needed too but wouldn't do it to myself because I know what my brain would do.
Good luck - hope you make the best decision for you - and enjoy that new bow. HAHAHA.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Im trying hard to stay away from it and just keep mine but it isnt easy.
Planned to change a few things up on mine this year and it needs a new set of strings so ill probably just keep it for now.
In the past years and years ago I bought a new one every year. Sold the old one from the year before on AT and bought a new one.
Now with the price of shipping its kind of nuts what it costs to ship one. Cant get nothing for them trading them in so ill just keep the old V3X for now.

I'm with others in saying it might be your current bow doesn't fit you.

Many people shoot at least an inch longer than they should. Any measurement is just a starting point. Your hold/float should be what determines your actual DL, not what you can shoot.

Buy it, but keep your old bow. Shoot the new one a month, then decide which to sell.
I haven't understood why people sell a bow before they know a replacement actually shoots better. I'd also be shooting scores with them so I actually know which one I shoot better.

Im trying hard to stay away from it and just keep mine but it isnt easy.
Planned to change a few things up on mine this year and it needs a new set of strings so ill probably just keep it for now.
In the past years and years ago I bought a new one every year. Sold the old one from the year before on AT and bought a new one.
Now with the price of shipping its kind of nuts what it costs to ship one. Cant get nothing for them trading them in so ill just keep the old V3X for now.
I've never done that but I know a lot of guys who used too. Like you many of them have stopped because it is becoming more and more crazy.

Tilzbow

WKR
Your dilemma is why I don’t shoot new model bows or test drive new trucks!

I did visit a new to me pro shop in town a couple of weeks ago and just handling a couple of the newer model bows really made me want to buy one and I nearly did but after a few weeks the urge passed. My advice give it a few weeks before you buy one.