Idaho Goat hunt

I was fortunate to draw a goat tag in central Idaho. I will not list the specific unit, but happy to share via private message. I'm looking for advice from anybody that has experience hunting goats in the mountain west, or even better if you've hunted them in Idaho. Seems like there are quite a few members here on rokslide that have experience hunting goats so I thought I'd reach out. Any and all help is welcome. As you'll see by the questions, I'm new to the goat hunting game and have a lot to learn in the coming months.

A few things I'm currently trying to work out:
1. Season dates are August 30-November 12? Anybody with experience hunting goats in central idaho recommend trying to hunt them earlier in the season to avoid access issues with snow? Or do a lot of people wait until the last 2-3 weeks of the season to hunt them in pursuit of a better coat?

2. When do you start to see that coat grow? Would the last week of September be a little early for a good coat? Would you recommend waiting until a certain date to harvest an animal?

3. Is coat going to affect the looks much of a shoulder or pedestal mount? Or is this really only relevant for full body mounts/rugs?

More goat specific questions:
1. Are male goats likely to remain in the same area in October/November as I find them in August, or do male goats roam?
2. Are goats similar to deer and elk in that they are more active in the morning and evenings? Are they daily waterers?

Other:
1. Any good taxidermist recs for goat in the Idaho or Utah region?
2. Also if you have a cool goat mount, post up a picture if you don't mind. Looking for ideas of what to do if I harvest an animal.

Feel free to PM me.

Antares

WKR
Congrats man, pumped for you!

If you don’t already have A Beast the Color of Winter by Chadwick, I’d recommend getting a copy. It might offer some insight on your questions about hair growth and movement.

IMG_2332.jpeg

I would aim last week September early October, I depends on the year but it’s a balancing act, you want to go when the hair is good, but depending on the the unit don’t wait to long and not be able to get into the country you want to if we get an early few heavy snows. Would love to help more if ya want to shoot me a PM

OP
J
I would aim last week September early October, I depends on the year but it’s a balancing act, you want to go when the hair is good, but depending on the the unit don’t wait to long and not be able to get into the country you want to if we get an early few heavy snows. Would love to help more if ya want to shoot me a PM
PM sent

Pater

FNG
It will be a blast. I drew a goat tag in the Idaho panhandle last season and ended up taking a nice billy with a great coat the first week of October. Weather was never an issue, but I’m sure that will change year-to-year. Where I was focusing my hunt, I never saw a mature billy with nannies. They seemed to be a ridge or two away from the nannies. I would put eyes on as many goats as possible. The more you see, the easier it is to spot a mature billy. Good luck. I hope you get a great one.

Attachments

• IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
J
It will be a blast. I drew a goat tag in the Idaho panhandle last season and ended up taking a nice billy with a great coat the first week of October. Weather was never an issue, but I’m sure that will change year-to-year. Where I was focusing my hunt, I never saw a mature billy with nannies. They seemed to be a ridge or two away from the nannies. I would put eyes on as many goats as possible. The more you see, the easier it is to spot a mature billy. Good luck. I hope you get a great one.

Great, appreciate the advice. I love hearing prior tag holders get excited about their goat hunts. Hopefully mine is as memorable as yours. I'll be certain to PM you and let you know how the hunt went.

OP
J
1. Depending on access I would think mid October is your sweet spot.

2. Early October seems to be when coats really change.

3. Yes.
I appreciate the advice. Sounds like I need to focus on October. I have a chunk of time off the last 10 days of September and again starting October 14th so I may just hold off until October to shoot one. I'll be in there there either way in September chasing elk versus goats. If I find a billy in a good spot it might be hard to pass up the opportunity but we will see. I would like to get one with a decent coat.

ndbuck09

WKR
Wait til end of sept/early october and if you can do it, be flexible when you head out, waiting for a good weather window of a handful of days. I found that the billy's were pretty much in same area they were in july august at the beginning of October.

Sundance Taxidermy in Boise.

A huge part of the hunt is trying to determine if the goats you're seeing a mile away are nanny's or billys. Obviously kids around help but even still. Do a lot of work on being able to identify between the sexes.