Idaho unit 39 first time hunting the west

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Trekking poles and a good way to strap your rifle to your pack for the hikes in and hopefully the pack out. And don’t forget your tags!
Definitely second the trekking poles and way to carry your rifle are a necessity. Depending where you’re hunting it can get real steep.

OP
BadgerTac

BadgerTac

FNG
I’m going to add trekking poles to my list. I’ll have a sling for my rifle, and also my frame pack has a rifle scabbard to throw in there as well

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah we will have tons of water at camp. But I was thinking I’d get a life straw. Or something along those lines just in case.
For the amount of hiking you will need to do to increase your success odds, you'll need much more water/day than I would want to start the day carrying, and I would not want to depend on a life straw for refills. I recommend a real filter system, and my preference is to splice a sawyer filter inline with a big zip bladder so you can dip and go.

OP
BadgerTac

BadgerTac

FNG
For the amount of hiking you will need to do to increase your success odds, you'll need much more water/day than I would want to start the day carrying, and I would not want to depend on a life straw for refills. I recommend a real filter system, and my preference is to splice a sawyer filter inline with a big zip bladder so you can dip and go.
10-4 I’ll add that to the list

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Killed some decent bucks in 39 ,haven’t been back since ‘19 and it was tough , but we still found bucks , definitely just have to work harder than the last guy, just keep moving , they’re there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah we will have tons of water at camp. But I was thinking I’d get a life straw. Or something along those lines just in case.
Water at camp means nothing if you need water on the mountain. Sawyer Squeeze or similar will do you a lot better than a life straw

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rocky723

FNG
A glassing pad to sit on for those long glassing sessions is one of the best things I have ever added to my gear list. Gets your butt off of that cold ground and gives you some cushion. Can also use it as a pillow at night if you need it. It doesn't really matter if you go with a foam one or inflatable but I personally have an inflatable one so that i can roll it up to practically nothing and just shove it in my pack when I'm done with it.