Idaho: Most Striking/Visually Appealing OTC Zone--

Extremely unambitious hunter. If I ever take an elk, it will likely have walked up to
my truck and committed suicide. And I will very probably be boiling some tea,
reading a book, or taking a nap. I just like the idea that when I am camping
in a wild place I have the technical possibilty, however remote, of even seeing an
elk. August of 2021 I saw several mature bulls, a huge pronghorn, and a Golden Eagle
during ten days in the Big Desert--(not an OTC tag)--pretty much made my year. To insure
some measure of "not looking for a secret spot" it is completely not relevant if you
or anyone you know has ever killed an elk within fifty miles of the following criteria:

1. A place/environment you would dream of building a cabin if such a thing were
possible, because of the view. The place you might be tempted to go back too,
no matter what, simply because of the natural beauty.

2. Reasonable access by an old 4/4 Suburban with good tires.

3. OTC resident rifle B elk tag only.

4. Fewer people better than more--but from my reading here I suspect that
is simply no longer possible.

5. A big plus if there are wolves. However remote the possibility of either, I would
likely kill a wolf over an elk.

From reading, mapping, and time so far in Idaho, I keep coming up with the Sawtooth
zone. Visually striking. Some elk, if not the best because of soil mineralization/Boise
pressure/etc. But plenty of wolves! A long season, Oct. 15/Nov. 8, and a reasonably
large area, so some possibility of getting away from traffic particularly during the
work week. Tex Creek is small, short season (The Seven Day War) and crowded.
Bear River is also not a large zone. I am so far thoroughly unfamiliar with McCall
Weiser Middle Fork Salmon/etc./other OTC zones.

Any advice very much appreciated.

OP
D
SWO/CustomW much thanks. It really might be that simple. I will start driving/checking
the roads/views in Sawtooths by late September. Backpacking: very much correct. So far
I've spent all my time in desert/arid zones by preference--but these tend not to be OTC/s.
Mountains will be a new thing!

SWOHTR

WKR
SWO/CustomW much thanks. It really might be that simple. I will start driving/checking
the roads/views in Sawtooths by late September. Backpacking: very much correct. So far
I've spent all my time in desert/arid zones by preference--but these tend not to be OTC/s.
Mountains will be a new thing!
The Sawtooths near Stanley, and the White Clouds Wilderness, are some of the neatest views I've seen and I view them as the "gold standard" when I think of Western landscapes and living.

Unfortunately, so does an ever-increasing percentage of the population...

OP
D
SWOHTR--much appreciated. For Sawtooths, and any/all zones in general, is there any IDFG
statistical "lack of success" rate at which hunting pressure notably decreases? I'm pretty much
just "camping with a rifle"--so a 5% hunter success rate with consequent 50% decrease in traffic but stunning views and reasonable 4/4 access would be pretty much ideal. I will freely admit the "idea" of taking an elk is far more appealing to me than the reality of competitive pursuit. To the extent I actually want to shoot something: wolves to the max (really really difficult, understood). Then someday, bears. Big problem with shooting a big elk--that means it has to be processed. Immediately. And that means my trip is over and I have to go home. As a life-long and habituated desert rat I was disappointed to realize that the Idaho desert/dry zones are generally (and reasonably) draw zones. It is mountains I know pretty much nothing about.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sawtooth area this September is choked with Smoke and getting worse by the day. It's neat country when you can see it, but the Ross Fork and Mormon Bend fires certainly aren't helping things at the moment. Hoping for this cold front towards the end of the week to bring some snow but I'm not holding my breath.