BC Moose meat to US

TerryD

FNG
We used a pickup bed completely full of coolers to haul most of two moose from northern BC to S. Dakota. The meat was hung and cooled, then boned out, before we left the camp. We used a little ice (10 lbs per cooler - replaced once) and everything was fine when we got home around 40 hours after leaving. We drove through temps up to 72 degrees but most of the drive we were at 60 or less.

Our coolers:
2x 150qt
3x 120qt
1x 72 qt
Thanks for sharing cooler sizes.

Just wanted to check back in with an update. I ended up making the 47 Hour drive . to British Columbia from Michigan. Shot a moose on the sixth day and was able to drive him back in the freezer I brought with. I had brought a generator that I would run all day and then would plug the freezer in whatever motel I stopped at during the night. I also brought the skull back - doing a euro. It was a tough drive but not terrible - my cameraman and I switched driving every time we filled up with gas. I’ll be spending the rest of the week butchering!
Was there any issues getting the meat across the border? Did you have to label every bag or anything? I’m going next year (driving) and I want to be prepared and not take any chances.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
Was there any issues getting the meat across the border? Did you have to label every bag or anything? I’m going next year (driving) and I want to be prepared and not take any chances.
No issues at all. No one even looked at it other than the compulsory inspection in BC. I had my bags labeled, just in case. Left evidence of sex on one hind quarter. Cleaned the skull really well, expecting them to want to inspect but no one looked at it.

Drove up 36 hours from Wyoming to where we hunted in B.C in 2019. if you can drive it its the way to go. I've flown with meat before and its not ideal, especially with that much meat. We killed two bulls early in our hunt and were able to get it process which made it much easier to fit into coolers we bought from a Canadian tire. best of luck hopefully you can connect on a nice bull and have an awesome hunt.
CNEdeer307,
I’m looking into a BC moose hunt with a buddy in 2024 or 2025. Did you go guided? If so who did you book with?