Idaho Wolves, the story no one is talking about.

N.ID7803

WKR
Im surprised no one has even mentioned this on here.

This is a huge blow to trapping and game management in Idaho. If you have it in you please join The Foundation for Wildlife Management (F4WM) and Idaho Trappers Association. They are going to have a battle on their hands. Get involved folks.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
This is insane. I would love to know how many bears are actually caught in wolf traps. And of those bears how many are killed. Probably not many.

PNWGATOR

WKR

tuffcity

WKR
Ridiculous. There isn't wolf specific foot hold out there that will hold a pissed grizzly. I've had them stick their paws in a coni 330 and I doubt it did more than really annoy them. As far as snaring goes, a breakaway fixs that problem. We use them all the time to avoid incidental caribou or moose hang ups.

This is a mess.

I honestly would like to see Idaho push back HARD on this.

There is zero evidence “legal” foothold traps could ever endanger any grizzly bear.

I think this is just the beginning on where they want to go with this…….wait til they push the Wolverine 🤮🤮 And the scariest part about the Wolverine, they don’t hibernate.

Bluumoon

WKR
This is a mess.

There is zero evidence “legal” foothold traps could ever endanger any grizzly bear.

I think this is just the beginning on where they want to go with this…….wait til they push the Wolverine 🤮🤮 And the scariest part about the Wolverine, they don’t hibernate.
Suddenly CO reintroducing wolverines makes more sense

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
This is insane. I would love to know how many bears are actually caught in wolf traps. And of those bears how many are killed. Probably not many.
The F&G Director says zero.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider

MNGrouser

FNG
This is a mess.

Like how they use the presence of lynx to attempt to seriously curtail trapping in Minnesota.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Anti’s obviously have very deep pockets. Just as you enter Helena from the west there are two different billboards denouncing trapping and one calling for the relisting of wolves.

On a more positive note there is one billboard advocating for the management of wolves courtesy of f4wm.

On another positive not, I did see on the national news about a month ago that there was an effort to thwart the federal judge shopping that is so rampant in the arena of wildlife (and obviously other issues)

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-w...ve-bolster-fairness-addressing-judge-shopping

It is a bad precedent and one that will be used in conjunction with the wolverine ESA listing to disrupt even more trapping and hunting opportunities in the future.

The two grizzlies that were killed as a result of wolf trapping were injured by illegally set snares that did not have breakaways as required by law. Punish the law breaker and get the word out in newspapers and other media that illegal trapping sets will be punished. Sloppy trappers don't help our cause.

I hope IDFG is able to successfully fight this.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Some folks accurately claimed that the new Wolf hunting & trapping regulations would bring about lawsuits like this.

They were flamed by the crowd that thought for some reason the new regulations would magically lead to a bunch more wolves getting killed every year.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
According to the reply from the IDFG Director, none. His response is on their home page.