Idaho Unit 18 Late Mule Deer Hunt

djw7117

WKR
This tag looks interesting as this country looks extremely rugged. Does anyone have any experience over in unit 18 during the rifle deer tag mid/late November? Noticed that the harvest statistics have crept down over the last couple years as well as the number of tags. Kind of looking to see some thoughts on the later hunt if anyone has any experience? Open to PMs as well.

I researched it and talked to bios and previous tag holders. Pretty average deer numbers for Idaho and trending down in recent years. The guys who drew were hoping for deer in the 170ish class and had a hard time doing so and both shot smaller four points. There’s one guy on here who really knows the area, we’ll see if he chimes in.

OP
D

djw7117

WKR
Thank you for the response on this. Spent lots of time in 22 and have seen some really good deer over there, but figured this should have some good ones too. Looks like an awesome tough hunt

It's like most of the controlled hunts in Idaho, a chance of a good deer and less pressure than the general tags. Some of the terrain is absolutely brutal so be prepared to work your butt off if you draw . The genetics aren't the best but a nice buck is certainly possible.

Gobbler36

WKR
Just had the earlier tag this past fall, the country is unforgiving but a blast to be in, that said youd be better off applying elsewhere imo, i took in llamas for 6 days and got way in and into some nasty stuff on the snake river side and never found a descent 4 point buck. IN the time i was in the unit i only saw one good four point and it was at night driving one of the roads back to town, went and hunted that area and never could find him.

Unit 18 is an odd unit. It has been a controlled hunt only for at least 30 years. It has everything from prime winter ground to alpine summer ground. You would think that B+C bucks would be in every drainage. For some reason, the genetics just aren't there. The harvest statistics have been trending down and they got hit pretty hard in '16-'17 with winter mortality. It's a small unit in size, but huge in country. The late tag is a gamble with weather. It isn't uncommon for the top half of the southern portion to be snowed out in mid November. It is a fun hunt and the scenery is incredible.

Unit 18 is an odd unit. It has been a controlled hunt only for at least 30 years. It has everything from prime winter ground to alpine summer ground. You would think that B+C bucks would be in every drainage. For some reason, the genetics just aren't there. The harvest statistics have been trending down and they got hit pretty hard in '16-'17 with winter mortality. It's a small unit in size, but huge in country. The late tag is a gamble with weather. It isn't uncommon for the top half of the southern portion to be snowed out in mid November. It is a fun hunt and the scenery is incredible.

Very well said and you have impressive knowledge of that area, I’ve always enjoyed taking with you. I agree it’s weird that it doesn’t produce good deer like units directly above and below it. There are pretty famous units around it with very little top end deer that come out of 18. I don’t think the higher elevation habitat is actually as good as you might think. There certainly are good bulls that come out of 18 though.

The guys I talked to eventually settled on 150” type bucks after looking over lots of country and lots of deer.

Very well said and you have impressive knowledge of that area, I’ve always enjoyed taking with you. I agree it’s weird that it doesn’t produce good deer like units directly above and below it. There are pretty famous units around it with very little top end deer that come out of 18. I don’t think the higher elevation habitat is actually as good as you might think. There certainly are good bulls that come out of 18 though.

The guys I talked to eventually settled on 150” type bucks after looking over lots of country and lots of deer.
Thanks Hiker! I appreciate the dialogue as well.

Anybody have more insight on this area? Sounds like I’ll be there for the late season hunt with my cousin. I’ve spent a week in unit 23 with success on the salmon side but have never heard much on 18.

Huntnnw

WKR
I have spent quite abit of time in that unit with deer tags and elk tags. This unit got hit hard in 16,17 winter. Id venture to say from 8 years ago to 2018 that well over half the deer were killed. Areas that had tons of deer were almost void. I talked to a guy on horses one day thats been hunting it for over 40 years. Prior to it going to draw it had some very big bucks. This old timer killed 5 bucks in the wilderness area over 200" biggest being 244" with 3 droppers. I bought a wall tent off a older gentleman that had killed some awesome bucks in there back in the day. Showed me pics on his wall. I was there in 2012 when a 204" buck was killed. I know of several 180-190" bucks taken over the years, but the last few years its been slim pickens. I had the tag in 17 and it was almost depressing to see the deer numbers.

Have good chains as those roads can be crappy. My last hunt I had chains on for 7 days straight

Last edited:
Find the guy with the name of the area in his handle. Not going to call him out further.

From what I’ve gathered talking to guys who’ve been in there I’d shoot the first pretty decent 4 point you see.