Ongoing Research on Transmission of CWD to Humans

If anything, I expect it’ll infect wolves but not humans, which will then make the hunting better for us.

I recall they had a test where they confirmed CWD could jump to canines—but I would need to find it to confirm.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Like many of you have mentioned, it's definitely changed how I process the meat. It's a meat only affair and the carcass stays etc.

Stalker69

WKR
There is no such thing as a negative test, only not detected. Big difference between negative and not detected.

Positive the prions are present. Not detected they may or may not be present. It isn't 100% "safe" with a not detected test.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Yep, they are trying to cover their ass, because if some was told their animal didn't have CWD and it was to infect a human, they would be sued. Prions are so small they have to " cluster" to even be detected by the strongest microscopes. So They may have CWD but the prions may not have clustered enough to detect.They also are small enough to fit in the " pores", scratches of the knife and processing equipment. And even after trough cleaning ( even bleach) they can still be transfered to what ever that knife ( equipment) comes in contact with. CWD, is easily transfered from animal to animal, even non direct contact. Eating, drinking etc from the same spot, a long time after the original animal has left, like years and years). I will try and post a link, but every time I have tried it is to large. It's a very long read.

The only answer then is that we are screwed as human beings! 🤣 some meat processors will only accept boneless meat now. Who knows how it was treated though before the processor received it. If you hunt in an area where it’s a high risk then don’t bring the animal in to a processor. Use a different knife to remove the head and keep it separated from your other equipment. There are also all kinds of small saws with removable blades as well. I can see a change coming in the future for processors. Either you process WG or domestic but not both in the same facility.

I also have an incinerator that will burn over 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. The only thing left is very few ashes that get cleaned out and sent to the landfill or burned again. It also has a second burner on the chimney to burn the smoke.

If anything, I expect it’ll infect wolves but not humans, which will then make the hunting better for us.

I recall they had a test where they confirmed CWD could jump to canines—but I would need to find it to confirm.

I must retract; turns out I recalled articles about “canine detection” of prions. In other words, dogs can smell them—not that researches have detected CWD infections in dogs.

Yoder

WKR
I don't understand how not cutting the spine or removing the head matters. Deer don't eat each other. If you eat the meat, you can get it. Maybe you'll get "less sick" if you don't come in contact with the brain or spinal column.

Gutshotem

WKR
Sounds ominous. Whats the process for properly cleaning the prions from your hands, nail beds and clothing if they can survive in an outdoor environment for years?

If it makes the jump, hunting and game management through license sales will be over. The sheer reduction in PR Act revenue will tank states' game budgets.

PR revenue is like 90% recreational and tacticool purchases these days, I don’t think CWD would make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
It hasn't shown up in my area yet, and hasn't gotten particularly close either. So far, I'm not testing. Once it's here and I know it's here, I imagine I'll continue eating the meat up until it makes the jump (if it ever does). I would have a hard time feeding meat to my kids if it was known to be positive, whether it had made the jump at that point or not. I guess that's a summation of the level of risk I'm comfortable with - firmly in the middle.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
No kidding.

People freaking out about cwd, but buy beef, chicken, and pork from the store that has all sorts of steroids, gmo grains, and who knows what else pumped into them.
You are one thick-skulled individual. Not a single person in this thread has been "freaking out" over CWD, and.. yet again, we are discussing CWD - not GMOs, steroids, Covid, chemtrails, UFOs, or any other whataboutism / off-topic tangent you keep trying to force. This discussion is also not about attacking people that are interested in the body of research surrounding CWD and it's potential impact on humans and hunting practices. If you can't make a meaningful contribution, move to another thread / topic. I think you've made your stance clear at this point.

Read the room, dude.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
I don't understand how not cutting the spine or removing the head matters. Deer don't eat each other. If you eat the meat, you can get it. Maybe you'll get "less sick" if you don't come in contact with the brain or spinal column.
I think the spinal fluids / brain matter thing may be more a matter of preventing the spread of CWD in general, and not so much avoiding consumption of it. Exposing the brain and spinal fluids maximizes the amount of prion exposure dispersed, which would make for a nightmare with respect to game transport and processing facilities. That's just my educated guess though.

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Sounds ominous. Whats the process for properly cleaning the prions from your hands, nail beds and clothing if they can survive in an outdoor environment for years?
I would imagine prevention would be the best bet. For example, not messing with the spine or head while field dressing, and then having a separate kit for retrieving the lymph nodes for testing.

