Idaho OTC tag purchase experience

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
So, how’d you do? What method did you use and did you get the tag you wanted? Third choice?

I was online had a normal tab and an incognito tab open. My dad told me to take the first priority and if it worked out to have the same unit to buy his. One was 32000ish and one was 2500ish. Still took almost two hours but I had the pick of the three units I wanted. My buddies weren’t as lucky. Ended up with unit 48.

Last edited:

nvkevin

FNG
I was #17,785 this year. Took about 2.5 hours to get to me. I ended up passing on everything as I have plans for other states. Idaho is always a crapshoot with the OTC. There were maybe 4 or 5 elk tags left, and a lot of mule deer tags left when my turn came up. Website did seem better this year. Last year I was #17xx and it took almost the same amount of time. Good luck to you guys!!

collinjet

FNG
Ended up at 34,469. Was not very optimistic, but decided to ride it out. I didn't know you could have multiple tabs open. Wish I would have haha. I've only been out West once for a spring bear hunt, so I'm itching to get back.

Had 5 elk zones picked & 9 deer units that I would be happy with. When I got in, there were 3 units of interest left.

Ended up with a deer tag. Looking forward to getting out and exploring a new area!

Not too sure how the controlled tags work but I'll end up doing some reading on that as well.

Couldn't tell you guys how happy I am to have the opportunity to make it out!!:)

Last edited:
This year the system failed me. Was given 25k in line, then after 30 minutes it told me my queue number was no longer valid. Got a new number at 65k, then within a few minutes it said it was my turn to purchase a tag (little walking man finished his walk and my app “dinged”). Once I was waiting to be redirected it told me my queue number was rejected. Tried it a dozen more times with the same result & gave up.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
This year the system failed me. Was given 25k in line, then after 30 minutes it told me my queue number was no longer valid. Got a new number at 65k, then within a few minutes it said it was my turn to purchase a tag (little walking man finished his walk and my app “dinged”). Once I was waiting to be redirected it told me my queue number was rejected. Tried it a dozen more times with the same result & gave up.
That’s terrible. Sorry man.

I got in…. And put my unit in my cart. Then didn’t check out and logged off. Idk just wasn’t excited for it after this year up there. Going to take a year off then go back in 2025.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I was around 23k in line. It took about three hours to get to me. I was after archery mule deer only and had 6 units rank ordered that I was interested in. I wound up with my 5th choice as all of the others were sold out already.

JustHunt

FNG
I passed on the general this year. A few days ago I ran around in one of the units mentioned here. There was cold and some snow. Spent a day down low and turned up a couple handfuls of does and a spike x 2. I’de rather eat a tag somewhere else than be stuck in one unit looking for a mature buck in a depleted herd.

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Was around #48000 this year, most everything I was interested in was sold out. Got a DAV bear tag and that’s it

horniac

FNG
The same thing happened to me unfortunately…

Horniac

JustHunt

FNG
Was around #48000 this year, most everything I was interested in was sold out. Got a DAV bear tag and that’s it
Wow.

Incredible how things have changed so quickly. In 2016 I picked up an Idaho general tag at a grocery store middle of October and went hunting… and actually saw bucks. Handfuls of bucks each day. Can’t believe how far it’s fallen and how much the demand keeps turning up.

deadwolf

WKR
Wow.

Incredible how things have changed so quickly. In 2016 I picked up an Idaho general tag at a grocery store middle of October and went hunting… and actually saw bucks. Handfuls of bucks each day. Can’t believe how far it’s fallen and how much the demand keeps turning up.

Same for me, but it was 2017. This online circus just makes me cringe and run away. I’m sure that some folks will appreciate one less applicant, but I miss going to Idaho for OTC deer : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Wow.

Yeah my first year hunting Idaho was 2016, deer numbers where strong. I killed my buck in mid October and had the option to go buy another STATEWIDE tag. I opted not too……. those where the days!

warrbuk

WKR
The same thing happened to me unfortunately…

Horniac

Me too, i was using the app. Got to my number and it told me I would be redirected. Next message a couple minutes later was that my number was no longer valid.

It popped me back inline with a 55K number

3 buddies got tags for our unit and one of them was mid 18K. I may go and be be the camp bitch if i cant get something else going. Sucks

I was in the 17,000’s and my first and second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my first year hunting Idaho was 2016, deer numbers where strong. I killed my buck in mid October and had the option to go buy another STATEWIDE tag. I opted not too……. those where the days!
Yep, I remember driving to Riggleys and buying an elk tag OTC in mid-September. First year hunting Idaho was 2013, and the last year was 2020.

I'm done with Idaho. I can use that money on adventure hunts elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

deerlick

FNG
We used to go Thanksgiving weekend, buy our deer tags on the way, fill them and go buy another. Also remember the discounted second tags, the good ole days that weren't long ago