Idaho Spring Bear

Hello all, Just wanted to provide this link for forest rd info. Has all the road use and permitted use times.
Thanks for the link! Just an FYI for those needing this kind of info, I would strongly suggest you call the Ranger Station in the area you intend to hunt. Some Forests and Ranger Districts are severely understaffed, and what is found online does not always reflect what you will find when you actually get to the road or trail in question. I've encountered several roads and trails this spring that were either closed or opened contrary to online travel plan maps and such. There have also been situations where a trail had been closed for some reason, like a slide, years ago... but the closure was forgotten about and not officially rescinded, even though the reason for the closure had long since been cleared. Best to clear it up with the District Ranger before you go.

Thanks for the link! Just an FYI for those needing this kind of info, I would strongly suggest you call the Ranger Station in the area you intend to hunt. Some Forests and Ranger Districts are severely understaffed, and what is found online does not always reflect what you will find when you actually get to the road or trail in question. I've encountered several roads and trails this spring that were either closed or opened contrary to online travel plan maps and such. There have also been situations where a trail had been closed for some reason, like a slide, years ago... but the closure was forgotten about and not officially rescinded, even though the reason for the closure had long since been cleared. Best to clear it up with the District Ranger before you go.
Or call the local ranger station to ask if they know if a certain road is even passable instead of driving the 6 hours to find out the hard way it isnt...

Fun fact. I understand why people use ATVs or UTVs for traveling in the woods vs a longbed quadcab ford f250.

My son (14) took his first ever bear today. A spot-n-stalk Idaho,chocolate colored, boar. 400 yards, 1 shot with the uberlite 6Creed. White dot on the bear's shoulder in the second pic is actually the bullet a millisecond before impact, caught on the phoneskope. He has put on the miles. This was his 3rd season hunting bears. 7 or 8 days this season, 6 or 7 last year, and 5 or 6 the year before. Almost had a shot 2 weeks ago, but the clock ran out before the bear cleared the timber for a clean shot.

Awesome!!! That’s a heck of an accomplishment. Hats off for getting him in the woods and into hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little late but I hunted the weekend of april 27 and saw a total of 3 bears. Had a shot opportunity on a medium color phase at 500 but opted to get closer. In the process I managed to roll a rock and he spooked. My fault, I was confident I knew where he was bedded and should have positioned myself closer for when he got up but I was lazy and chose to not climb down the ridge to where I should have been.

Haven't been able to get back out but since but next weekend I should be back in there. Hopefully he is still hanging close by but I doubt I will be that lucky.

Would love to take a week off work and hunt but other obligations did not allow for it this year. Something special and vastly different about being in the mountains in the spring time as compared to the fall.

A little late but I hunted the weekend of april 27 and saw a total of 3 bears. Had a shot opportunity on a medium color phase at 500 but opted to get closer. In the process I managed to roll a rock and he spooked. My fault, I was confident I knew where he was bedded and should have positioned myself closer for when he got up but I was lazy and chose to not climb down the ridge to where I should have been.

Haven't been able to get back out but since but next weekend I should be back in there. Hopefully he is still hanging close by but I doubt I will be that lucky.

Would love to take a week off work and hunt but other obligations did not allow for it this year. Something special and vastly different about being in the mountains in the spring time as compared to the fall.
Agreed man. Coming from the midwest, which is special in its own way, the springtime in the mountains is quickly becoming my favorite time to be there. So jealous of the residents.

Back