Idaho unit 43

Mdhunter

FNG
Anybody have any info on this unit. I'm in the process of planning a muley trip to idaho most likely to this unit and was wondering if anyone had any in of on this unit. Not specifics or honey holes just expectation, terrain, population and so on. Just trying to get an idea. I live in california and this will be my first muley hunt. I've done all the internet scouting I can and was just looking for some first hand info if anybody has any..

I'm new to the forum and so far I have learned a lot from you guys and gals. I'm new to hunting for Muleys NAND elk but not new to deer hunting. I'm 23 and have been hunting my whole life and not afraid to work for an animal. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Get a dirt bike and use the HUGE trail system to your advantage.

OR

Completely avoid the areas with trails and hunt on foot.

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/trails/

Fun area, beautiful, just seems to be quite a few hunters. If you have any specific questions I may be able to help you out.

Have you hunted here before? What should I expect to see as far as deer. Opportunity? Am I shooting my self in the foot by choosing this area

I have hunted it before, quite a bit actually, for elk and deer along with shed hunting, camping, hiking, dirt biking, archery shoots, cat hunting, bear hunting firewood splitting, fishing, rafting, etc :)

I know folks who kill great deer in it nearly every year during the rifle season. I also know folks who say there are no deer, then again they only road hunt and stick to the ATV trails. I know of other folks who hunt it very hard and can't pull it together on an animal for whatever reason.

It's a fun unit, steep and a dirt bike is litterally the best way to get around and get away from everyone else.

We'll good thing I own acouple dirt bikes thanks for the info sounds like you might have spent a little time in there.. It's nice to finally talk to someone that hasn't bee in scared away by other people hunting it. I just want to see deer. I'm not afraid to work. I'm planning on going up there at least 2 days before the season to get the lay of the land. And do some last minute scouting since I won't be able to get there before the season. I've found one place that looks good to me on google earth but it's hard to say what it will hold... I'm guessing the deer will be high and away from roads..

Unit 39 and 43 have a strong population of Deer and these are the zones that I would recommend to nonresidents that are after just Deer. You will get the most bang for your buck hunting these zones, but the age class is a little lower. The first thing you need to do is get the forest service map for the Boise National Forest and study the trail restrictions. Key in on the trails that are closed to ATV. During the season most of the trails are closed anyway but it's too late by then, the Bucks are already pushed out of the area. Also not everyone follows the rules, especially during the general rifle season in those units for some reason.
If you put in a good effort in an uphill direction you will probably see deer. To see Bucks glassing the first hour of daylight is key. I would highly recommend hiking up a mountain and spending the night on top and glassing from there that evening and the following morning. If you don't see anything try a different mountain. Early October can be cold at night and in the morning and there can be snow on the ground up high already as well. The days are usually nice and sometimes even hot.

Thanks for the advice rizzy. I'd rather come into my first hunt in idaho with realistic expectations rather then trophy hunting and being disappointed. I got a couple ridges picked out from google earth to start off with cuz that's about all the scouting I can do from california . I know it's 9 or so months away but I can't stop thinking about it. I'd rather be over prepared then under prepared

Sounds like you are doing it right. There are some nice deer in 43. If you get off the roads and put in the work you should at least get an opportunity. I'm about 40 minutes from Trappers and spend a lot of time up there. For a first Idaho deer hunt you should get what you expect, bring a fly rod and a camera and you won't be dissappointed.

Unit 43 seems to be a very popular unit for non-residents. Any general season unit is more than likely gonna be packed with people but as most said alot of them are road hunters. I know a couple guys that get good bucks out of there almost annually. You get out of it what you put into it, hope you have a good hunt!

I would say the Deer do during a good October storm, but the older Bucks don't ;)
I've scouted 43, there seemed to be plenty of canyon bottoms that would be below the snowline during fall on most years.

View attachment 13498 I had some success this past year. Not very big but I'm happy with him and he put meat in the freezer. I also hunted b zone last year but all I turned up was 4 spikes and a handful of does.

Can't see the pic, but the same effort that you put into that hunt will probably get you results in 39 or 43. Keep it fun and enjoy the country :)

Unit 43 and 39 both hold good amounts of deer but also get a lot of pressure. I think mostly because its so close to the biggest population base (Boise). Both of these units have also been hit hard by wildfires in the past couple of years, especially 39. I don't know where you can find maps of these past fires but it may be something to look into before you have a spot picked out.

I got a couple ridges picked out from google earth to start off with cuz that's about all the scouting I can do from california
and that might be enough considering you already have realistic goals.
These guys are giving you good advice. Give it a few seasons up there. I don't think you'll be disappointed and it's as good as any OTC unit in Idaho. Once you get in a unit, meet a few people,spend some time, it really starts to come together. Good luck.

Back