Idaho Spring Bear

DJR918

FNG
The higher population aspect of the reduced prices units makes sense, but in reality I don’t think that’s entirely it. Two years ago me and a buddy went and were hunting in one of the reduced price units. Didn’t see any sign or any bears for 5 days even though we were a long ways off the beaten path. Ran into a couple locals and they said the bear numbers in that area were really low and gave us another spot to try a few hours away (in a full price unit). Ended up having a great hunt in the new spot. I talked to a biologist from the area a year later and they said it deals more with population objectives, how the bear population affects other animals, and hunter numbers than it does purely bear numbers. Moral of my story would be not to limit yourself with a reduced price tag. I’m glad we bought full price when we went two years ago so we were able to hunt a different area when the first didn’t work out.

The higher population aspect of the reduced prices units makes sense, but in reality I don’t think that’s entirely it. Two years ago me and a buddy went and were hunting in one of the reduced price units. Didn’t see any sign or any bears for 5 days even though we were a long ways off the beaten path. Ran into a couple locals and they said the bear numbers in that area were really low and gave us another spot to try a few hours away (in a full price unit). Ended up having a great hunt in the new spot. I talked to a biologist from the area a year later and they said it deals more with population objectives, how the bear population affects other animals, and hunter numbers than it does purely bear numbers. Moral of my story would be not to limit yourself with a reduced price tag. I’m glad we bought full price when we went two years ago so we were able to hunt a different area when the first didn’t work out.
Did you tag out in the new spot you went to?

Awesome! What elevation?
West Aspect, 2000 feet. 6C Idaho.

We’re a month earlier from last IMO regarding access. I looked back at last years pictures on my phone compared to this weekend and at this time last year, there was 4+ feet of snow at around 3k’. This year 1.5’ max. This exact area where this picture was taken wasn’t this snow free until April of 2023.

I was able to drive quite a ways yesterday and today whereas in a given March would have been unable to drive that distance.

Doubt our reservoir will be full more than a week or two this year given our current state of snow pack.

West Aspect, 2000 feet. 6C Idaho.

We’re a month earlier from last IMO regarding access. I looked back at last years pictures on my phone compared to this weekend and at this time last year, there was 4+ feet of snow at around 3k’. This year 1.5’ max. This exact area where this picture was taken wasn’t this snow free until April of 2023.

I was able to drive quite a ways yesterday and today whereas in a given March would have been unable to drive that distance.

Doubt our reservoir will be full more than a week or two this year given our current state of snow pack.
Thank you!

Fuenstock

FNG
Looking to hunt spring bear in Idaho for the first time…

My head is spinning on if I should get a reduced price tag or go with the regular tag.
I have been looking into 20 and 20a, but seems like without a jet boat or chartering a flight, The Salmon poses as a big obstacle that is not likely doable in May? I’m probably not in a situation to pay for a plane or boat ride.

So looking at options, for the regular tags with better access also, like 39, 33, 43 but I’m a complete rookie when it comes to this hunt. A backpack hunt for 5-7 days in some cool country is what I’m after. I know I’m over thinking it all but any input would be great!

I live in unit 49 and Im in unit 43 often.
Last year spring bear access into 43 was tough.
Deep snow, avalanches, washed out bridges.
Don’t think it will be as bad this year, but we have also gotten a lot of late snow.
We just had one of the biggest storms of the winter last week.
I usually enter 43 from warm springs rd in ketchem,
Last year the bridge was out near Rooks camp and was impassable by vehicle all of spring bear.

DJR918

FNG
I live in unit 49 and Im unit 43 often.
Last year spring bear access into 49 was tough.
Deep snow, avalanches, washed out bridges.
Don’t think it will be as bad this year, but we have also gotten a lot of late snow.
We just had one of the biggest storms of the winter last week.
I usually enter 43 from warm springs rd in ketchem,
Last year the bridge was out near Rooks camp and was impassable by vehicle all of spring bear.
Good info. Thanks. Were you successful last season? Assuming you hunted

Fuenstock

FNG
Good info. Thanks. Were you successful last season? Assuming you hunted

I was not successful but I also didn’t put in a lot of effort due to just being to busy.
I did see a handful of bears, either to small or to far.
Seen the nicest cinnamon bear I’ve have ever seen!
Beautiful coat!
The problem was it was in access yes property that doesn’t allow for predator hunting.

DJR918

FNG
I was not successful but I also didn’t put in a lot of effort due to just being to busy.
I did see a handful of bears, either to small or to far.
Seen the nicest cinnamon bear I’ve have ever seen!
Beautiful coat!
The problem was it was in access yes property that doesn’t allow for predator hunting.
Gotcha. I will need to study up on some Idaho access laws I guess!

Gotcha. I will need to study up on some Idaho access laws I guess!
If you go the IFG website and click on the access yes link , you can study each owner/parcel’s rules and limitations. Each owner has different stipulations.

DJR918

FNG
If you go the IFG website and click on the access yes link , you can study each owner/parcel’s rules and limitations. Each owner has different stipulations.
Ok thank you.
Obviously snow conditions and access play a huge role, but that aside, what’s your favorite date range to hunt bears? Or does it matter as much as long as there’s access?

Ok thank you.
Obviously snow conditions and access play a huge role, but that aside, what’s your favorite date range to hunt bears? Or does it matter as much as long as there’s access?
Myself, I like earlier. From the last 2 weeks of April, to the middle of May. Even though the access is harder, it also kind of acts as a corral. I start losing interest in the middle of May. Too many other things going on.

DJR918

FNG
Myself, I like earlier. From the last 2 weeks of April, to the middle of May. Even though the access is harder, it also kind of acts as a corral. I start losing interest in the middle of May. Too many other things going on.
Gotcha. Thanks 👍🏻

MHWASH

WKR
High Quality made in Japan scope in excellent condition. Bought a gun with this on but have another scope for it. 1 inch. Retailed for $499. $150 tyd

Same for me.

DKE34

FNG
Hi all. Appreciate the wealth of information in this thread.

Question for anyone with baiting experience. Is it worth it to attempt to set up a bait site or two for an 8-10 day trip? In your experience how long does it take for bears to hit up a bait site assuming there's bears in the area and the bait is well done.

Thanks for any insight!