Idaho Elk Hunt 2020

Pro953

WKR
Just when you think sheep odds are bad, try pulling a Tulie Bull tag. I thought this was my year with .0003% odds. Missed it by a hair I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning an archery elk hunt for late September in Idaho. Some locals have pointed me towards units 32A and 22 in the council mountain area. Does anyone else have recommendations or input on where to start scouting? I have never hunted the area before. I'd also like to find somewhere that doesn't get overrun by hunters.
Thanks!

22 is big country, huge drainages. #1 thing to kill elk in there is get in great shape, be tough, willing to bivy, and put in the miles. There’s some hell holes that always hold em. Call, move, call, repeat. If you hear wolves, bug out.

JT3

FNG
I will also be going to this unit but for rifle season. Good luck! This will be my first season so I'm fully expecting it to be rough but a learning adventure.
Please PM me
I am planning an archery elk hunt for late September in Idaho. Some locals have pointed me towards units 32A and 22 in the council mountain area. Does anyone else have recommendations or input on where to start scouting? I have never hunted the area before. I'd also like to find somewhere that doesn't get overrun by hunters.
Thanks!
How’d your hunt go? I’m doing the same hunt this season.

JT3

FNG
Would you say that’s likely due to the fact the terrain is easier and there really isn’t any wilderness or any part more than 3 to 3.5 miles from any road? Now I’m reconsidering which unit to go to the more I look at it. The last thing I want to do my first year elk hunting is to be sitting in other folks laps while everyone is trying to shoot elk.
Did you stick with your tag for this hunt or switch it up? Curios to hear abt your trip.
I will also be going to this unit but for rifle season. Good luck! This will be my first season so I'm fully expecting it to be rough but a learning adventure.

Eastfork

FNG
Every unit in idaho holds elk. Ok, maybe not every unit but almost. Only advice is to not really listen to anyone's advice. Just go make it your hunt. Every one has different experiences and expectations. Every one hunts different. I've hunted idaho for years. In pretty much every scenario possible. It's public land. There will be pressure. Learn how the elk live. Idaho is awesome. And super fun to hunt. And remember the sucess of the hunt is not if the tag is filled or not. That's just a bonus. Bit believe me. With a little time and patience it will happen. Don't keep bouncing around if you can help it. Learn one area and stick ot out. The next unit over ain't always better......that's my 2 cents....

Randle

WKR
Joined 2 years ago, posted 1 question post and has not been back. Hope Squatch didnt get him.

Joined 2 years ago, posted 1 question post and has not been back. Hope Squatch didnt get him.
I met him up on the hill when he came out here. Great guy, military vet. He was a big waterfowl hunter in the Midwest. I’m not sure elk hunting in Idaho was his thing. Edited to add, I met @SemperHunter, not the OP.

Last edited:
Lots of people, no elk. Try California.
montana has tons of elk so doesn't idaho
plenty of public land and great opportunity
love it when guys get upset somebody else is hunting
in their PUBLIC LAND private spot they pay taxes on it just like we do they have the right to hunt it every bit as much as anyone does

slowelk

WKR
montana has tons of elk so doesn't idaho
plenty of public land and great opportunity
love it when guys get upset somebody else is hunting
in their PUBLIC LAND private spot they pay taxes on it just like we do they have the right to hunt it every bit as much as anyone does

Seems like you agree with me, Idaho DOESN'T have any elk.

Take a joke you homer.

JT3

FNG
Every unit in idaho holds elk. Ok, maybe not every unit but almost. Only advice is to not really listen to anyone's advice. Just go make it your hunt. Every one has different experiences and expectations. Every one hunts different. I've hunted idaho for years. In pretty much every scenario possible. It's public land. There will be pressure. Learn how the elk live. Idaho is awesome. And super fun to hunt. And remember the sucess of the hunt is not if the tag is filled or not. That's just a bonus. Bit believe me. With a little time and patience it will happen. Don't keep bouncing around if you can help it. Learn one area and stick ot out. The next unit over ain't always better......that's my 2 cents....
Thank you for the reply and good advice!

Sharpio

FNG
Old thread but I grew up hunting 32A... Anybody willing to post some elk they shot in that unit?