Idaho

Hello all I am incredibly excited I drew an archery tag in Idaho! This is my first out of state draw and hunt. I have only hunted Antelope one time and that was back in 2005 when I was stationed at FT. Carson. I am getting a list of things I need to do or buy to cummins before I head out of state and a thought occurred to me. I do have one question.

I have read a ton of stories of people with California plates having their vehicles vandalized when they go to free states.....lol. Should I be worried or do you think the Disabled Veteran plates will give me a pass...lol it's gonna be a tough sale to convince the wife I need a diamondback cover for this hunt.

Back to the hunt. If any of you folks have any tips or tricks for archery hunting Pronghorn in Idaho or have drawn a similar tag and would like to link up please send a pm. I like forward to any and all responses!

Mods if this thread is in the wrong spot I apologize.

Have a great 4th everyone don't drink and drive! Stay safe Russ

TheTone

WKR
From my experience I’m not sure any areas are all that different from a buck size perspective more just abundance of animals. I know some areas got hit by winter this year

I’ve had a couple conflicts with pronghorn where other people kinda seemed to actually try and mess up stalks or be really visible to the pronghorn I was trying at. Also there was plenty of older info with regards to people messing with waterholes that blinds were placed at; mainly potential that people were bleaching the water. It’s one of the reason archery pronghorn tags went from over the counter to draw

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
TBH, Idaho has some of the nicest people in general. However, they hate out of staters. I personally haven't heard of anything happening to someone but I was just at a gas station the other day when a group of young kids began yelling at a different guy filling up to go back to California because of his plates.

If you're in a remote enough area you're probably fine. But, most of Idahos pronghorn hunts I've looked at kind of push all the vehicle hunters to certain spots.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
You will get a free pass with the disabled veteran plates. Just follow the normal vehicle ethics and you’ll be fine (park all the way off the road, don’t encroach on other hunters, etc). The biggest issue with archery antelope hunting, going back to ethics, is people feel they own a water hole just by throwing a blind up a few days or the night before. It’s such a dilemma to deal with that for me it makes it not even fun - specifically if you beat someone to a hole in the morning, who owns the spot? It’s a nightmare….

OP
russnutt209
You will get a free pass with the disabled veteran plates. Just follow the normal vehicle ethics and you’ll be fine (park all the way off the road, don’t encroach on other hunters, etc). The biggest issue with archery antelope hunting, going back to ethics, is people feel they own a water hole just by throwing a blind up a few days or the night before. It’s such a dilemma to deal with that for me it makes it not even fun - specifically if you beat someone to a hole in the morning, who owns the spot? It’s a nightmare….
Man that sounds like when guys put duck blinds on the delta out here by where I live. Well that doesn't seem fun at all. If get to within 100 yards of an animal im. Gonna call it a success. I'm just excited to finally get out of state.

OP
russnutt209
TBH, Idaho has some of the nicest people in general. However, they hate out of staters. I personally haven't heard of anything happening to someone but I was just at a gas station the other day when a group of young kids began yelling at a different guy filling up to go back to California because of his plates.

If you're in a remote enough area you're probably fine. But, most of Idahos pronghorn hunts I've looked at kind of push all the vehicle hunters to certain spots.
That's fine I'll just yell back at them lol. The unit I drew doesn't seem very remote at all.

OP
russnutt209
From my experience I’m not sure any areas are all that different from a buck size perspective more just abundance of animals. I know some areas got hit by winter this year

I’ve had a couple conflicts with pronghorn where other people kinda seemed to actually try and mess up stalks or be really visible to the pronghorn I was trying at. Also there was plenty of older info with regards to people messing with waterholes that blinds were placed at; mainly potential that people were bleaching the water. It’s one of the reason archery pronghorn tags went from over the counter to draw
They were putting bleach In the water!! That's crazy. I am not worried about taking just a buck I'll gladly take a doe.

TheTone

WKR
They were putting bleach In the water!! That's crazy. I am not worried about taking just a buck I'll gladly take a doe.
From what I remember people were finding empty bleach bottles around waterholes where they had blinds set up. I’m not sure whether the water was actually bleached or if the empty bottles were tossed out to make a person think it was. Regardless, crummy behavior and an explosion in tag numbers are why archery pronghorn hunts changed 15 or so years ago

BAKPAKR

WKR
From what I remember people were finding empty bleach bottles around waterholes where they had blinds set up. I’m not sure whether the water was actually bleached or if the empty bottles were tossed out to make a person think it was. Regardless, crummy behavior and an explosion in tag numbers are why archery pronghorn hunts changed 15 or so years ago
My only Idaho pronghorn hunt (archery) was in 1980. I was making a stalk on a monster buck when someone on the road saw what I was doing and started honking their horn. So much for the stalk. I will always remember that buck as his horns were so long he looked funny.

