Idaho black bear locations

Hello,
New to the forums and new to Idaho.

I’m in central Idaho Unit 24 in McCall. I’m looking for some ideas where to locate black bear, I scouted around last year in the fall but thought spring maybe be so different the locations I liked are probably too high in altitude. I’m a bow hunter and would love to spot and stock one ideally, but I’m not above bringing a rifle along for the consolation trophy.

I’ve been thinking of doing a 5 day in the Selway, middle fork, or sawtooth zones but thought I could narrow down my area a bit with some internet feedback.
Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Honestly there’s lots of bears in all those areas. Just pick one and hit the mountain looking for the green and you’ll find bears. I’ve found a lot in the sawtooths and know of guys that kill them every year in the other zones. If I were you I’d hunt right outside Mcall if that’s where you live. You shouldnt have any problems finding them in the spring.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hello,

I’m in central Idaho Unit 24 in McCall. I’m looking for some ideas where to locate black bear, I scouted around last year in the fall but thought spring maybe be so different the locations I liked are probably too high in altitude. I’m a bow hunter and would love to spot and stock one ideally, but I’m not above bringing a rifle along for the consolation trophy.

I’ve been thinking of doing a 5 day in the Selway, middle fork, or sawtooth zones but thought I could narrow down my area a bit with some internet feedback.

Sigh...this is the exact wrong way to introduce yourself to this forum for future reference.

Welcome and good luck to you.

Cool I wouldn’t know that though would I?
You’re a member, you can see all the past posts and a little searching before hand would have helped with your questions and also showed you what to say and not to say. Now you’re being argumentative towards someone who’s just trying to help you out with what not to say. You’re probably not going to get a lot of help and certainly not a spot to hunt. Have a good one.

OP
I
Welcome to Rokslide! I don't think you're going to have anyone tell you exactly where to sit. There are a ton of great post on here with good info though. I'd pull up some maps and just pick a place.
I’m with you, kinda the response I was expecting. I think I just needed someone to remind me there’s no easy way! I spent about a week last year without seeing bears so I have a list of where not to go spots.

the biggest issue for me has been locating the right altitude and signs yo looks for ie: vegetation kinds of trees and stuff like that.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I’m with you, kinda the response I was expecting. I think I just needed someone to remind me there’s no easy way! I spent about a week last year without seeing bears so I have a list of where not to go spots.

the biggest issue for me has been locating the right altitude and signs yo looks for ie: vegetation kinds of trees and stuff like that.
Completely understand. I'd start combing the threads on here. You will find all that info and more!

OP
I
You’re a member, you can see all the past posts and a little searching before hand would have helped with your questions and also showed you what to say and not to say. Now you’re being argumentative towards someone who’s just trying to help you out with what not to say. You’re probably not going to get a lot of help and certainly not a spot to hunt. Have a good one.
Gotcha didn’t know there was a todo list before posting IE: “new member here...”

I did read previous posts, I’m just looking for current conversations on the problem I’m trying to solve in my location, sometimes I see someone comment “DM sent!” or some info about living in the same area or looking for hunting buddies.

You’re being a gate keeper at an open forum.

Gotcha didn’t know there was a todo list before posting IE: “new member here...”

I did read previous posts, I’m just looking for current conversations on the problem I’m trying to solve in my location, sometimes I see someone comment “DM sent!” or some info about living in the same area or looking for hunting buddies.

You’re being a gate keeper at an open forum.
Nope, I gave you a very helpful response and then you turned all sour on someone just trying to help you.

OP
I
Don't shoot the grizzlys👍
Lol gotcha- I’ve actually been filming wildlife on the Idaho boarder and people claimed to see one around us daily, I was told it’s going to be years till there are enough to have a real shot at seeing one inland.

The conservation officer in the area did say there’s a massive increase and collared bears that are moving much further into west Idaho! I hope they continue in and become apart of our Eco.

OP
I
Just curious, what are you searching for grizzlies, or black bears? I took a "break" from my pre season black bear scouting duties, and spent 8 hours searching specifically for grizzlies in an area that an IDF&G employee insisted has a lot of grizzlies, and he emphasized a lot of ( "a lot of" is a very common term used in Idaho when referring to both species of bears) grizzly bears. They're no doubt at lower elevations, which almost certainly means accessing private property. But I'll keep trying in my attempts to eventually photograph one...In the meantime, blacks are my focus of attention at the present time....🐻
I’m out for black bear. I don’t think there’s “a lot” anywhere in Idaho, the total number of Griz in the US is something like 700?

If you’re scouting now for black bear do you start hunting right at the opener? I thought people made a note to go later in the season but maybe in wrong?

Lol gotcha- I’ve actually been filming wildlife on the Idaho boarder and people claimed to see one around us daily, I was told it’s going to be years till there are enough to have a real shot at seeing one inland.

The conservation officer in the area did say there’s a massive increase and collared bears that are moving much further into west Idaho! I hope they continue in and become apart of our Eco.
I've seen 7 grizzly in 2 years up north. As for black bear, they're all over every where, I tend to have the best finding them on the edges of tree lines early morning. Grab a wolf tag.

P Carter

WKR
Hello,

If you live in the McCall zone, people should be hitting you up for locations, not vice versa! There is enough info on spring bear hunting in idaho on these threads that you have more than enough to get started, get out there and you’ll find them.

sneaky

"DADDY"

No you don't, because it will throw a wrench into everything once you have ESA listed animals in your "eco".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I
No you don't, because it will throw a wrench into everything once you have ESA listed animals in your "eco".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
They're already here so it would be better to have a healthy population, why would it be bad to have ESA?

OP
I
If you live in the McCall zone, people should be hitting you up for locations, not vice versa! There is enough info on spring bear hunting in idaho on these threads that you have more than enough to get started, get out there and you’ll find them.
Thank you, I agree... I had a frustrating spring looking in my area and was looking for an easy way out. I just need to keep looking and finding my own spots. I WILL prevail!
Yes..."They" do, but I don't hunt later in the season ( last year was the exception due to COVID-19). Pelt quality, worn claws, the risk of shooting bears with mange ( My first black bear had mange), and the ever present 31,000 bear hunters hunting 20,000 to 25,000 bears is another good reason for hunting earlier......I hunt bears. I'm not an internet warrior/armchair bear hunter...."They can do as they wish....🐻
Hell yeah brother