Idaho Proposed Law Making All NR tags Go to Draw

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that's exactly the reason it needs done they way it is through legislation the commission has made the decision they don't care about the cluster they have created.

As much as I don't like legislation for stuff like this I think this is one that it's justified
I felt that way when they pushed through the lighted nocks, but in doing so they attached mechanical broadheads to the bill as well.
The problem with legislation making laws is they will try and push through bills like the one mentioned above where if an outfitter kills a wolf he gets a sheep tag...as if bighorn sheep can withstand additional harvest on the whim of a senator.
I can't say it's impossible for the commission to be paid off by special interest groups, but it's gotta be a lot more difficult than paying off a politician.
I won't argue the the fish and game department always does what's best for the sportsman of Idaho, but they sure do better than politicians ever would.

Reactions: TVW

Marble

WKR
Having a draw would get rid of a lot of the drama that goes on like this last year. Kudos to the people who got in line early in person and got their tag. But for those who didn't think outside the box , most got screwed.

I had a really low number and was shocked at how many tags went away before it was my turn.

I would just prefer to see the application be in early Dec with a draw Jan 1.

Random... for all NR. Seems like it would be rather easy to implement since they already have a draw system in place.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

To be clear, I am a resident so I don't have to worry about the tag buying process a NR does. I do understand it sucks and we could use a draw system. However that needs to be up to the commission to decide. If we let politicians run the game and fish department we will be in no better shape than WA which will soon (I believe) have no predator hunting to speak of, or Colorado which introduces an apex predator by nothing more than a popular vote.
Let the people who spend their life studying wildlife make decisions for wildlife.

I agree. Start calling and writing to your representatives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
It can be done if we try.

To be clear, I am a resident so I don't have to worry about the tag buying process a NR does. I do understand it sucks and we could use a draw system. However that needs to be up to the commission to decide. If we let politicians run the game and fish department we will be in no better shape than WA which will soon (I believe) have no predator hunting to speak of, or Colorado which introduces an apex predator by nothing more than a popular vote.
Let the people who spend their life studying wildlife make decisions for wildlife.

Or NM that won't allow small predator control through trapping, brought to us by legislation...

IDVortex

WKR
I agree. Start calling and writing to your representatives!

Not just that, but also start talking to other hunters, getting them on board about it too. We're only heard in numbers. If you want something changed, numbers matter.

I talked to the regional supervisor for fish and game and asked him directly if the commission had the power to implement a draw system and he said they did.
No need for the legislature to force it upon them.
The legislature gave them the points authority in 2009. They just haven’t utilized it.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho resident here so I may be speaking out of turn but if they charged an NRs an application fee, couldn’t we theoretically eliminate some of these NR tags? I’m not saying cut the tags in half, but maybe 10 percent? Also how much would an Idaho resident be willing to pay for a license or tag if it went we could decrease the number of tags given out?

Get Idaho to stop offering the NR tags on December 1st and the mad rush will quiet down. Make all NR tag purchases in person only (having to show ID) starting May 1st at any Idaho vendor.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
it does not matter to me, how the non residents get there tags, as long as i can buy a second elk tag in august.

Slightly off topic but I don't think buying 2nd tags should be an option for anyone whether that's Res or Non Res.... our game populations aren't exactly killing it, we don't need folks shooting multiple Elk or Deer in a year.

pugwylde

FNG
I think what is concerning is how much sense the idea of a draw makes. If everyone thinks it's a good idea, but no one takes action until the bill is passed, it gives merit to the idea that the legislature should make these decisions. That the idea of legislature making those decisions is a bad idea send to be something else everyone agrees on... So how do we get Fish and Game to take action before their hand is forced?

idahodave

WKR
Slightly off topic but I don't think buying 2nd tags should be an option for anyone whether that's Res or Non Res.... our game populations aren't exactly killing it, we don't need folks shooting multiple Elk or Deer in a year.

IDFG set's tag limits. Presumably the numbers support someone hunting with that tag.

Should the state NOT collect the revenue for selling leftover tags? What difference does it make who buys the tag?

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
IDFG set's tag limits. Presumably the numbers support someone hunting with that tag.

Should the state NOT collect the revenue for selling leftover tags? What difference does it make who buys the tag?
You make valid points.

My opinion is just that if someone doesn't want that tag, why not just let it be one more that lives to help bolster the population a little, we all know they could use some help for the most part.

Nobody NEEDS to shoot 2 elk or 2 deer or 2 whatever a year, nobody is gonna starve to death without it. Is it fun to get to hunt more with a 2nd tag? Sure. Is one a year enough? Yep.

Not a hill I'm willing to die on one way or the other really, I can see both sides. I just tend to think we don't need to be too greedy, we already got it pretty dang good as Idaho Residents as we can hunt or fish for something 365 days a year fairly easily if we wanted.

87TT

WKR
If they don't sell the tags, then they will have to raise the prices on all the tags to make up the difference.

Beendare

WKR
I think this falls under the old saying about keeping everyone happy all the time....that ain't going to happen.

We are planning our move to ID...so I really don't care either way.

pugwylde

FNG
You make valid points.

My opinion is just that if someone doesn't want that tag, why not just let it be one more that lives to help bolster the population a little, we all know they could use some help for the most part.

Nobody NEEDS to shoot 2 elk or 2 deer or 2 whatever a year, nobody is gonna starve to death without it. Is it fun to get to hunt more with a 2nd tag? Sure. Is one a year enough? Yep.

Not a hill I'm willing to die on one way or the other really, I can see both sides. I just tend to think we don't need to be too greedy, we already got it pretty dang good as Idaho Residents as we can hunt or fish for something 365 days a year fairly easily if we wanted.
As someone that picks up an archery elk tag every year, the option to pick up a second tag when the elk don't play nice is kind of alluring. I've never done it, but when you get dialed in right as your season comes to an end with your tag unfilled, that second tag might be the difference between tenderloins and tag soup.

Reactions: TVW