Idaho Senate Passes Bill to kill 90% of state wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpickop

FNG

Terrible that they are incapable of finding any other solution... control of wolf conservation was transferred to states a few years ago.

I would rather keep more of these large predators around that we fought so hard to bring out of the endangered species list.

WRO

WKR

Terrible that they are incapable of finding any other solution... control of wolf conservation was transferred to states a few years ago.

I would rather keep more of these large predators around that we fought so hard to bring out of the endangered species list.
Please stay the **** in California and out of Idaho, nothing but racists, clan meetings, covid, and potatoes here. Tell all your friends too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
"Idaho’s Wolf Conservation and Management plan calls for the state to maintain a wolf population of at least 150 wolves. At last count, Mr. Harris said, 1,556 wolves were roaming the state."
From YOUR article.
How come it's conservation when you want to force an unlimited number of apex predators on us but when we try to manage them, it's not conservation? We didn't ask for them in the first place. Now on to the Grizzly bears. I spoke with a warden the other day and they have sightings down near Grangeville now.

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
"Idaho’s Wolf Conservation and Management plan calls for the state to maintain a wolf population of at least 150 wolves. At last count, Mr. Harris said, 1,556 wolves were roaming the state."
From YOUR article.
How come it's conservation when you want to force an unlimited number of apex predators on us but when we try to manage them, it's not conservation? We didn't ask for them in the first place. Now on to the Grizzly bears. I spoke with a warden the other day and they have sightings down near Grangeville now.
I know, when I said that I meant that it seems like too small of a number. 150 of anything is a small number for an entire state. If they can maintain a healthy population free of genetic defects with that amount of wolves then maybe that is an okay number to maintain. But it seems like a ridiculously small number.

Anecdotal wolf sittings by residents aren't a significant indicator of anything. They roam and it's not like they will always be out of sight of humans.

Wolves have recently grown to this population also (last few years). So, maybe the undgulate population just needs time to adjust to this newish predator if what we want is to have even larger herd sizes.

Okay I'd like to start by saying I'm uneducated in this subject and I don't live near any wolves nor do I know anyone personally who does. But I am also curious where this antiwolf sentiment comes from that I see so often on this forum.

I am in no way for saving all the wolves as I understand they encroach on farmland/cattle ranches, but I also don't see why people want to kill them all? I kind of agree with Jpickop in that 150 seems like a really low number for the amount of public land in Idaho. What is this number based on?

A small anecdotal thing, but I was in the White Clouds Wilderness Area in Idaho last November for 1.5 weeks in the backcountry (about 5 miles from the road) hunting elk and I did not see/hear any wolves. I obviously know that does not represent the whole state, but just sharing the information I have currently.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just looking for someone to explain this to me.

150 in an entire state?... Idaho has 86,000 square miles...
So what would be a more suitable population, and based on what?

And how to manage them at that number? Some states have already been very aggressive with this and made very little difference.

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
Okay I'd like to start by saying I'm uneducated in this subject and I don't live near any wolves nor do I know anyone personally who does. But I am also curious where this antiwolf sentiment comes from that I see so often on this forum.

I am in no way for saving all the wolves as I understand they encroach on farmland/cattle ranches, but I also don't see why people want to kill them all? I kind of agree with Jpickop in that 150 seems like a really low number for the amount of public land in Idaho. What is this number based on?

A small anecdotal thing, but I was in the White Clouds Wilderness Area in Idaho last November for 1.5 weeks in the backcountry (about 5 miles from the road) hunting elk and I did not see/hear any wolves. I obviously know that does not represent the whole state, but just sharing the information I have currently.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just looking for someone to explain this to me.
Thanks for wording this because this is basically where I'm at also. It seems to me that keeping say 800 wolves is not enough to have a truly significant impact on elk and deer herds. And if that has been the case recently, then it seems like maybe the behaviour of the elk and deer herds just haven't had time to adjust to the addition of a predator that was until recently endangered.

Maybe I'm wrong, but thought it would be a good discussion for a conservation forum since these wolves used to be endangered.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Did you see or hear an elk?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG

Well I think that what 1 person sees or hears is always anecdotal, but some people have used the reverse argument, i.e. "my buddy saw a wolf where he hasn't seen one before...". So, I think black dawg was just responding to that.

204guy

WKR
Awesome emotional thread title.

For an alternative and just as accurate try: "Idaho Senate passes bill to control wolf population at number agreed upon 25 years ago."

I agree this appears radical but it's to be expected when the ESA has been weaponized. You're going to get these radical swings.

Yes I saw 3 herds of elk (each with about 60 head) and a bunch of mule deer. I was able to fill my cow tag from one of those herds. But this is also anecdotal and so I don't know if the elk/deer numbers are dropping across the state. This was also my first time in Idaho and so I don't have any frame of reference about what things looked like before wolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.