Idaho archery elk hunt

dwt1267

FNG
My hunting partner and I want OTC tags so we will be sure to go elk hunting this year. This will our first time elk hunting in Idaho. We are hard hunters and plan to have 4-5 weeks available to scout/hunt. I am interested units 55-57 in the South Hills zone. We would appreciate any and all advise for these units or any other units.

jmcd22

WKR
Start here: https://idfg.idaho.gov/

They have most of the information you will need. You can also call the local biologist and they should be able to help out a little more than the fish and game. If you have a GoHunt membership or another service like that, it will be your best bet other than boots on the ground. Good luck.

It's a non-resident flood. People still thinking Idaho isn't crowded.

This is a whole can of worms as mentioned. Hopefully people just use PM and leave it at that.

You can have a good hunt in there but prepare to do your homework and burn some boot leather. Lots of open country that makes for an interesting bowhunting challenge.

OP
D

dwt1267

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I completely understand the "can of worms" , don't wish to be part of the problem, however, one must hunt. We will try harder than most. Also looking at the Bannock zone units 70-74. I spoke with folks at the regional offices south hills and bannock and a biologist, they were pretty good and helpful to a point. Lots of footwork to do. We are also curious as to the possibility landowner permission and the availability of hiring to pack out game if necessary?

Morrid7

FNG
If you have 4-5 weeks to scout and hunt and worker harder than most, which is saying a lot in this crowd, then you don’t need anything else :)

Welcome to the forum. Good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: lif

CampCook

FNG
If you are looking at the possibility of a packer I suggest you find the area you want to hunt and get a hold of the guides in the area sooner rather than later. We called the packer in the area we hunt three months before the season and he was already booked. I will say that hunting Idaho has been great and we have not seen another hunter in the woods while hunting. Good luck with your search

Fullfan

WKR
If you have 4-5 weeks to scout and hunt and worker harder than most, which is saying a lot in this crowd, then you don’t need anything else :)

Welcome to the forum. Good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is spot on, several things to remember. Idaho has some nasty country that will wreck you physically and mentally. And if it is national forest you will encounter other hunters. Go have a great time and have a plan B,C,D,E....

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good that you have plenty of time to hunt. You'll need it to avoid the HUSH hat- wearing crowd that has flooded the South Hills zone in the past couple of years. If you have that much time to hunt, why are you concerned about a packer? Neither of those zones are particularly rugged by Idaho standards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk