Ideas to bring home a moose....

Boston1

FNG
I caped out my skull and removed the lower jaw while using a 55 gallon drum as a table. I scooped out the brains with a stick. Then used a garden hose to wash it out. Wrapped the entire skull in plastic wrap so it did not dry out.

We crossed the border at 2am with 4 hunters, 4 moose, and 5 guns. They never looked at our guns, meat, tags, or skulls.
Yeah it's hard to get anybody excited at 2am. I'd be tempted to cook it awhile in the drum then find a pressure washer or local car wash to finish it up. Just curious how everyone else has handled that. Thanks for the response!

GotDraw?

WKR
My Toyota has an electrical plug too but I don't think the electricity has the same output for running big tools like a freezer. Even my electric raft pump runs at half "umph" when used. I wouldn't trust that source with a freezer.

Even Canada moose legs are too tall with bones intact to put inside a freezer, so personally would expect to at least debone to fit inside a chest freezer or smaller coolers. Our hunters driving up and back through canada have learned not to freeze the meat in game bags but instead have each meat bag inside plastic so bags don't stick together frozen. A few guys have reported 500-lbs of meat bags all frozen solid and it was a frustrating event to get the meat out of the freezer back home.
You may be able to get a High Output Alternator that would be capable of supporting an inverter at 15a 120v, but not sure.

Worth looking into. If not, a small, quiet generator will do it.
JL

mabrams

FNG
We went to northern BC last year with a 10cubic foot Freezer and two large coolers. We shot one 51" moose and one tag went unfilled. I have a 6.5 bed and canopy on my truck and I think there would be no way to get two moose home without donating a LOT of meat. The boned-out moose fit into the 10CF freezer with little room to spare. The racks are a complete PITA.
WHEN I do it again the chest freezer is coming with me and if the plan is to shoot two then the cargo trailer is coming along. You can probably run the generator for 8-10 hours and by then you will need to pee or stretch and just top it off. If you go the cooler route by a hitch carrier and if needed you can strap it down. We had to do this in order to get our rack in the back of the truck. Good luck, be safe and make a memory.

fred14462

FNG
5 of us traveled to newfoundland last October. We brought back 5 moose 3 were processed up there and 2 back in New York. We built a large cooler out of scrap wool and 3 inches of foam. It fit 3 processed moose. We boned out the other 2 and fit them in 4 large coolers with frozen bottles of water. Everything remained frozen in the big cooler. And the moose in the coolers were fine. The ice in the milk jugs didnt melt. We were almost 36 hrs travel time.

I took my 12 cf chest freezer, Honda EU1000i generator, vacuum sealer, lots of premade freezer bags, cutting board, electric knife sharpener and sharpie onba NW alberta moose hunt last fall. Was 80* F in late Sept. 18 hrs from home and so glad I processed the meat myself and froze it overnight. Worked excellent. Bulk packed the boned meat designated for burger and ground it at home later. Wife was thrilled with the packaged meat when I got home.

Wildone

FNG
If it was me I’d have it cut and wrapped in Canada but it’s not me. You may want to check the regs for NY below seeing as you have to go through there to get to PA. If you want to DIY I would debone in CA at a minimum personally. I’d hate to see you loose a hard earned trophy. Good luck and post pic’s on the return.

If it was me I’d have it cut and wrapped in Canada but it’s not me. You may want to check the regs for NY below seeing as you have to go through there to get to PA. If you want to DIY I would debone in CA at a minimum personally. I’d hate to see you loose a hard earned trophy. Good luck and post pic’s on the return.

Interesting, that link states carcasses are allowed to be transported through NY as long as nothing is left in NY.