Idaho Bear Densities

Hey all, I think a discussion of bear densities would be helpful. More bears killed is better overall for deer and elk hunting. I don't think bear hunting leads to hunting places in the fall because it's not very good scouting. If you're willing to contribute mention the elk zone or region of the state you're familiar with and the densities and age class if you want.

My experience:
Boise River/43- decent to high bear density, lower age class in many places
Sawtooth- high bear density, solid age class
Middle Fork/Selway- moderate bear density, higher age class

I have hunted the Salmon Zone some as well but not enough to form an opinion. I'd venture to guess somewhere between the ones I've listed. Weiser is obviously stacked with bears where I've been and my family has hunted but it's a controlled area (for good reason).

The desert areas of southern Idaho don't hold really bears. I know unit 1 has a high bear population.

I'll take this down if people thinks it's a bad idea. There's not as much info out there on bear numbers as there are with other species so I do think there's some value. It's a little unique where not as many nonresidents come to hunt bears and they don't all realize this but scouting isn't very valuable at all in May when the migration is on. Predator management is good.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’m interested in learning more.

What’s the criteria for determining density?

I hunt the Panhandle mostly and have seen a lot of bears places and none in others and some in between.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
North Idaho has good black bear populations (lower in unit 1 because of grizzly) but you end up with "pockets" of black bears. The place I've seen them most consistently on trail cams is an isolated pocket of approx 400 acres of timber/canyon/creek bed area, surrounded by a large highway, wheat fields and a lake.

We see a lot of bear when rafting on the salmon river also, but always in certain areas.

I have a spring bear hunt in a week and a half, on the Salmon river (North Central Idaho). I saw quite a few bear in this area while scouting for elk last year.

OP
I
I don't know that the Salmon has better than average bear numbers but it's a place with bears that's accessible in the spring at least. Great country. The outfitters do pretty well with bears up and down the river.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the pioneer zone last fall and could have shot a bear with a bow each of the first three days and saw sign all over the place.i have no idea if it's like that throughout the whole zone

KurtR

WKR
Spent some time in the mcall zone and seen a few bear and should have shot one last fall rifle hunting. My kid wants to go on a spring bear hunt in 2020 and my brother is going out next weekend so hopefully i can add more info.

hunted the selway/bitteroot area last spring, seen a half dozen over the course 5 days. feel like the density is probably higher however, as we were spot and talk hunting only (in a 85% forested unit) all the baiters were having luck punching tags

dham088

FNG
Any input on the palisades zone? I scouted the island park zone a couple of weekends last year. Saw a sow and cubs. Not an expert by any means. Just trying to learn.

I'm new to this forum and I see this is an old thread, but does anyone have any info on fall bears in the Bannock Range?

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to this forum and I see this is an old thread, but does anyone have any info on fall bears in the Bannock Range?

Black bears exist at extremely low levels within the zone and, therefore, are not an important source of mortality for elk.

Black bears exist at extremely low levels within the zone and, therefore, are not an important source of mortality for elk.
Thanks for the info. I was wanting to hunt NR elk but I waited to long to grab a tag. I was hoping maybe there would be bears there but I will probably go for mule deer instead.

OP
I

Very low numbers. Many people who’ve hunted in the mountains around Poky have never seen a bear there.

I've been out in a part of 10A where I normally don't go and have seen 13 bears in 5 days of calling elk for my buddy. All on PotlatchDeltic ground. Going to shoot one this weekend.