Idaho potential nonresident fee increase

87TT

WKR
That payout to that farmer was an anomaly. They changed the rules after that. It was paid out of fund that has a fixed budget and it ate up almost the whole years budget. The fund is paid by the dep fee that everyone pays when you buy a license. That farmer had been working with DFG to stop the depredation including allowing hunters. Bottom line, it has nothing to do with NR fees.
As for quality, ANY elk is "quality. And I bet that anything you could buy today for the same price as it was over ten years ago would be a "bargain".

Fullfan

WKR
8 of us hunt Idaho as nonresidents, and with the fee increase we will continue to do so.

Gobbler36

WKR
What does being a fall back state have to do with prices? Raising prices won't curb anything, see Wyoming which had no bearing on slowing down applicants. Capping zones however will. I've hunted Idaho for several years as a NR when I've been able to draw limited tags (Elk not deer, also have done OTC). I have only seen an increase in interest not actually individuals in the field. I suggest you research how many tags go to NR. For a very long time ID OTC tags never sold out, infact I bought them on my drive to the unit area several times.

With that being said, it sounds like you'd prefer individuals to not have any opportunity to hunt. The fact that we have a strong economy, will increase discretionary spending that people throw down on hunting trips, guns, ammo, and equipment. Yes the same things that WE all pay taxes into the Pittman-Robertson fun for conservation.

We, yes WE, as sportsman should encourage as much hunting as possible to keep it alive for the younger generations. Without it, ID will turn into Colorado or even worst California. Or worst yet there simply won't be any hunting left.
I have researched it bud it was like 15k nr elk and like 12k deer tags to NR and they sell out by the end of August.
I live here maybe you don’t see on your one hunting trip here for a week but over the course of multiple season during the year I can tell you there are more and more people with out of state tags here not just thinking about it. In a perfect world sure I’d be open arms but limited resources and limited ground to hunt isn’t a recipe for welcoming more and more. So a state fish and game agency should manage in the interest of its residents when concerning fish and game. Maybe we’ll adopt some kind of WY system where NR have to draw otc tags

I have researched it bud it was like 15k nr elk and like 12k deer tags to NR and they sell out by the end of August.
I live here maybe you don’t see on your one hunting trip here for a week but over the course of multiple season during the year I can tell you there are more and more people with out of state tags here not just thinking about it. In a perfect world sure I’d be open arms but limited resources and limited ground to hunt isn’t a recipe for welcoming more and more. So a state fish and game agency should manage in the interest of its residents when concerning fish and game. Maybe we’ll adopt some kind of WY system where NR have to draw otc tags

Theres more NR even though IDFW hasn't raised the NR quota in years?
Now that just seems mathematically impossible.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
As a non resident I am fine with the fee going up. I planned my mule deer hunt for 8 years before I finally got to do it. Idaho was always and will be my first choice to mule deer hunt. Once I made it out there I didn't be wanna leave, everything about the state just appeals to me and I'll keep buying tags at the non resident fee happily till I move there in a couple of years.

KurtR

WKR

12815 elk tags and 14000 deer tags
It’s right here https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-nonresident
Been going for four years and last year was the first time the elk tags were sold out in August

Lowndes

FNG
Idaho needs to raise prices. As a NR myself they should be charging more for what they have to offer. It seems with the allocations being so heavily slanted to residents the nonresidents aren’t the ones putting the massive pressure on these animals. If the herds are suffering then limit tags to the appropriate number and figure out the appropriate mix of resident/nonresident tags.

Ahh yes, my "one week a year", more like several plus weekends to scout. No worries though, guess I'm killin your elk too. I don't hunt deer in ID, but from what I've seen it's not best managed in terms of quality. Lots and lots of ppl on top of themselves mostly R who blame the poor quality on NR despite tag #s staying the same.

License plates don't mean much, could be 3 vehicles helping out one person? Seems to be the same non educated mindset I've encountered, the elk license #s have not increased for NR, only where people are(I don't hunt those areas). But hey what do I know? I didn't live there for 4 years when I was stationed there with my out of state license plates.

The point being if IDFG was serious about quality of hunt for R, raising prices is not how it's done (Im fine paying the increased prices), considering NR pay >50% of the bills. Limiting the # of tags for high demand areas would be the first place to start.

Gobbler36

WKR
12815 elk tags and 14000 deer tags
It’s right here https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-nonresident
Been going for four years and last year was the first time the elk tags were sold out in August
Sorry had the numbers with the wrong species. Your right though and the year before that they sold out sept 3 year before that they were sold out by the 9th sorry for missing it by a few days

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
Ahh yes, my "one week a year", more like several plus weekends to scout. No worries though, guess I'm killin your elk too. I don't hunt deer in ID, but from what I've seen it's not best managed in terms of quality. Lots and lots of ppl on top of themselves mostly R who blame the poor quality on NR despite tag #s staying the same.

License plates don't mean much, could be 3 vehicles helping out one person? Seems to be the same non educated mindset I've encountered, the elk license #s have not increased for NR, only where people are(I don't hunt those areas). But hey what do I know? I didn't live there for 4 years when I was stationed there with my out of state license plates.

The point being if IDFG was serious about quality of hunt for R, raising prices is not how it's done (Im fine paying the increased prices), considering NR pay >50% of the bills. Limiting the # of tags for high demand areas would be the first place to start.

Agree with the last paragraph that’s why I said raising the prices was a good place to start and that hopefully they’ll get to limiting the tags especially since that was a topic on a questionnaire for resident hunters a few months back

I love Idaho but every year I can I will hunt MT for the overall value. I haven’t found the right areas in Idaho yet but will keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Theres more NR even though IDFW hasn't raised the NR quota in years?
Now that just seems mathematically impossible.
Not necessarily. The nr numbers are fixed but, that does not mean all those are sold to nr hunters. The unsold tags go back into circulation for everyone in June, at non res prices. There are always unsold nr deer tags and some nr elk tags, depending on zone.

Non residents have 2 choices...and exactly 2 choices.

1. Pay what Idaho wants to charge and go hunting.

2. Sit at home on the couch and sing the blues.

You're normally on point Buzz but I have to say you missed the mark on this one! Obviously many people will take option #3
- buy the tag and bitch insistently about the fee increase!

Honestly, if you aren't factoring a tag price increase every 5-6 years in western states your kidding yourself. Factor a 3% increase year over year with the actual increase only coming once every 5 or 6 years and you'll be fine.