OP
russnutt209
I had sim
My only Idaho pronghorn hunt (archery) was in 1980. I was making a stalk on a monster buck when someone on the road saw what I was doing and started honking their horn. So much for the stalk. I will always remember that buck as his horns were so long he looked funny.
I had something similar happen a few years ago hunting blacktail on an army post out here in CA

If my plates said CA I wouldn't wanna leave me vehicle unattended all day in the middle of nowhere. The CA hate is real, I live in central ID and hear that kind of talk everytime CA gets brought up for any reason. People aren't gonna beat you up for no reason or anything, but a vehicle in bum **** BLM with CA plates could realistically get ****** with if it appears the occupant is out of sight. Probably wouldn't happen, but it certainly could.

OP
russnutt209
If my plates said CA I wouldn't wanna leave me vehicle unattended all day in the middle of nowhere. The CA hate is real, I live in central ID and hear that kind of talk everytime CA gets brought up for any reason. People aren't gonna beat you up for no reason or anything, but a vehicle in bum **** BLM with CA plates could realistically get ****** with if it appears the occupant is out of sight. Probably wouldn't happen, but it certainly could.
Damn it well hopefully the disabled veteran plates will give me a pass lol.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Damn it well hopefully the disabled veteran plates will give me a pass lol.

You'll be fine.. in college I hunted with a buddy from CA. His pickup was better for two of us to use but it had CA plates. We ran all over northern Idaho and never had an issue. Just don't park like an idiot at the trail heads or where ever else you end up parking.

Hello all I am incredibly excited I drew an archery tag in Idaho! This is my first out of state draw and hunt. I have only hunted Antelope one time and that was back in 2005 when I was stationed at FT. Carson. I am getting a list of things I need to do or buy to cummins before I head out of state and a thought occurred to me. I do have one question.

I have read a ton of stories of people with California plates having their vehicles vandalized when they go to free states.....lol. Should I be worried or do you think the Disabled Veteran plates will give me a pass...lol it's gonna be a tough sale to convince the wife I need a diamondback cover for this hunt.

Back to the hunt. If any of you folks have any tips or tricks for archery hunting Pronghorn in Idaho or have drawn a similar tag and would like to link up please send a pm. I like forward to any and all responses!

Mods if this thread is in the wrong spot I apologize.

Have a great 4th everyone don't drink and drive! Stay safe Russ
There are some real Azz Hats around I have heard of several rigs vandalized in different areas & Yes most were Cali or WA plates that were hit. Depending on what unit you drew the archery hunt can be a blast or a complete waste of time ! Most of the Owyhee units have limited waterholes & there are usually blinds stacked on top of blinds . I used to bow hunt lopes when it was an open season as soon as F&G made it draw only I stopped hunting them then they split the seasons in 1/2 making them a 2 week season .

OP
russnutt209
Well I'll be headed out to the unit I drew this Saturday. Gonna be out there Saturday-Wednesday. This being my first out of state hunt I'm not expecting anything except some sweet sunrises and sunsets. Getting within 100 yards of an antelope is a bonus. Hopefully I'll have figured some stuff out so when I get back out in September Ill have an idea of what I'm looking for. Good luck! Russ

Well I'll be headed out to the unit I drew this Saturday. Gonna be out there Saturday-Wednesday. This being my first out of state hunt I'm not expecting anything except some sweet sunrises and sunsets. Getting within 100 yards of an antelope is a bonus. Hopefully I'll have figured some stuff out so when I get back out in September Ill have an idea of what I'm looking for. Good luck! Russ
Have a great time !! If you drew 40 - 46 or 54 keep your eyes open for Rattlers !! Also it has been HOT & dry in Idaho the last month or so !! Water will be the #1 source to find like I said before dont be surprised to see blinds stacked up around any water holes

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
We’re supposed to be getting an inflow of rain starting Sunday. If you are alone make sure you make sound decisions when it comes to muddy / soupy roads. Good luck. I hope you have a great experience.

Rob5589

WKR
I've hunted ID for several years now without issue (knock on wood). Personally I'm more concerned with the CA meth heads messing with stuff.