Start Applying This Year? CO.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like there’s big changes coming to OTC in CO. After four seasons of life and work getting in the way, this fall I’ll be finally going archery elk in CO. No great expectations except a good time in the wilderness, just seeing or hearing and elk will be enough to satisfy me beyond worlds. But, as I am getting closer to military retirement (28 months out) and my vacation time opens up afterward, should I start applying for points this year? And can I still buy an OTC if I apply for points? My reasoning is that should OTC drastically change for NRs I’d be building points for later seasons.

The process is a little confusing to me anyways.
Thoughts?

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, go as soon as you can. Yes, buy a point because you'll become addicted. Yes, you can still buy an OTC tag and earn a point for the year.

I can't forsee things getting "better" in the next few years here, especially for NR's. Have a blast, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely be buying points if it's financially okay for you to do so. I have points in all states that use a point system, and it's not as hard as some make it sound to manage.

There will be no Elk left in CO once the Wolves become established. Total of 10 releases to date. They kill for enjoyment, not just to eat.

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
There will be no Elk left in CO once the Wolves become established. Total of 10 releases to date. They kill for enjoyment, not just to eat.
I don’t think this is a fair assessment. Wolves and elk have been playing their dance long before we showed up. As far as killing for enjoyment, I think that’s a far cry. Now I know full well the impact canines have on deer and the like, and I would guess it won’t be good but it’s. It an extinction event.

JK_CO

FNG
Looks like there’s big changes coming to OTC in CO. After four seasons of life and work getting in the way, this fall I’ll be finally going archery elk in CO. No great expectations except a good time in the wilderness, just seeing or hearing and elk will be enough to satisfy me beyond worlds. But, as I am getting closer to military retirement (28 months out) and my vacation time opens up afterward, should I start applying for points this year? And can I still buy an OTC if I apply for points? My reasoning is that should OTC drastically change for NRs I’d be building points for later seasons.

The process is a little confusing to me anyways.
Thoughts?
Think of it this way:
- Preference Points = Limited Draw
- OTC = Unlimited Draw

Different draw, different license (sort-of) and different rules. In order to gain a preference point in CO it is supposed to be your first choice on the limited draw hunting application. Any secondary choices (antler-less, additional units, etc.) are still allowed but the preference point should be first. If you draw an antlered elk tag in the draw, you will NOT be able to also hold an OTC antlered/any-elk tag. If (which realistically you will be) unsuccessful in the draw (because you have a point going first and secondary draws are essentially zero likelihood) then you could gain a preference point AND still purchase an OTC any-elk tag in the fall. I actually did this as a resident this past year and gained a point and went archery OTC hunting in the same year.