Ice bath your meat?

desertcj

WKR
The last few animals I've taken came home quartered up in contractor bags sitting on ice in a cooler. Kept the last one for three days like that before throwing it in my 35 degree garage fridge for a week after I got home. It all tasted wonderful! Steaks were tender as well...

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's a matter of personal opinion but you certainly leave a great medium for bacterial growth when you do that.
Ah, bacteria grows on the outside of the meat. That's why most restaurants cook steaks to temp, but won't do the same for burgers. Grinding will distribute bacteria all throughout the meat, whereas leaving the muscle whole limits bacteria to the outside. A quick sear kills it off, and wa-la, you have your perfect rare or med rare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I usually bone out my meat and put it in gallon bags in a ice chest or a fridge if I'm at home. Up to a week or more. I hang some waterfowl by the neck guts in and feather on for 3 to 5 days to age. Sometimes I breast out my waterfowl and bag em. Depends on what I have going on and if I'm gonna grind em or cook the breast whole. I also cook all my waterfowl and deer species rare. I haven't killed a bear yet but when I do it will be well done. Antelope is one of my favorite animals to eat and hunt. Hope I draw a Wyoming tag again this year.

Steel4sam

FNG
You should never have to do anything special with antelope. As mentioned above, the gaminess likely comes from not getting the meat cooled down fast enough. Bone the meat out and get it to the cooler waiting in the truck within a few hours and you'll be fine. Antelope is my preferred game meat over elk, whitetail, etc.
Correct! That being said I have done a short ice bath in the field to ensure my quarters get cold before I put them in coolers.

WoodBow

WKR
To all the people, including the buck buck moose guy, who say an ice bath washes all the color out and makes meat grey and nasty. I ice bath all of mine 7-10 days. Here is some deer steak I cooked in the skillet last night.
15g8i9k.jpg

I don't know who said it but Ryan Avery has a quote in his tag line that says " a man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an opinion".

Be the guy with the experience.

Bar

Banned
We all have our way of doing things. Don't ever think your way of doing anything is the only way.

You'll sound like Trump if you do.