Ice fishing.

Sorry couldn’t find a fishing thread so I put it here .

looking to start ice fishing this winter in Pennsylvania.

looking for a lake trout, bass rod and reel.

I am looking at the northland broomstick rod . Says it’s for trophy fish walleye and trout but ibis 28 inches. A lot of the stuff I am reading says a longer rod for the low trout.

also what reel are you guys using?

thanks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just use ugly sticks and cabelas whoopin sticks. I had a few nice ice fishing rods and didn’t feel like they did anything better than the cheap ones. I have seen adds on Facebook from a company called “dangerous game” that makes ice rods, they look ok.

KurtR

WKR
Get cheap ones to start. Then once you learn what you want you can get into better ones. Get an ice castle makes ice fishing way more enjoyable

I too am about to try my fist venture out onto the ice in the next few weeks. Will I look stupid with a regular fishing rod? What size hole is optimal? 6, 7, 8 inches? Do I need to buy a sled? Will my feet get cold? More importantly, what beverage should I take out onto the ice?

Lawnboi

WKR
What do you want to spend? For stuff that big I think I’d stick my money into electronics before I bought a better rod.

Grab a few tip ups while your at it

For the above; FIRST thing you should go buy is some picks and a spud for making sure the ice is safe and providing a means to get out if you end up going through.

Backyard

WKR
Get cheap ones to start. Then once you learn what you want you can get into better ones. Get an ice castle makes ice fishing way more enjoyable
LMAO!
Translation; Buy a $19 rod and a $30,000 fish house.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

MtnMuley

WKR
The nice thing about ice fishing is you don't need to spend much on combo's and tackle. Especially larger fish like you're referring to.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I run like a 38" and 40" JT Custom blackout rods for lake trout. Before that I had a fenwick 34" MH I think. We mostly fish off snow mobiles in Canada for them so the length wasn't bad vs inside the house. I run like a 30-35 size pfuelger on 2 rods and a daiwa similar sized on another.

Lake trout can be pretty frustrating to fish, at least they are when we take our annual trip.

Never targeted bass through the ice, but I wouldn't think it's much different than a heavier walleye rod. 28" range probably, medium action.

Bighorner

WKR
Fish for a while and if you like it, invest in a vexilat or similar. I would rather fish with a broom handle and dental floss than fish without the flasher.

jmez

WKR
Fenwick and pfleuger for jigging rod. Ugly sticks are hard to beat for stationary lines. Reel doesn't much matter on those, I handline everything not on jigging rod. Reel is just a line holder on stationary rods.

Good advice above on vexilar. If targeting lakers you will need one.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Nice!! We don't have any ice yet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if it didn’t freeze at all this year out here boat fishing has been lights out. I don’t mind 50’s in mid December

OP
F
So a 28 would be to short for lake trout.

I’ll look into something longer.

I have a Sedona 1000 laying around. Will that work?

OP
F
What do you want to spend? For stuff that big I think I’d stick my money into electronics before I bought a better rod.

Grab a few tip ups while your at it

For the above; FIRST thing you should go buy is some picks and a spud for making sure the ice is safe and providing a means to get out if you end up going through.
I would spend 50-75 on a rod

50 on a reel

ICEMAN86

FNG
I too am about to try my fist venture out onto the ice in the next few weeks. Will I look stupid with a regular fishing rod? What size hole is optimal? 6, 7, 8 inches? Do I need to buy a sled? Will my feet get cold? More importantly, what beverage should I take out onto the ice?
Bird dog peanut butter whiskey.

cnelk

WKR
I customize my own lake trout rods by modifying a regular fishing rod.

Take a medium action 6 1/2’ rod and bend it over at the tip and handle.

Wherever the rod starts to straighten out is where I cut it at the nearest eyelet.

Good for jigging in deeper water to get a solid hook set.

See pic for example

Good luck

32F9F787-31FA-472D-BBB3-3D13B67B22CB.jpeg