Idaho CWD Impact Areas Expanding

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Saw the news article, that’s a real bummer for sure. Hopefully doesn’t impact the herd too hard this winter. Im curious if the cwd news would deter folks from hunting a unit with a positive case?

bpeay4

FNG
Saw the news article, that’s a real bummer for sure. Hopefully doesn’t impact the herd too hard this winter. Im curious if the cwd news would deter folks from hunting a unit with a positive case?
If IDFG requires lymphnode from animals harvested in the unit then I bet a lot of people steer clear of the unit in order to avoid the hassle of collecting samples.

Jimss

WKR
I wouldn't worry about CWD! I live smack dab in the hot zone where CWD started in Colo in the early 1980's. 40 years later we have lots of healthy deer with mature bucks running around. I've only seen 2 sick deer in over 40 years roaming the hills where CWD prions have built in the soil. I work out in the field year-round and there are still monster mature muley bucks in our winter ranges. We've never seen a catastrophic die-off in all of these years.

Although some may be concerned about eating CWD positive deer meat there has never been a case of humans getting CWD from processing and eating CWD deer in 40 years in our area or anywhere else in the nation.

I would warn you that your local state wildlife agencies may think the sky is falling down with new occurrences of CWD but this is pretty much inevitable. They won't be able to prevent the spread even with giant culling projects. Take it from our experience here in Colo, culling does nothing to prevent the spread! Prions last in the soil for years upon years. Even in areas where they've culled just about every deer, CWD still is alive in the soil and gradually spreads to adjacent areas. Pretty much every corner of Colo has CWD even though they almost eliminated deer within the CWD hot zone when it first got started.

I really think there is a lot more to worry about than CWD. Poor habitat, predators, auto collisions, and other disease such as EHD likely have more long-term negative impacts.

I wouldn't worry about CWD! I live smack dab in the hot zone where CWD started in Colo in the early 1980's. 40 years later we have lots of healthy deer with mature bucks running around. I've only seen 2 sick deer in over 40 years roaming the hills where CWD prions have built in the soil. I work out in the field year-round and there are still monster mature muley bucks in our winter ranges. We've never seen a catastrophic die-off in all of these years.

Although some may be concerned about eating CWD positive deer meat there has never been a case of humans getting CWD from processing and eating CWD deer in 40 years in our area or anywhere else in the nation.

I would warn you that your local state wildlife agencies may think the sky is falling down with new occurrences of CWD but this is pretty much inevitable. They won't be able to prevent the spread even with giant culling projects. Take it from our experience here in Colo, culling does nothing to prevent the spread! Prions last in the soil for years upon years. Even in areas where they've culled just about every deer, CWD still is alive in the soil and gradually spreads to adjacent areas. Pretty much every corner of Colo has CWD even though they almost eliminated deer within the CWD hot zone when it first got started.

I really think there is a lot more to worry about than CWD. Poor habitat, predators, auto collisions, and other disease such as EHD likely have more long-term negative impacts.

There is not much that can be done at this point, but i disagree with your viewpoint.

I too, live in a very high CWD area.
On 35 acres, we’ve maintained a ten year 50-60% positive prevalence, proven by testing, with mule deer bucks.

The bucks we kill look very healthy, but continue to test positive.
It’s not so much in my opinion, about a catastrophic die-off.

It’s when the prevalence rate gets above 50%, and the herd becomes inundated, it’ll never recover.

Just because you see big bucks, doesn’t mean there isn’t a steep decline in the number of mature bucks.

We too, see big bucks every year, but in my opinion they’re almost guaranteed to be positive, and they’ll be dead in 18-24 months…whereas they’d still be alive for it not for the inundation of CWD.

Additionally, wintering elk commingle with these highly contagious deer, absolutely raising the positive prevalence in the elk herds.

CWD is slow to move, but in the last 20 years living here I’ve absolutely seen the Change in the deer herd.
When I first moved here I’d see giants every year.
Now…not so much, and I’m a very active photographer and shed Hunter.

The change is undeniable.
The sky isn’t falling, and CWD as of today, is said to not transmit to humans.
But, prion diseases mutate.
That’s a fact.
Give it 20-40-60 years.
I’m expecting the story to change.

Devildogg

FNG
Cwd is a money maker for game and fish. By their science we should have no deer left by now. The more you test the more you find. Game and fish dept have killed more deer than cwd.

Devildogg

FNG
I have been part of a group in my state to present a bill to stop the game and fish from banning baiting big. The bill past our house with a huge margin. But the special interest groups like rocky mt elk mule deer foundation and a whole lot of other foundations lobbied our senators and the bill failed. I have watched what other states have done about cwd and it’s absolutely nothing other than going into an area and killing deer. My state found one dead deer and went and culled over 50 whitetail and mule deer and several elk and all tested negative. You have to ask questions about the science. Ask to see the prion ask how many deer died from cwd not with cwd. All the deer they are testing are dead deer that have been hunter killed or something else. Ehd and winters have been the big problems with our deer herds no cwd. Our state received 95,000$ from the feds to put up billboards and radio ads telling people to get their deer tested. They did this to try and change the public’s opinion on cwd. Instead of using this money to create habitat and feeding programs to help the wildlife through harsh winters. Just ask the question what have they done other than restrict methods of hunting to fix it cure stop it the answer you will find is nothing. They stop it fix it cure it they stop getting money.

Jimss

WKR
Spike Camp, I'm not suprised there are fewer awesome bucks today than there were 40+ years ago when CWD first started and few hunters were even aware of giant bucks in Eastern Colorado. How many outfitters lease up giant tracks of some of the best ranches in Eastern Colo and what bucks are they targeting?

Also, how many landowner, private land only, youth, etc doe and buck tags does the CPW issue today than they did years ago? From what I've seen across Colo the CPW has across the board increased tags since CWD showed up 40+ years ago to supposedly combat higher deer numbers of concentrated deer. There is a lot more pressure today put on older age class bucks in Eastern Colo and across the state than was present 30 years ago.

You must agree that since the CPW has pounded older age class bucks in Western Colo with the increase in tags and rut rifle season dates there has been more attention and pressure put on historic, well managed private land in Eastern Colo?

Big bucks = big $!

A major catastrophic die-off has never happened in 40+ years. Those mature bucks you see likely carry some of the best genetics in the entire country that may also carry CWD resistance.