Idaho Moose Draw

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
First year applying for moose in Idaho and drew a once in a lifetime tag for an area near my house.

I’ve seen plenty of them around while hiking and hunting other critters , to include some nice bulls, but does anyone have any tips i should keep in mind as i prep myself for this fall?

Yes. Take a friend, or maybe two depending on how far you plan on going - they are big and heavy. and hoisting a leg while you separate it isn't something you'll do by yourself, much less hauling the bloody thing out.

I went with a guy who had trail cams on ponds, studied them like mad, made a plan, and then I sat back and watch that plan disintegrate when a bull that had never been on camera came in grunting from an area he wasn't expecting, and we called it in and shot it. Point being, keep your ears open, and yourself flexible.

I enjoyed being involved and still have meat in the freezer from it. IIf it were my moose I may have kept the hide. They are substantial and impressive

I got the email today and shouted "I got a moose tag!" In the middle of a busy ER. I drew an area I am not familiar with so I plan on making a lot of phone calls to biologists and anyone else who may be able to give me some help. A preemptive thank you to anyone who can offer some advice in this thread.

I found this shed a few days ago. I now consider it a good omen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-214938_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508-214938_Gallery.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 28
I got the email today and shouted "I got a moose tag!" In the middle of a busy ER. I drew an area I am not familiar with so I plan on making a lot of phone calls to biologists and anyone else who may be able to give me some help. A preemptive thank you to anyone who can offer some advice in this thread.

I found this shed a few days ago. I now consider it a good omen.
Nice! I have a small pair of matched moose sheds on my wall that i found last fall elk hunting, i hadn’t considered it a good omen but now i will.

Attachments

• 37D7FE42-E827-4A29-BE85-7F8267B37D32.jpeg
    37D7FE42-E827-4A29-BE85-7F8267B37D32.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Yes. Take a friend, or maybe two depending on how far you plan on going - they are big and heavy. and hoisting a leg while you separate it isn't something you'll do by yourself, much less hauling the bloody thing out.

I went with a guy who had trail cams on ponds, studied them like mad, made a plan, and then I sat back and watch that plan disintegrate when a bull that had never been on camera came in grunting from an area he wasn't expecting, and we called it in and shot it. Point being, keep your ears open, and yourself flexible.

I enjoyed being involved and still have meat in the freezer from it. IIf it were my moose I may have kept the hide. They are substantial and impressive
My wife will be my hunting partner 90% of the time. My biggest problem is that my job is more flexible than most people i know.

Reactions: ODB
Have fun 100% of the time. Don’t congregate in 1 area with trail cams either. I had 10 spread out throughout my moose sub unit to narrow down areas.
You know, my brain is probably just going slow, I use trail cams for whitetails and have had moose on them, but I wasn’t even thinking about that.

Might be worth getting a couple more and spreading them out across some areas.

Congrats! My Dad drew out this year as well. We're currently escouting the crap out of the unit until we can get boots on the ground. I love escouting!

Back