Idaho?

Blair

FNG
I'm planning a mule deer hunt in Idaho and was wondering what unit would be good for a first time backpack hunt/hike?

I'm planning a mule deer hunt in Idaho and was wondering what unit would be good for a first time backpack hunt/hike?
Do you have any more specifics? Are you looking for alpine/ high mountain, desert, or just off the regular beaten path? What’s your expectations? Experienced hunter or new to the game?

OP
B

Blair

FNG
Do you have any more specifics? Are you looking for alpine/ high mountain, desert, or just off the regular beaten path? What’s your expectations? Experienced hunter or new to the game?
High mountain and no experience.

OP
B

Blair

FNG
None of them. They're all ruined because yuppies keep asking stupid questions on the internet, and morons keep answering them.
Go there and figure it out, stop looking for handouts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

High mountain and no experience.
And I'm not asking for a handout just never been in any mountains before thanks for the help
There is a lot to unpack. What is your expected year to hunt?
I understand that. I plan on hunting next year. I've been looking at base map alot and trying to figure out what unit that isn't too dense (to glass) and it doesn't have to be easy to access. I have a few in mind tho and don't have a ton of time to travel 24 hours to scout but I'd love to just visit and scout.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you should take a week long summer trip out here and rent a vehicle, drive the state, lay your eyes on the land, and see what intrigues you. Take a drive from Boise to Weiser to McCall to Stanley to Ellis to Howe to Arco to Picabo to Boise and then you will know what you are dealing with.

another idea is check out the harvest reports on the website and pick the highest success rate and just go for it.
Generally north of the Salmon River is thicker timber, between Salmon river and snake river is steep and mixed sage/timber, and south of snake river is more gradual slope and open. Generally.

OP
B

Blair

FNG
Maybe you should take a week long summer trip out here and rent a vehicle, drive the state, lay your eyes on the land, and see what intrigues you. Take a drive from Boise to Weiser to McCall to Stanley to Ellis to Howe to Arco to Picabo to Boise and then you will know what you are dealing with.

another idea is check out the harvest reports on the website and pick the highest success rate and just go for it.
Generally north of the Salmon River is thicker timber, between Salmon river and snake river is steep and mixed sage/timber, and south of snake river is more gradual slope and open. Generally.
Yeah honestly probably a good idea to just get a feel of the country and thank you for the info.

Downthepipe gave you some great advice. It’s hard to imagine how gnarly parts of Idaho are until you’ve been here. Google Earth doesn’t do it any justice. High Mtn hunts are hard for the most experienced hunter. Weather and terrain are extremely unpredictable and unforgiving. Make your self home on this site and start reading threads with Frank Church or Selway in them. There is tons of information in them. Feel free to message me anytime.

OP
B

Blair

FNG
Downthepipe gave you some great advice. It’s hard to imagine how gnarly parts of Idaho are until you’ve been here. Google Earth doesn’t do it any justice. High Mtn hunts are hard for the most experienced hunter. Weather and terrain are extremely unpredictable and unforgiving. Make your self home on this site and start reading threads with Frank Church or Selway in them. There is tons of information in them. Feel free to message me anytime.
Yeah im probably biting off more than I can chew coming from Iowa. I'll plan a scouting trip and thanks for the advice

sneaky

"DADDY"
You gotta start somewhere. Hardest part will be getting a tag when they go on sale. This country can be unforgiving if you aren't prepared for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah im probably biting off more than I can chew coming from Iowa. I'll plan a scouting trip and thanks for the advice

Nah. Not at all. Ya just have to do some research and be smart so you don't end up getting yourself killed or having to call SAR.

I recommend south central and southeast. The mountains aren't as steep as north and central Idaho, they're more open for glassing, and they're still beautiful. No clue on deer quality though!

Just find the absolute steepest hill you can in Iowa and go up and down it for 1-2 hours multiple times a week. Then do that with a 50lb pack for awhile. Find some trails to go running on to get your ankles strengthened... The more rocky, rooty, and terrible to run on the better. It will help you learn balance on uneven and sidehill type terrain.

Then learn about mountain weather - not too complicated.

Then make sure you don't spend too much money on gear because everyone here loves custom this and custom that. A couple of things you definitely want to have are good wool socks, boots or shoes that you know will treat your feet well (doesn't have e to be fancy... I wear crappy Salomon $110 lowcut hiking shoes because they're comfy and give me good ground feel. I just have to switch to boots when I know there's going to be lot's of high water crossing), a tent that doesn't weigh a million pounds and won't fall over in high wind, a decent sleeping bag and pad, and a decent down jacket. And maybe some gaiters if you're a pansy. I wear gaiters.

And learn about thermals vs prevailing wind

PNWGATOR

WKR
Buy Robby Denning’s book and listen to every podcast he’s done. Reevaluate your decision to come to Idaho from Iowa. You’re gonna drive through some great States to get here from there. There may be opportunities to still purchase a bonus point in one of those states this year for next year’s drawing. If you’re set on Idaho there is a lot of information on the idfg web site regarding harvest information. Pour over this forum and others for intel, but remember, it’s more about the how vs the where.

OP
B

Blair

FNG
Nah. Not at all. Ya just have to do some research and be smart so you don't end up getting yourself killed or having to call SAR.

I recommend south central and southeast. The mountains aren't as steep as north and central Idaho, they're more open for glassing, and they're still beautiful. No clue on deer quality though!

Just find the absolute steepest hill you can in Iowa and go up and down it for 1-2 hours multiple times a week. Then do that with a 50lb pack for awhile. Find some trails to go running on to get your ankles strengthened... The more rocky, rooty, and terrible to run on the better. It will help you learn balance on uneven and sidehill type terrain.

Then learn about mountain weather - not too complicated.

Then make sure you don't spend too much money on gear because everyone here loves custom this and custom that. A couple of things you definitely want to have are good wool socks, boots or shoes that you know will treat your feet well (doesn't have e to be fancy... I wear crappy Salomon $110 lowcut hiking shoes because they're comfy and give me good ground feel. I just have to switch to boots when I know there's going to be lot's of high water crossing), a tent that doesn't weigh a million pounds and won't fall over in high wind, a decent sleeping bag and pad, and a decent down jacket. And maybe some gaiters if you're a pansy. I wear gaiters.

And learn about thermals vs prevailing wind
Hey thanks this was alot of help.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
the frank definitely has the most potential for a rugged experience. the smokys and sawtooths nearby offer real backpacking as well. all however are not to be taken lightly and deserve preparation and respect. as far as deer quality the biggest deer on average are in the limited entry units like 52 and 44. that being said there are whoppers to be found in just about every unit that still has high quality habitat and uninhibited migration corridors. aka lots of units in idaho.

Brianb3

WKR
Bring some Binos on a simple over night solo into any mountainous area with the hopes of looking into the fringes for mule deer is a good start.

A lot to figure out but get the boot on for a small camping experience is a start

Be successful at that and grow from there. Add some pod casts

Learn to shoot
Learn to hunt
Learn to backpack/fitness to find deer.

In no particular order they’re all equally important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Dealing with surviving in the mountains and depending on what season you hunt, camping in bad and extreme cold is where I would start. Gotta learn to live in those conditions before learning to hunt it