I have both a Havalon and an Outdoor Edge replaceable razor knife. I originally bought both to compare them to see which I prefer, but now I use the more robust OE one for gutless field dressing / getting my meat, and the Havalon for the lymph node work. They stay in separate kits. I don't touch lymph nodes until my meat is completely squared away and in the cooler, then I go back and get the lymph nodes, they go straight into a ziploc, and then my razor and gloves go into their own ziploc for disposal. That's really the best I can do.

It would not change the way I hunt if I it can transmit to humans. I would finally start getting them tested tho. Here in Wisconsin they give you another tag if your deer came back positive. Living in Iowa county wi since the outbreak here I am sure I have eaten a deer that would have tested positive. In 2022 934 deer were tested and 264 were positive or 28.26% we put 5 deer in the freezer last year. We stopped testing after they stopped mandating it.

I also wonder if there are varying levels of CWD as we still have plenty of deer around. How long can a deer live with it? (One doe last year was 8 years old) Can it carry it and never die from it? Being that it can only be tested on dead animals makes it hard for me to wrap my head around these question. I’ll admit I haven’t done much research into these questions.

It would not change the way I hunt if I it can transmit to humans. I would finally start getting them tested tho. Here in Wisconsin they give you another tag if your deer came back positive. Living in Iowa county wi since the outbreak here I am sure I have eaten a deer that would have tested positive. In 2022 934 deer were tested and 264 were positive or 28.26% we put 5 deer in the freezer last year. We stopped testing after they stopped mandating it.

I also wonder if there are varying levels of CWD as we still have plenty of deer around. How long can a deer live with it? (One doe last year was 8 years old) Can it carry it and never die from it? Being that it can only be tested on dead animals makes it hard for me to wrap my head around these question. I’ll admit I haven’t done much research into these questions.
I just listened to Robby's Rokcast with Idaho's deer/elk biologist. According to him, there are multiple variants of it and some animals can live up to 10 years with it. That's at the 1:13.00 mark if you are interested.

bobinmi

WKR
won't change anything that I do. As far as I'm concerned CWD means I don't have to dick around with front stuffers anymore in my area. Rifle season extends through ML in my unit of MI in a hope to kill more does.

I would imagine prevention would be the best bet. For example, not messing with the spine or head while field dressing, and then having a separate kit for retrieving the lymph nodes for testing.

I have both a Havalon and an Outdoor Edge replaceable razor knife. I originally bought both to compare them to see which I prefer, but now I use the more robust OE one for gutless field dressing / getting my meat, and the Havalon for the lymph node work. They stay in separate kits. I don't touch lymph nodes until my meat is completely squared away and in the cooler, then I go back and get the lymph nodes, they go straight into a ziploc, and then my razor and gloves go into their own ziploc for disposal. That's really the best I can do.

It might be the best you can do, but you have no idea if it actually does anything at all. There in lies the problems with these conversations. No one really knows, but most act like they have if all figured out.

Personally, it appears to be such a small risk I don’t even think about it. Better to put my time and energy into something more productive. My risk of dying in the backcountry versus from some new form of CWD is likely astronomically higher. I am not giving up going in the mountains, so I am definitely not giving up eating venison.

To each there own, but most people do very poor at objectively evaluating risk, let alone managing it. Myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are one thick-skulled individual. Not a single person in this thread has been "freaking out" over CWD, and.. yet again, we are discussing CWD - not GMOs, steroids, Covid, chemtrails, UFOs, or any other whataboutism / off-topic tangent you keep trying to force. This discussion is also not about attacking people that are interested in the body of research surrounding CWD and it's potential impact on humans and hunting practices. If you can't make a meaningful contribution, move to another thread / topic. I think you've made your stance clear at this point.

Read the room, dude.
Nobody has been attacked other than you being offended and snarky because someone doesn't share your view. Carry on with your cwd whataboutism.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I'm careful in how I process the animal to not cut into the spine/glands/brain until I'm finished removing and isolating meat.

I will test my kills because I feed the meat to my family. If it comes back negative, that's good enough for me. I've eaten so much wild game without testing over the years, it's likely I've eaten animals that have had it.

If it jumps to humans, we will all have a bigger problem than how it will affect hunting.

That said, with the current info available, I am far more concerned with tick exposure and the myriad of nasty diseases they carry than CWD.

I'm careful in how I process the animal to not cut into the spine/glands/brain until I'm finished removing and isolating meat.

I will test my kills because I feed the meat to my family. If it comes back negative, that's good enough for me. I've eaten so much wild game without testing over the years, it's likely I've eaten animals that have had it.

If it jumps to humans, we will all have a bigger problem than how it will affect hunting.

That said, with the current info available, I am far more concerned with tick exposure and the myriad of nasty diseases they carry than CWD.
It sounds like ticks may be able to pick up the prions as well as the other diseases the bastards can carry.